What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jay F on January 21, 2016, 02:31:24 PM
I've been bingewatching Major Crimes. I like Rusty's storyline, and GW Bailey has been a favorite since St. Elsewhere. I'm halfway through Season 3, at the end of which I have to decide on whether to buy Season 4 on Amazon Video. I've watched the DVDs so far. Does Amazon Video cut out the commercials, does anyone know?

Susan & I love to watch Major Crimes together (usually we are on separate TVs) and have watched 4 seasons; bought the entire The Closer series which we also viewed together.

For me, I just finished the first season of Mozart in the Jungle - despite being (in part) about classical music (along w/ sex & boozing - not a problem for me - ;)), I'm not completely into this series and expected to really enjoy - however, I will definitely watch the second season.  Dave :)

drogulus

I just finished the second season of The Leftovers. Yes, horrible people are made worse by horrible beliefs, just like good people are. It's utterly fascinating and repellant at the same time. But consider this, the falsity of religious beliefs has a context of empirical reality that makes belief, how you say, special, not literal. The show changes that context by forcing a particularly nasty version (among the many available) to be true. Playing along with the counterfactual, as one does for a show like this, wouldn't people be more inclined to reject evil false beliefs in the face of an evil true one? I'm thinking of the Holocaust of course, but the show prompts that. That's why the show repels, it cooks the books by positing a primary evil provoking evil false belief, while in the world evil false beliefs everywhere create evil reality. The show pretends to importance, to "raise issues", to tell some kind of truth. But no, it can't, its foundational lie poisons everything after. It's just a pretentious supernatural horror show.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Now I'm watching Napoleon And Love, from 1974, with Ian Holm as Lenny Bonaparte and Billie Whitelaw as Josephine. It's very well written and acted, lots of great supporting players including the presposterously beautiful and talented Nicola Pagett. The view attributed to the French about sexlovepolitics intertwined gets a good workout.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I just found out that Chris Chibnall is replacing Steven Moffat and show runner for Doctor Who starting 2018! I was actually expecting it would be Toby Whithouse. It's a bit of a shame though......Moffat has given so much to the show and improved it by miles in 2013 (most of his episodes from 2010-2012 were mediocre imo but some certainly had an element of genius) and now says he won't return to it. After Captain Jack Harkness, River Song, Weeping Angels, Gas Mask Zombies, Vashta Nerada, Dr. Moon, Clockwork Robots, Smilers, Liz 10 and a multitude of other great characters and monsters, I wonder what Chibnall can come up with after the last episode he wrote about......little black cubes...... 8)

Drasko

Finished the rest of Made in Chelsea, still utterly stupid, and repetitive, but still perfect brain relaxant.

Also the first season of The Hour, excellent British cold war newsroom/spy thriller. Superb cast, great atmosphere and period feel, plot bit muddy toward the end (nothing detrimental, though). Looking forward to second, and unfortunately the last, season. Hat tip to Gordo for recommendation.

Monsieur Croche

Ripper Street, BBC via Netflix [basic]; have progressed through the first two seasons [still up] and have begun the now added Season three -- Yay.

Terrific procedural detective series set in late Victorian era London, diving straight into the non-romantic world of poverty, desperate or simply dark sociopath behavior, etc. Each episode has a complete procedural story, while throughout the series the principal characters are very well-developed.

The BBC standards of their usual can full of excellent actors -- some better known than others -- cast in the principal roles through to the least of the incidental minor personages, the consistently high quality of the writing [replete with Victorian era usage and slang -- also wonderful and fun], and across the board very high production values make for a very high level of excellence, and it is highly engaging.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Daverz

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 29, 2016, 10:05:36 AM
Ripper Street, BBC via Netflix [basic]; have progressed through the first two seasons [still up] and have begun the now added Season three -- Yay.

You might like The Frankenstein Chronicles as well (with Sean Bean as the detective), though it's darker in tone (truth be told, it's a bit dour).

Eli

In on episode 4 of the new War and Peace. Lily James is an adorable Natasha, I have a crush. It's not a bad series, I just wonder when the British will realize their efforts to adapt Russian classics just fail. It's the basic plot well adapted but without any of the soul behind the characters, without any of the Russianess. Some of my favorite parts of the book are just so dry or unexplained in the series, the entire character of Andre just seems like a stiff bore and the scene with the oak is never understood. Count Ilya also has little of the joviality which makes him so loveable. They didn't even smash their glasses when they toasted to the Tsar.

Daverz

Quote from: Eli on January 29, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
In on episode 4 of the new War and Peace. Lily James is an adorable Natasha, I have a crush. It's not a bad series, I just wonder when the British will realize their efforts to adapt Russian classics just fail. It's the basic plot well adapted but without any of the soul behind the characters, without any of the Russianess. Some of my favorite parts of the book are just so dry or unexplained in the series, the entire character of Andre just seems like a stiff bore and the scene with the oak is never understood. Count Ilya also has little of the joviality which makes him so loveable. They didn't even smash their glasses when they toasted to the Tsar.

I've really been enjoying the series, but, yes, these people are not believable as Russians.

But the same thing was said of Dr. Zhivago, and that's a classic.

Drasko

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 29, 2016, 10:05:36 AM

Terrific procedural detective series set in late Victorian era London, diving straight into the non-romantic world of poverty, desperate or simply dark sociopath behavior, etc. Each episode has a complete procedural story, while throughout the series the principal characters are very well-developed.

The BBC standards of their usual can full of excellent actors -- some better known than others -- cast in the principal roles through to the least of the incidental minor personages, the consistently high quality of the writing [replete with Victorian era usage and slang -- also wonderful and fun], and across the board very high production values make for a very high level of excellence, and it is highly engaging.

Completely agreed! I'm big fan of Ripper Street, especially first two seasons. Finale of second season is some of the finest TV I've seen in years.

I wasn't so keen on third season initially, seemed overblown, but as progressed I liked it more.

Autumn Leaves

I don't watch a lot of Movies/TV these days but I have a few seies on the go at the moment:

The Wire - Season 3
Justified - Season 2
Battlestar Galactica - Final Season
Game Of Thrones - Season 1

Also planning to finish watching Lost and get into The Walking Dead at some stage.
I probably have enough to keep me going a few years :)

Jay F

Quote from: Draško on February 14, 2016, 06:08:32 AM

My favorite show of the '00s/'10s cusp. Loved Man Bangs, Lonely Boy, and Queen B.

Hollywood

Currently watching season 3 of Call the Midwife.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Daverz

Quote from: Hollywood on February 14, 2016, 11:22:55 PM
Currently watching season 3 of Call the Midwife.

One of my guilty pleasures.  The Brits can do sentimental glop without having it completely dissolve into kitsch.  But I tried to start on season 5 the other day, and just couldn't get into it.  The topic was depressing and there was no Chummy to compensate.

Drasko

Quote from: Jay F on February 14, 2016, 08:16:10 AM
My favorite show of the '00s/'10s cusp. Loved Man Bangs, Lonely Boy, and Queen B.

Yes, I enjoyed it far more than have anticipated. Especially first three seasons, the ones more high school and college related. With fourth season and that entire Monaco storyline the show jumped the shark a bit, in my opinion, and all those later criminal plots (fake cousins, the Bass family saga ...) I found somehow less engaging than earlier simpler stuff. It is well cast, my favorites were Serena and Little Jenny. Lively, whom I haven't watched before is quite radiant, lots of charisma. 

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SimonNZ

Cato

The Grinder has turned out to be one of the funniest shows this year: Episode 15 last night was especially good!  Check out the opening 5 minutes: the show usually begins with a show within a show, i.e. The Grinder is about a very hammy actor who has retired from a TV show about a lawyer whose nickname is "The Grinder."

After a decade of playing a TV lawyer, the actor is now trying to join his brother and father in their....law firm...in Idaho.  8)  But since he is not a real lawyer, there are problems.   ;)

See:

http://www.fox.com/the-grinder/full-episodes
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

drogulus

I'm watching the original Poldark, which is lots of fun.