What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drasko

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 24, 2015, 06:07:18 PM
If you decide to persevere, Season 5 is set for release (in the US at least) next week
http://www.amazon.com/Shameless-Season-William-H-Macy/dp/B013JBJ8HC/ref=pd_sim_74_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51I4wh5LMoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR139%2C160_&refRID=0DXEHMF3RZQ8GXZE8030

But you may want to pay attention to that first really negative review.

Took a break mid 4th season, maybe in few weeks I'll enjoy it more. Shame, quite liked first three.

Now starting these, Jessica Jones looks promising after two episodes, the other one is tolerable.

Todd

Finished the remaining eight episodes of The Man in the High Castle.  It's thoroughly enjoyable.  One gets to finally see the man in the high castle, and it's not the person one wants it to be.  (Not having read the book, I don't know if it is the same person, or even if the person it seems to be is the actual person, or if there is an actual person.)  I loved the ending, with surprise appearances of American pop culture icons like Stanley Kubrick and Ronald Reagan.  The show could end as-is, but given its success, a second season is coming.  I shall watch that, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on December 27, 2015, 08:49:17 AM

Finished the remaining eight episodes of The Man in the High Castle.  It's thoroughly enjoyable.  One gets to finally see the man in the high castle, and it's not the person one wants it to be.  (Not having read the book, I don't know if it is the same person, or even if the person it seems to be is the actual person, or if there is an actual person.)  I loved the ending, with surprise appearances of American pop culture icons like Stanley Kubrick and Ronald Reagan.  The show could end as-is, but given its success, a second season is coming.  I shall watch that, too.

I have a couple of gripes. Who cast the lead actors? They're killing me! I had the same problem with much of the cast of Childhoods End. I have not had this problem with Homeland, Better Call Saul, The Americans or Mr. Robot. These shows are well cast throughout.

The other gripe is The Man in the High Castle has the look someone called "prestige television drab".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Drasko

This is turning out to be perfectly decent rom-com.

Super Blood Moon

Wakefield

Quote from: Super Blood Moon on January 08, 2016, 07:47:45 AM
THE LEFTOVERS (season two) is excellent.

I fully enjoyed season one. I had some doubts about Justin Theroux, but his interpretation when he reads Patty's burial prayer was superb: the guy can really perform.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Daverz

Quote from: Todd on December 27, 2015, 08:49:17 AM

If you like alternate history from roughly the same period, try Manhattan.  (Well, it seemed like alternate history to me!)

Super Blood Moon

Quote from: Gordo on January 08, 2016, 10:21:47 AM
I fully enjoyed season one. I had some doubts about Justin Theroux, but his interpretation when he reads Patty's burial prayer was superb: the guy can really perform.  :)

You need to see 2. :)

Hollywood

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

lisa needs braces

So this past August, film director David Fincher was going to start shooting a tv series for HBO that unfortunately didn't happen because of disagreement over finances. Actors were already selected and had been rehearsing for a month. A thread on reddit calling this fallout a "missed opportunity" got me curious about the source material.

It's a UK 12 episode (2 seasons) series called "Utopia." I just saw the first episode (made in 2013) and quite enjoyed it, and I can understand why people are bummed out that we won't get Fincher's take on this material. Nonetheless the original series seems to be decent enough and has quite a few fans.

I only saw the first episode and the subject matter seems to be a group of geeks obsessing over an obscure graphic novel that other characters are searching and willing to kill for. What I especially liked about it was how hyper-stylized it was.

Anyway this is the first episode. An impeccable pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4O0iF6RpGg

NikF

'The Leftovers' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_(TV_series)

We're about to watch the last few episodes of season two. Up to this point it has certainly held our attention throughout. Also, I'd like to photograph Margaret Qualley.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Daverz

Quote from: -abe- on January 10, 2016, 04:05:19 AM
So this past August, film director David Fincher was going to start shooting a tv series for HBO that unfortunately didn't happen because of disagreement over finances. Actors were already selected and had been rehearsing for a month. A thread on reddit calling this fallout a "missed opportunity" got me curious about the source material.

It's a UK 12 episode (2 seasons) series called "Utopia." I just saw the first episode (made in 2013) and quite enjoyed it, and I can understand why people are bummed out that we won't get Fincher's take on this material. Nonetheless the original series seems to be decent enough and has quite a few fans.

I only saw the first episode and the subject matter seems to be a group of geeks obsessing over an obscure graphic novel that other characters are searching and willing to kill for. What I especially liked about it was how hyper-stylized it was.

Loved this show, though it had the kind of inconsistency of characterization that drives me nuts.  HBO was going to do a remake?

Cato

Quote from: Hollywood on January 08, 2016, 04:31:13 PM
Season 5 of Hell on Wheels.

Mister Bohannon is one of our favorites! 

Too bad the series is ending, but eventually the railroad was finished!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Daverz on January 10, 2016, 05:49:55 PM
Loved this show, though it had the kind of inconsistency of characterization that drives me nuts.  HBO was going to do a remake?

Yep. Didn't work out for some reason.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/utopia-david-fincher-hbo-dead-actors-released-1201495743/

Wakefield

Quote from: -abe- on January 10, 2016, 04:05:19 AM

I watched both seasons in 2015.

By far the best TV series I saw the last year: visually and musically compelling; great script, if you enjoy conspiracy theories(*); a high and frequently shocking dose of violence, good performances.

It's a shame its cancellation after two seasons.  >:(

(*) I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I think they are a good manifestation of an idea quite generally accepted today: formal political structures of power aren't all the power, not even the most important part of it.
-- Voltaire

lisa needs braces

^Yes I searched the thread and saw the former brief discussion. I'm three episodes in!

Drasko

Utterly stupid, oddly addictive, and perfect stress relief.

SimonNZ

True Detective season two

I'm surprised to learn this has gotten mixed reviews. I thought it was superb. Even better than season one, imo. And I was especially impressed that they didn't try to reprise anything remotely close to the plots or character dynamics from the first.

Jay F

I've been bingewatching Major Crimes. I like Rusty's storyline, and GW Bailey has been a favorite since St. Elsewhere. I'm halfway through Season 3, at the end of which I have to decide on whether to buy Season 4 on Amazon Video. I've watched the DVDs so far. Does Amazon Video cut out the commercials, does anyone know?