What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

About a week ago, we returned from a visit to our son in Indianapolis - usually fly but decided to drive this time - we broke up the trip going & coming through Kentucky, i.e. a couple of nights in Frankfort & three nights in Lexington - loved the scenery, horses, and bourbon distilleries.

One of my favorite TV series recently has been Justified w/ Timothy Olyphant (just ended after seasons), so suggested that Susan watch the show w/ me - she 'gave up' after about 6 episodes, season one (too violent for her), BUT I started the third season last night (my third watch -  :laugh:)  - really love this series - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on November 08, 2015, 07:33:18 AMStarting with one of the "big boys", and what a start with Peter Gunn (1958-61)! Seven episodes in to Season 1 and I have to say I am hooked.

Bill, thanks for pointing out the availability of "Gunn" on youtube. I missed most of these shows when I was a kid (I believe they were on late, after my usual bedtime in the 50s). Tonight I watched the first episode and was immediately struck by Lola Albright. Good actress, great singer! I then watched a Burke's Law episode ("Who Killed Cassadra Cass"), a show I watched religiously in the 60s, and who should appear, coincidentally, in a bikini no less?...Lola! I was in heaven  ;D ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 08, 2015, 01:24:05 PM
Bill, thanks for pointing out the availability of "Gunn" on youtube. I missed most of these shows when I was a kid (I believe they were on late, after my usual bedtime in the 50s). Tonight I watched the first episode and was immediately struck by Lola Albright. Good actress, great singer! I then watched a Burke's Law episode ("Who Killed Cassadra Cass"), a show I watched religiously in the 60s, and who should appear, in a bikini no less?...Lola! I was in heaven  ;D ;)

Sarge

Cool.  There is definitely a pattern to most the Gunn shows.  You'll pick up on it pretty quickly.  I will check out Burke's.  I also want to start The Naked City tv run and also the likes of M Squad and another titled Checkmate. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 08, 2015, 11:35:41 AM

Raced through season 1 of Treme and loved it. Will be binging on seasons 2, 3 and 4 over the next couple of weeks.

About 3-4 years ago, we went to New Orleans, our first visit since Katrina (use to go about every 3 years or so - mainly to medical meetings) - took several Katrina tours which included trips into some of the most devastated portions of the city; the French Quarter being on higher ground was pretty much spared and where we stayed.  Thanks for the mention - wife & I would certainly be interested.  Dave :)

Daverz

iZombie, or as I call it, Zombie Veronica Mars.

[asin]B010MZ4D00[/asin]

Mirror Image

Dave, in all honesty, the only thing I enjoyed about New Orleans was Cafe Du Monde. Love me some beignets with those mountains of powered sugar and rich, delicious coffee. :)

Wakefield

Quote from: Daverz on November 08, 2015, 02:16:35 PM
iZombie, or as I call it, Zombie Veronica Mars.

[asin]B010MZ4D00[/asin]

Actually, Zombie Veronica Mars sounds extremely enticing for any mind deformed after many years of watching trashy TV.

Just for the record: I say it as a real praise.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Daverz

Quote from: Gordo on November 11, 2015, 05:42:42 PM
Actually, Zombie Veronica Mars sounds extremely enticing for any mind deformed after many years of watching trashy TV.

Just for the record: I say it as a real praise.  :)

Yup, highly recommended to Veronica Mars fans is what I meant.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 02:18:21 PM
Dave, in all honesty, the only thing I enjoyed about New Orleans was Cafe Du Monde. Love me some beignets with those mountains of powered sugar and rich, delicious coffee. :)

Boy John - we must have been in different cities - LOL! ;)  I've been to New Orleans at least a dozen times over the decades and always enjoy the experience - on our last visit, wife & I probably consumed six dozen oysters or more, and had some delicious food; heard some great music at our hotel and also at Irvin Mayfield's place on Bourbon Street and Jeremy Davenport's lounge at the Ritz-Carlton hotel (pics below) -  shopped for art on Royal Street and bought several original prints; took a number of tours, one related to Katrina and another to the Louisiana swamp area (a favorite of ours over the years - the bayous, alligators, & Cajun food) - and a few more other things - bottom line, we love the city and actually may return early next year?  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 11, 2015, 08:08:14 PM
Boy John - we must have been in different cities - LOL! ;)  I've been to New Orleans at least a dozen times over the decades and always enjoy the experience - on our last visit, wife & I probably consumed six dozen oysters or more, and had some delicious food; heard some great music at our hotel and also at Irvin Mayfield's place on Bourbon Street and Jeremy Davenport's lounge at the Ritz-Carlton hotel (pics below) -  shopped for art on Royal Street and bought several original prints; took a number of tours, one related to Katrina and another to the Louisiana swamp area (a favorite of ours over the years - the bayous, alligators, & Cajun food) - and a few more other things - bottom line, we love the city and actually may return early next year?  Dave :)

Sounds like you have a great time when you're there, Dave. Perhaps I'll need to go back at some point to get a better experience. We went around May and the humidity was almost unbearable for me. I could stand outside for what seemed like five minutes and my shirt was soaked in sweat. I think there was even one day where I showered three times and never felt clean. The next place on my agenda is Montreal, QC and I'll probably visit Quebec City as well. Toronto is another city I'd love to visit at some point.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2015, 03:37:50 AM
Sounds like you have a great time when you're there, Dave. Perhaps I'll need to go back at some point to get a better experience. We went around May and the humidity was almost unbearable for me. I could stand outside for what seemed like five minutes and my shirt was soaked in sweat. I think there was even one day where I showered three times and never felt clean. The next place on my agenda is Montreal, QC and I'll probably visit Quebec City as well. Toronto is another city I'd love to visit at some point.

Hi John - we've always avoided the summer months on our visits (same as w/ the Carolina coast - prefer spring & early fall) - we've been to Canada many times, so all of your choices are great, and do try to go to Quebec City and stay at the Ch. Frontenac (pic below on the hill; restored old town below) - so much history there & great food, and of course w/ the French language, kind of like going to Europe.  Ottawa is not too far away and is worth a visit.  Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Not sure where to post this, but anyone wanting the Sopranos in Blu-ray -  it's available at amazon on a special one day offer of: $74.99
[asin]B00L5QX1FO[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

Wakefield

Quote from: Daverz on November 13, 2015, 01:05:19 AM
Les Revenants Season 2

I have read comments saying that this French TV series is quite better than the American "The Returned."

Anyway, "The Returned" has just one season on Netflix so far. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Daverz

Quote from: Gordo on November 13, 2015, 07:02:45 AM
I have read comments saying that this French TV series is quite better than the American "The Returned."

Anyway, "The Returned" has just one season on Netflix so far.

I've read that as well.

According to IMDB, the US version had only season before being canceled.  So any season 2 episodes should be in French, hopefully with subtitles if one don't understand French.

Wakefield

Quote from: Daverz on November 13, 2015, 03:15:16 PM
I've read that as well.

According to IMDB, the US version had only season before being canceled.  So any season 2 episodes should be in French, hopefully with subtitles if one don't understand French.

Bad news! I watched the 1st season on Netflix, but I hadn't read that it was cancelled.   :( >:(
-- Voltaire

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 17, 2015, 04:43:04 PM
Currently in the middle of Season 1 of Endeavour. We saw the Pilot when it first came out, but have had a hard time finding time to watch much tv until recently. Great show. I particularly like his boss and their relationship. Very interesting, knowing the older Morse.
[asin]B00C888NFQ[/asin]

One of the best in recent times!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 12, 2015, 05:46:23 AM
Hi John - we've always avoided the summer months on our visits (same as w/ the Carolina coast - prefer spring & early fall) - we've been to Canada many times, so all of your choices are great, and do try to go to Quebec City and stay at the Ch. Frontenac (pic below on the hill; restored old town below) - so much history there & great food, and of course w/ the French language, kind of like going to Europe.  Ottawa is not too far away and is worth a visit.  Dave :)

Thanks for the tips, Dave. 8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on November 15, 2015, 04:03:16 AM
One of the best in recent times!
I agree. We are on to season 2. Thoroughly enjoying it. And amazingly, making time to actually watch some tv!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 19, 2015, 04:37:41 AM
I agree. We are on to season 2. Thoroughly enjoying it. And amazingly, making time to actually watch some tv!

Indeed.  Same here.  In fact, we found one that all four of us enjoy.  Good action, decent plot and sub-plot lines, likable characters, and just enough of a corny edge at the right times to make it fun.