What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

The Knick - series two

Every bit as good as the first series. I'm sorry to learn that there is only to be two seasons with this cast, and that when Soderberg get a chance to take it up again it will be a different group in a different time in the hospital's history - though that's an intriguing idea.

Was particularly impressed by actress Eve Hewson (pictured above) and after it was over went looking for what else she had been in, and only then learned she has a very famous father. Glad I had the opportunity to judge her acting without the prejudice and cynicism of believing she may have got the part only through family connections.

Jay F

Animal Kingdom, starring Ellen Barkin and Scott Speedman, on TNT. Well done drama about a family of not nice people. From various producers of Shameless, Southland, and E.R. Best thing I've seen on TV in a long time but, again, not nice people.

http://www.tntdrama.com/shows/animal-kingdom.html

Sergeant Rock

The Expanse, season 1. Combination film noir, space opera, and spy thriller.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

HIPster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 09, 2016, 10:10:37 AM
The Expanse, season 1. Combination film noir, space opera, and spy thriller.

Sarge

Hi Sarge!

This show is high on my list - worth watching?  Thanks.  :)

Thread duty ~

Just finished Season 1 of Mr. Robot

[asin]B016W52CC0[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: HIPster on July 09, 2016, 03:57:49 PM
Hi Sarge!

Thread duty ~

Just finished Season 1 of Mr. Robot

[asin]B016W52CC0[/asin]
Domo arigato.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: HIPster on July 09, 2016, 03:57:49 PM
Hi Sarge!

It is. Couldn't stop watching. I consumed the 10 episodes in three evenings (finished up just a few minutes ago). Be aware though that the sound editing can be abysmal, with noise and/or loud music interfering with dialogue, especially in the scenes with the detective on Ceres.

Sarge

HIPster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 09, 2016, 04:14:18 PM
It is. Couldn't stop watching. I consumed the 10 episodes in three evenings (finished up just a few minutes ago). Be aware though that the sound editing can be abysmal, with noise and/or loud music interfering with dialogue, especially in the scenes with the detective on Ceres.

Sarge

Cool.  Thanks again, man.  ;)

Check out the non-classical listening thread when you get a chance: new Garcia/Saunders archival release is really excellent! 

Quote from: karlhenning on July 09, 2016, 03:58:51 PM
Domo arigato.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl -

The music in the series is also quite compelling ~

[asin]B018U8QR46[/asin]

Cheers Gents!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

started this late last night meaning to only sample the first episode, but found it so good I stayed up to 2am to finish the first disc

SonicMan46

Last night, I finished the 5th season of Hawaii Five-O - the 6th is not yet available - SO, tonight started Marco Polo - just on the first season, 2nd episode but so far enjoying - I really like these kinds of shows.  Dave :)

Todd

The second season of True Detective.  Not as good as season one, it is a bit odd in that the visuals are impressive, the acting generally very good, but the story and some sub-plots are not very interesting or compelling.  The sub-plot of Taylor Kitsch's character was a bit hard to take seriously, though the logic makes sense from an overall plot standpoint.  I couldn't stand the over the top shootout in episode four, which included bottomless clips and miraculous accuracy from fully automatic weapons, and then the fast forward in the next episode makes it next to consequenceless.  The use of John Adams' Harmonielehre in the sixth episode was superbly well done, and it's nice to see Johnny Blue get such prominent product placement.  I'll watch a third season if one is made.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bogey

Going back a few years and watching this:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

Some random episodes of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on youtube.

Emilia-Romagna is a classic, Croatia is also good (though it probably should be titled Dalmatia rather than Croatia).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on July 26, 2016, 09:54:25 AM

Fast, creative, unique and yes, funny.

What did you think of the fourth episode? The lack of dialogue was a little irritating (I fast-forwarded through some of it) but all was forgiven with the punchline that ended the episode  ;D

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 29, 2016, 07:46:29 AM
What did you think of the fourth episode? The lack of dialogue was a little irritating (I fast-forwarded through some of it) but all was forgiven with the punchline that ended the episode  ;D

Sarge

I always need at leas two watchings for that series. I have trouble following the quick dialog, getting all the jokes and seeing the stuff in the background. I like the 4th one. They talk SOOOO much on this show that it was a nice break. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Recently:

Seasons one and two of Happy Valley, which I thought were every bit as good as the critics said. Sarah Lancashire deserves whatever awards come her way, as does Siobhan Finneran as her recovering addict sister - and the writers for conveying messy human realities and frailties with sympathy and understanding.

I might quibble that the larger story arcs regarding abductions and serial killers are a little too stock and standard in comparison to the more realist detail that makes the series unique, and it would have been brilliant if they'd been able to show the mechanics of drug trafficking and organised crime at the macro level with the same avoidance of cliche that they bring to the micro.

I hope there's to be a third - apparently they're still in talks.

Hollywood

I'm looking forward to watching season 4 of Major Crimes which starts here in Austria on TNT Series in August.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

TheGSMoeller

My wife and I watched all 60 episodes of Game of Thrones in 36 days from HBO Now. She had read the books, but neither of us had any interest in the show...we've never been so wrong about a show in our lives. Totally engrossing, with amazing production quality, a lot of the cinematography betters a good amount of what I've seen in the movie theater the past few years. Those familiar with the show, I believe, would agree that episodes 9 & 10 of Season 6 were phenomenal, and possibly some of the best TV has ever offered.  I'm ashamed I waited so long to get into Game of Thrones.

The King in the North!!!