What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

Currently watching season 12 of NCIS on 13th Street here in Austria. I know we are a season behind the USA but NCIS is one of my favorite series and I'm a happy camper just to be able to watch a season I haven't seen yet. Yipeeeeeeee!!!!!  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

SimonNZ

Finished my binge of all four seasons of Treme, and while the quality is consistent the whole way through its really the first two series that are the most original and essential viewing. The third and half-length fourth keeping us up to date with our favorite characters and bringing their stories to their conclusion, but is less about the specific experience of New Orleans, the music and politics becoming more like background detail.

As great as the second series is its easy to see why they had a sharp ratings drop and had to rethink their approach: its so unrelentingly dark, documenting the return of violence to the city after the "Dunkirk spirit" (shown in the first season) has worn down, and there's robbery or murder or rape in almost every episode, along with ubiquitous corruption of police and politicians.

nickcar

don't know why  :-\ wacth this the Vampire Diaries season 6 again in my weekends..comparing with HBO's Ture Blood, this is much more lighter and funny, but TB is another awesomeness

Todd

Quasi-binge-watched Better Call Saul.  Enjoyed it immensely.  In some ways I prefer it to Breaking Bad.  It helps that the transition from Slippin' Jimmy to Saul Goodman seems more plausible than Walter White's transition from frustrated chemistry teacher to meth kingpin, though of course that can only be appreciated after watching the earlier series.  I like the somewhat slow approach, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 29, 2015, 11:09:32 AM
Quasi-binge-watched Better Call Saul.  Enjoyed it immensely.  In some ways I prefer it to Breaking Bad.  It helps that the transition from Slippin' Jimmy to Saul Goodman seems more plausible than Walter White's transition from frustrated chemistry teacher to meth kingpin, though of course that can only be appreciated after watching the earlier series.  I like the somewhat slow approach, too.
Where is this currently binge-watchable? (Amazon?) I've been really wanting to catch it.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 29, 2015, 06:46:50 PM
Where is this currently binge-watchable? (Amazon?) I've been really wanting to catch it.

Netflix, using optical media.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Todd on November 30, 2015, 05:37:25 AM

Netflix, using optical media.
Is it watchable if one hasn't followed Breaking Bad to the bitter end?

SonicMan46

Susan & I are watching Treme - started the 3rd season last night - your comments seem to match the reviews that I've read - we're thinking about a trip to New Orleans next spring - went about 4-5 years ago and would like to see what has happened in the meantime - took several Katrina-related tours then.

For me recently, re-watching Rome for the second time and ended the first season last night w/ the murder of Julius Caesar - Dave :)

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 21, 2015, 01:41:15 PM

Finished my binge of all four seasons of Treme, and while the quality is consistent the whole way through its really the first two series that are the most original and essential viewing. The third and half-length fourth keeping us up to date with our favorite characters and bringing their stories to their conclusion, but is less about the specific experience of New Orleans, the music and politics becoming more like background detail.

As great as the second series is its easy to see why they had a sharp ratings drop and had to rethink their approach: its so unrelentingly dark, documenting the return of violence to the city after the "Dunkirk spirit" (shown in the first season) has worn down, and there's robbery or murder or rape in almost every episode, along with ubiquitous corruption of police and politicians.

The new erato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 30, 2015, 09:05:49 AM
For me recently, re-watching Rome for the second time and ended the first season last night w/ the murder of Julius Caesar - Dave :)
I cannot for the life of me imagine where this is going to end!

Daverz

Quote from: Todd on November 29, 2015, 11:09:32 AM

Who could have imagined that the lead singer for Spinal Tap would become such a fine actor?

Hollywood

I'm also watching the Canadian TV series Motive.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Watched all GoT episodes the last 2 months (didn't before) and now I am a fanboy. It just works bloody well.
Currently: Fargo 2. Fargo 1 was great, Fargo 2... not 100% convinced as of now (ep6 or 7 now).
I'm waiting for german productions. They still cannot do those larger scale (and more money) series. We have good actors, but I don't know, maybe its about big money and avoiding risk.
Some really great things being produced in the US last years, it's brilliant. Before there was really a dark past, stupid series with haha lauging every haha second, that haha was haha not hahahahaa funny at all ahaha rather for haha retards hahahahaha.

Ah, also watched and enjoyed Sauls Season 1. Slow, but good.

SonicMan46

Quote from: The new erato on November 30, 2015, 09:26:12 AM
I cannot for the life of me imagine where this is going to end!

LOL! Not very far in the history of Rome - down to two episodes of the second (and last) season and Antony has just arrived in Alexandria (so now basically the Cleopatra movie w/ Burton & Taylor) - Octavian will emerge as the first Roman emperor and that's all she wrote - ;)  Dave

The new erato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 03, 2015, 01:53:12 PM
LOL! Not very far in the history of Rome - down to two episodes of the second (and last) season and Antony has just arrived in Alexandria (so now basically the Cleopatra movie w/ Burton & Taylor) - Octavian will emerge as the first Roman emperor and that's all she wrote - ;)  Dave
Keep us posted!

SimonNZ

Season two of Penny Dreadful, which I'm enjoying even more than season one.

The third episode in particular, a flashback to Eva Green's character being educated by a "wise woman" has an award-worthy performance from Patti LuPone and particularly well written, and cliche-avoiding dialogue between the two. Would even work as a stand-alone episode for anyone not interested in investing in the whole saga.

SimonNZ

Didn't make it to the fifteen minute mark before having to turn this series off for good, due to its affected and half-baked tabloid-style presentation.

Sorry James. I loved your My Dark Places book, but this is clearly going to be awful.

Super Blood Moon

drogulus

I'm watching Mr. Robot. It's intriguing but I'm a little concerned it might get Lost.....Orphan Black started strong then Lost it for me in the second season.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

ritter

I've been hooked on two TV series recently:

From Wikipedia: 1992 is an Italian political drama television series created by Alessandro Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi, Stefano Sardo and based on an idea by Stefano Accorsi. The first season, comprising ten episodes, premiered on March 24, 2015, on pay-tv Sky Italia channels Sky Atlantic and Sky Cinema 1.
Set in Rome, Milan and different Italian cities, the TV series offers a thrilling story following six people whose lives are intertwined with the rapidly changing political landscape in the early 1990s, during which Italy was gripped by the Clean Hands investigation into political corruption. Subsequently, this led to the termination of the First Republican Party as well as the termination of several other Italian parties. This controversial period in Italy resulted in the suicide of various political figures.
The series has been compared to House of Cards, The Sopranos, and The West Wing

Sadly, new year's eve sems to have arrived after 10 episodes, but apparently 1993 is in the making.  :)

Again from Wikipedia:  Versailles, 1667. Haunted by the trauma of the Fronde as the nobles of his court begin to rebel against the monarchy, Louis XIV (George Blagden) in his 28th year in a Machiavellian political move decides to make the nobility submit by imposing a definite move of the court from Paris to Versailles, his father's former hunting lodge. Trapped by their king's "invitation", the nobles of Paris gradually come to see the castle as a gilded prison and soon even the most humble courtiers of the king begin to show their viciousness as the alcoves of secrets, politics and war are maneuvered through, revealing Versailles in all its glory and brutality.
Episodes 1 through 8 (of a total of 10 for season 1) have so far been aired in Spain. Season 2 will be filmed in 2016. Great fun!

lisa needs braces

I thought I had previously chimed in on Better Call Saul--

It's excellent and it's so good that the first season ends up feeling too short. It has a nice character development and plot arc and a very poignant emotional payoff. In fact, you can watch it even if you hadn't seen Breaking Bad--all you need to know is that the central character is destined to become a shady and criminal lawyer.