What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on May 22, 2016, 01:43:51 PM
I hope we eventually find out when/why he changes his name (I know he mentions it in a Breaking Bad episode...).

In one of those Better Call Saul episodes (where he's conning people into buying fake watches) he jokes that his name is Saul Goodman "....because 's all good, man...geddit" or something like that.

I haven't seen season two yet. Is he still just Slippin Jimmy at the end of that?

TD: recently watched:

Mr Robot - season one
Ripper Street - season two
The Night Manager

SimonNZ

House Of Cards, season three

The acting and production in this show has always been so good that I've been willing to forgive all the preposterous elements, but in this season that spilled over into the story arc of the previously perfectly handled and inscrutable character of Claire Underwood, making it, particularly in the last episodes, the weakest and most dissapointing of the three so far.

SonicMan46

Hawaii Five-O (2010-2016) - I started the first season of this 'new' version of the old TV series w/ Jack Lord & James MacArthur a few nights ago.  Enjoying the interaction between the two main characters - the ratings have been pretty good - 7.4/10, iMDB & 75% Rotten Tomatoes - will likely continue onto the second season.  Dave :)

QuoteCBS books a new version of the classic "Hawaii Five-0" series, with Alex O'Loughlin in the lead role as Det. Steve McGarrett and Scott Caan portraying Danno. The detectives are part of an elite task force whose mission is to eliminate crime on the beaches of the Aloha State. Assisting McGarrett and Danno is former Honolulu Police detective Chin Ho Kelly, who has been relegated to a federal security patrol after being wrongfully accused of corruption. Chin's fresh-out-of-the-academy cousin, Kono, also joins the team as she tries to establish herself among the department's elite.

Hollywood

Been watching Season 10 of Criminal Minds. Interesting to see that the Ghost Whisperer has joined the FBI's BAU team.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

SonicMan46

Roots (2016) - remake now airing on the History Channel - 4 episodes, two hours each (w/ commercials) - just finished episode 3 tonight, and will watch the last one tomorrow - synopsis below w/ the names of some of the actors - not overwhelmed w/ this new production but have enjoyed watching the mini-series. Dave :)

QuoteThe classic story of "Roots" is retold in this miniseries based on Alex Haley's 1976 novel. The show paints a portrait of American slavery through the journey of a family that has a will to survive through many hardships. Malachi Kirby stars as Kunta Kinte, a proud and educated young man who uses those traits to empower himself when he is captured and sold into slavery. While he is enslaved, he challenges his fellow slaves to fight for their freedom as he continues working toward achieving his dream of escaping and returning to his homeland of The Gambia. The miniseries also stars Emmy winner Laurence Fishburne as Haley; Grammy nominee Anika Noni Rose as Kunta's daughter, Kizzy, who is bought by Tom Lea (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), who rapes and impregnates her; and Oscar winner Forest Whitaker as slave musician Fiddler, who mentors Kunta.

Drasko

The TV series that I'm not currently watching:

Hart of Dixie - Dire! Everything about it is awful, cliche upon a cliche upon a cliche. Rachel Bilson is a pretty girl, but I'd be more believable as the Queen of England than she is as a thoracic surgeon. Couldn't finish second episode.

Hap & Leonard - this should have been much better but somehow it's just really boring. With all the references still doesn't manage to get the feeling of the period (the 80s) across. Purefoy is miscast. The only plus is that Louisiana (standing in for east Texas) is beautiful. Gave up after three episodes.

Chicago PD - seemingly slick, well produced, well acted police procedural, but scripts get progressively thinner and thinner and posturing bigger and bigger. Plowed somehow through entire first season but that's it.

Lucifer - Hugely disappointing. How does one make so potentially cool character as Lucifer so annoying and repetitive? Pathetic writing, surprising from creator of Californication and Dawson's Creek. Less surprising is that police procedural part of the show is extremely naive and another pretty young thing (Lauren German) is thoroughly unbelievable as police detective. I've made it through eight episodes so far, but whether I'll make it to the end of season is questionable.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Draško on June 05, 2016, 03:53:27 AM
The TV series that I'm not currently watching:

Hart of Dixie - Dire! Everything about it is awful, cliche upon a cliche upon a cliche. Rachel Bilson is a pretty girl, but I'd be more believable as the Queen of England than she is as a thoracic surgeon. Couldn't finish second episode.

Agree w/ Hart of Dixie - started the first season a few years ago, and stopped half way through.  Just finished Roots, as posted previously - better than the original?  Probably not?  Worth a watch - well, recommended if you like the topic - I plan not to watch again and certainly will not be a purchase.

Still enjoying Hawaii Five-O - just about done w/ the second season.  Dave :)

The new erato

Quote from: Draško on June 16, 2016, 03:58:42 AM

The handheld cameras in "In The Thick of it" unfortunately made me seasick. And I usually don't get seasick in boats.

Drasko

Quote from: The new erato on June 16, 2016, 04:07:15 AM
The handheld cameras in "In The Thick of it" unfortunately made me seasick. And I usually don't get seasick in boats.

Yeah, I found it disorienting at first as well but concentrating on subtitles helped me and the show is definitely worth trying to cope with it if possible.

Kontrapunctus

SonicMan46

Still watching the new Hawaii Five-O - on Season 3 and enjoying.  Last night, I started the first season of the Vikings from 2013 - free on Amazon Prime, not sure the upcoming seasons will also be free but liking the series so far.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Just started Season 5 last night and still enjoying!

SimonNZ

Recently finished:

Hannibal - series three

In two distinct halves: I was loving the first four or five episodes, viewing the same post series two cliffhanger from differing perspectives, letting the narrative unfold slowly and seemingly luxuriating in the pleasure of creating dream-like imagery. But once they started into what is now the third filming of the Red Dragon story it quickly became far more standard storytelling, and the characters motivations became more muddled and more preposterous.

Started:

Ray Donovan - series three

Jay F

Middle Ages soap opera: romance and religion, heroes and villains.

[asin]B0099114LA[/asin]

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The new erato

Been bingewatching all seasons. Superb:

Todd

What better way to celebrate July 4th than finishing season three of The Americans?  It managed to maintain the high quality level of the first two seasons, and Keri Russell actually appears to become more attractive with each passing year.  I loved that Ronald Reagan received an acting credit as himself for his "Evil Empire" speech that closes out the season.  I also noted that while Soviet dentistry as depicted in the show appeared none too pleasant, Soviet body disposal services seemed quite advanced. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

My girlfriend and I have started watching Season One of this show. Pretty funny.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

Bob Newhart's second series from the 1980's: Newhart

Seasons IV and V are now available:

[asin]B00JHH1VUU[/asin]

Great stuff!

Also:

Fawlty Towers!

[asin]B002LFPAUC[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Quote from: Cato on July 05, 2016, 11:12:06 AM
Bob Newhart's second series from the 1980's: Newhart

Seasons IV and V are now available:

[asin]B00JHH1VUU[/asin]

Great stuff!

One of the funniest guys EVER. Bob's stand up stuff is terrific.  Plus, as far as sitcoms, this one ended better than any I have ever seen.  Beyond clever.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz