What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 04, 2016, 01:57:12 AM

The Bridge, series three

By far the strongest of the three, in my opinion

Thanks, Simon. I've just ordered the first season.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on April 23, 2016, 08:24:23 AM

Finished the six episode second season of Catastrophe.  I liked it even more than the first season.  ........Good stuff, and over in flash.

Based on Todd's comments, Susan & I just finished the first season last night and completely agree w/ his thoughts - funny, adult, quirky and over in a jiffy - will start season two tonight.  Dave :)

Kontrapunctus

Too many to list, but two recent additions to my lineup include "The Night Manager" and "Orphan Black."

George

Just finished S01 for the second time, now viewing S02, also for the second time. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Fargo: season two

I was unsure at the beginning - a couple of characters and situations seemed to be trying too hard for some kind of Coen-esque quirkiness - but by the end that didn't matter and I thought it was superb.

The central performances and family dynamic of the two sherifs and their daughter/wife was particularly well written and acted, and brings the much needed heart and gentle understatement amongst all the excess and madness.

nathanb

Hey, I just finished Better Call Saul (Season 1) for the first time!

SimonNZ

Quote from: nathanb on May 06, 2016, 07:14:03 PM
Hey, I just finished Better Call Saul (Season 1) for the first time!

How do you rate it?

nathanb

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 06, 2016, 07:32:55 PM
How do you rate it?

Well, I should preface this by saying that I am one of the furthest from being an expert regarding TV or movies. For probably 4 or 5 years, I didn't really watch stuff at all besides nostalgic favorites. Quite simply, film sounded nice, but time with music always sounded nicer. In fact, it was music that made me go back finally. Olga Neuwirth of all people actually led me to a David Lynch binge, which led me to a Netflix subscription, and yada yada yada I watch a few things here and there.

Anyway, I started watching Breaking Bad finally at the beginning of this year to make good on countless recommendations and became quickly obsessed. I can give Better Call Saul about as much praise as one can give such a thing; it's a spin-off, it shouldn't be compared to Breaking Bad, and it's kind of a fantastic show in it's own way. There's less deals, kidnappings, etc, but Saul (Jimmy) is also a more emotional character, so it's more engaging in that sense. The first couple of episodes, including the encounter with Tuco Salamanca, were perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I would rate it highly, after Season 1 is said and done. The show has successfully broken away from its predecessor to the extent that we, as viewers, care about Jimmy's endeavors without having to think of his Breaking Bad role every time we picture him. Oh yeah, we get Mike's backstory too.

Drasko

I like the idea, the period, the milieu, the music, the production quality ... generally everything that goes in the background of the show, but the actual story is the weakest link, sort of another Scorsese variation on Goodfellas and Wolf, successful guy blows everything in a cloud of coke. Tiresome and predictable. Characters, again supporting ones are often more interesting than the main ones which at times seem like such a bunch of bumbling idiots that it becomes hard to believe that once they were on top of their game (record label business). Flawed but there is enough to make me want to see the second season.

mc ukrneal

Did you know it was National Twilight Zone Day? Then again, isn't everyday a Twilight Zone day?!?!? :)

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/twilight-zone-day-damon-lindelof-favorite-episode-105010127.html
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Jeff Beal, composer of the "House of Cards" music, has written a flute concerto for Sharon Bezaly, which also involves electric bass guitar. Performances are already slated for 7 countries.

SimonNZ

Homeland, season five

The best season so far, imo.

Wakefield

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 13, 2016, 07:10:16 PM

Homeland, season five

The best season so far, imo.

SPOILER ALERT (an old one, though):

I watched the first three seasons of Homeland, but after Brody's death I wasn't able to follow the series.

Your comment could be the encouragement I need. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

HIPster

Quote from: Gordo on May 16, 2016, 07:19:56 AM
SPOILER ALERT (an old one, though):

I watched the first three seasons of Homeland, but after Brody's death I wasn't able to follow the series.

Your comment could be the encouragement I need. :)

Hi Gordo.

I found seasons 4 & 5 to be way better than season 3.  A solid restart to the series.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on May 16, 2016, 04:25:30 PM
Hi Gordo.

I found seasons 4 & 5 to be way better than season 3.  A solid restart to the series.

Thanks, Dave! Apparently, I need to give a chance to those seasons.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Drasko

I really like this, somewhat unexpectedly. Shiri Appelby, whom I don't think I've watched before, is quite good.

George

Currently on my third or fourth pass through The IT Crowd. Any fans of this series? I think it's brilliant!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Parts Unknown: Season 6 w/ host Anthony Bourdain - just showed up for Netflix streaming - last night, I watched 'Cuba', 'Marseille, France', and 'Okinawa, Japan' - all excellent - his travel companion in Marseille is chef Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin in NYC (Susan & I ate there once years ago - not sure who the chief chef was then?); the list of episodes for this season is attached.  Dave :)

P.S. CLICK on the attached image for an enlargement, if interested.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 17, 2016, 02:20:34 PM

Finally getting around to this, and pleased to find it every bit as good as people had been saying. Not at all a mere spin-off.

I hope we eventually find out when/why he changes his name (I know he mentions it in a Breaking Bad episode...).