What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Next week I'll start watching The Night Manager, from the John Le Carre novel. I thought it was going to be a movie but now I see it's going to be a series on AMC. The reviews are very good.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2016, 04:30:42 PM
     Next week I'll start watching The Night Manager, from the John Le Carre novel. I thought it was going to be a movie but now I see it's going to be a series on AMC. The reviews are very good.

The first episode was excellent.  So I started on the book.  While Laurie and Hiddleston are very good, I keep imagining the characters as Christopher Plummer and Ralph Fiennes.

NikF

The Camomile Lawn (1992) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Camomile_Lawn#TV_adaptation

'The Camomile Lawn is a family saga in which World War Two is a catalyst for change in the lives of its characters. Adapted from Mary Wesley's hugely popular semi-autobiographical novel, it is set both during the war and also forty years later at a family funeral.' - Yeah, that accurately sums it up. It was photographed by UK television stalwart Ernest Vincze (Doctor Who, A Very British Coup, Jeeves and Wooster etc) in a manner that's warm and direct but never overpowering - simply showing sunny days that last forever. The cast features faces known to those who are familiar with British sitcoms and dramas, but (predictably) the standouts for me were always Tara Fitzgerald and Jennifer Ehle, who despite playing characters emotionally and physically different from each other both do so while being feminine and wonderfully provocative.
Also: the theme tune was based on Ravel's SQ and is probably the first time I heard it.

e: we're watching this on a DVD and the image and sound aren't good.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Hollywood

Starting on 29 Feb. here in Austria on BBC Entertainment I'll be checking out the BBC TV series Father Brown.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

The new erato

Quote from: Hollywood on February 25, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
Starting on 29 Feb. here in Austria on BBC Entertainment I'll be checking out the BBC TV series Father Brown.
Rather silly plots, especially in later seasons, but lots of quirky English rural charm.

I've been charmed by the first season of Frankie and Grace with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as well as Sam Waterson and Martin Heen as well, on Netflix recently.

NikF

Quote from: North Star on March 04, 2016, 12:29:13 PM
Lately: Mad Men. I remember NikF posting about this (or perhaps a related) dance scene some (a long?) time ago. . . :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/WPW7_RQmSCU

Yeah, you're right, it wasn't that one. It was this https://youtu.be/DKol_ThaMWc But it doesn't appear to be in her current repertoire. Currently she dances to 'Poinciana' by Ahmad Jamal, and more recently to parts of the second movement of Khachaturian's piano concerto. :laugh: And as far as the latter is concerned the 'dance' seems to consist solely of slowly swaying hips with her arms overhead moving in a snake-like manner - yes, it's not much, but we don't watch a lot of television and need to entertain ourselves somehow.  ;D

Anyway, what do you think of Mad Men? Enjoying it?
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on March 04, 2016, 01:23:22 PM
Yeah, you're right, it wasn't that one. It was this https://youtu.be/DKol_ThaMWc But it doesn't appear to be in her current repertoire. Currently she dances to 'Poinciana' by Ahmad Jamal, and more recently to parts of the second movement of Khachaturian's piano concerto. :laugh: And as far as the latter is concerned the 'dance' seems to consist solely of slowly swaying hips with her arms overhead moving in a snake-like manner - yes, it's not much, but we don't watch a lot of television and need to entertain ourselves somehow.  ;D

Anyway, what do you think of Mad Men? Enjoying it?
Yes, I remembered what it really was.   :laugh:

I certainly am enjoying it. How could one not, with lines like "She died as she lived - surrounded by the people she answered phones for."??

E:
Quote from: NikF on March 04, 2016, 01:23:52 PMHope you don't mind, but I replied to you in the television thread http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,24223.msg959236.html#msg959236
I try to be zen about this... :P
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

Quote from: Cato on February 16, 2016, 10:58:00 AM
One of the best shows ever:

I need to see that one. Odenkirk is the man!

Me: Horace and Pete - dark, deep, at times profund, touching and Alan Alda delivers a hilariously performance as rhe inappropriate Uncle Pete.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Todd

Thanks to Amazon Prime, I finally got to watch all of Wolf Hall.  Pacing, dialogue, sets, and actors are all top-flight.  PBS really needs to stop putting the best shows on so late at night.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jay F

Just finished Bosch, season 2. If anything makes Amazon Prime worth $100, this is it. If you're an Angelophile, you don't want to miss it. Los Angeles is second only to Harry Bosch as a character in both Connelly's novels and this fine series. Season 2 incorporates story from Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote.

[asin]http://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-Season-2-Official-Trailer/dp/B01AB17IGQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1457893604&sr=1-2&keywords=bosch[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Jay F on March 13, 2016, 10:27:05 AM
Just finished Bosch, season 2. If anything makes Amazon Prime worth $100, this is it. If you're an Angelophile, you don't want to miss it. Los Angeles is second only to Harry Bosch as a character in both Connelly's novels and this fine series. Season 2 incorporates story from Trunk Music, The Drop, and The Last Coyote.

[asin]http://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-Season-2-Official-Trailer/dp/B01AB17IGQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1457893604&sr=1-2&keywords=bosch[/asin]

Indeed!  Season 1 was terrific!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Over the last while:

Rewatched all three series of The Newsroom and enjoyed it even more this time around. A few problematic bits here and there (particularly in the first season) and some Sorkin foibles along the way, but I don't really mind those, and am glad someone is treating their audience as politically engaged and open to debate, even if it raises accusations of preachiness. And such a strong cast, the regular supporting actors really impressed me this time.

At the end I went online to see maybe what the critics had to say, maybe hear some pros and cons and hear about favorite episodes. I wasn't prepared at all for the avalanche of hostility the show inspired generally, or the unexpected outrage over one brief sub-story in the second to last episode (which I thought was handled respectfully).

Jay F

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 16, 2016, 04:36:56 PM
Over the last while:

Rewatched all three series of The Newsroom and enjoyed it even more this time around. A few problematic bits here and there (particularly in the first season) and some Sorkin foibles along the way, but I don't really mind those, and am glad someone is treating their audience as politically engaged and open to debate, even if it raises accusations of preachiness. And such a strong cast, the regular supporting actors really impressed me this time.

At the end I went online to see maybe what the critics had to say, maybe hear some pros and cons and hear about favorite episodes. I wasn't prepared at all for the avalanche of hostility the show inspired generally, or the unexpected outrage over one brief sub-story in the second to last episode (which I thought was handled respectfully).

I loved this show, and am a fan of Aaron Sorkin's writing in general. I think I'll watch The Newsroom again, now that I have Amazon Prime. I've hardly seen as effective a use of a pop tune in filmed entertainment as Mr. Goopy's "Fix You." (I liked the Gilbert and Sullivan ep on West Wing a lot, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8slDn8x4g

SimonNZ

Quote from: Jay F on March 16, 2016, 05:11:57 PM
I loved this show, and Aaron Sorkin's writing in general. I think I'll watch it again, now that I have Amazon Prime. I've hardly seen as effective a use of a pop tune in filmed entertainment as Mr. Goopy's "Fix You." (I liked the Gilbert and Sullivan ep on West Wing a lot, too.)

Speaking of Sorkin and music...Massive Attack's "Angel" in one very important bit of West Wing. I've seen West Wing right through a dozen times now, and that sequence gets me every time.

Jay F

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 16, 2016, 05:16:50 PM
Speaking of Sorkin and music...Massive Attack's "Angel" in one very important bit of West Wing. I've seen West Wing right through a dozen times now, and that sequence gets me every time.

Which season and episode? The video on youtube is not from WW.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Jay F on March 16, 2016, 05:33:54 PM
Which season and episode? The video on youtube is not from WW.

Season 4, Episode 21, "Commencement". Zoey Bartlet at a nightclub with her French boyfriend...

but the music, with its building menace, begins before that scene and continues after

Daverz

Quote from: Jay F on March 13, 2016, 10:27:05 AM

I was pretty meh on S1, which I thought had an anti-climactic ending.  But I'll probably try S2.

I'm excited about the new season of The Americans.

I can recommend the 6 episodes in two seasons of the the UK police thriller Prey.

If you like Le Carre, you should catch The Night Manager.  Very well done.

The UK police procedural River may go too much into character development, but I've enjoyed it so far.

drogulus

Having watched 5 seasons of Prime Suspect it strikes me that its influence has been great. It goes Prime Suspect>The Wire>Foyles War>George Gently>Bosch. A whole genre of humanist police procedurals has arisen on 2 continents.

I can't say enough for what Helen Mirren has done. What's been said a thousand times is true, character and actor have never been better matched. If anyone wants to say it's the best TV series performance ever I wouldn't argue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Drasko

Icelandic police procedural. Small port town in the middle of nowhere, snowed in, stranded ferry, headless limbless corpse, murderer on the loose. Few episodes in, looks very good.