What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 30, 2016, 08:46:57 AM
My wife and I watched all 60 episodes of Game of Thrones in 36 days from HBO Now. She had read the books, but neither of us had any interest in the show...we've never been so wrong about a show in our lives. Totally engrossing, with amazing production quality, a lot of the cinematography betters a good amount of what I've seen in the movie theater the past few years. Those familiar with the show, I believe, would agree that episodes 9 & 10 of Season 6 were phenomenal, and possibly some of the best TV has ever offered.  I'm ashamed I waited so long to get into Game of Thrones.

The King in the North!!!

Hodor!   :D

Very cool way to "binge" the show.

I agree with all that you wrote too.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

The new erato

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 29, 2016, 02:15:59 PM
Recently:

Seasons one and two of Happy Valley, which I thought were every bit as good as the critics said.
I entirely agree on season 1, and have season 2 on my list of priorities (with Bosch season 2 and Fargo season 2 as well)-

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 30, 2016, 08:46:57 AM
My wife and I watched all 60 episodes of Game of Thrones in 36 days from HBO Now. She had read the books, but neither of us had any interest in the show...we've never been so wrong about a show in our lives. Totally engrossing, with amazing production quality, a lot of the cinematography betters a good amount of what I've seen in the movie theater the past few years. Those familiar with the show, I believe, would agree that episodes 9 & 10 of Season 6 were phenomenal, and possibly some of the best TV has ever offered.  I'm ashamed I waited so long to get into Game of Thrones.

The King in the North!!!
I felt it was too soap opera-ish, which is ironic considering how I usually love anything fantasy related. But I didn't like the books either, so maybe that is part of the issue. I saw the first 3-4 episodes of season 1 and I just wanted them to get on with it already. I had no patience for the backstabbing and politicking. If I wanted that, I'd turn on the news.  I've seen some excerpts of recent seasons and they do seem to have great production value.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 30, 2016, 11:26:18 PM
I felt it was too soap opera-ish,
I agree, and lots of superficial playing for effect.....

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 30, 2016, 11:26:18 PM
I felt it was too soap opera-ish, which is ironic considering how I usually love anything fantasy related. But I didn't like the books either, so maybe that is part of the issue. I saw the first 3-4 episodes of season 1 and I just wanted them to get on with it already. I had no patience for the backstabbing and politicking. If I wanted that, I'd turn on the news.  I've seen some excerpts of recent seasons and they do seem to have great production value.

Hi, Neal.
My wife and I watched the first few episodes of Season 1 when it was first released, we too didn't find interest in the show. It did take a while to really get into the characters and their purpose. Regarding the backstabbing, as Sersi says, "In the game of Thrones, you either win, or you die.", perhaps I quoted wrong, but you get the idea.
And the production value is through the roof!  :)

Drasko

Perfect series for watching in summer heat.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I feel so lonely as no one seems to post in greg's old anime thread. SOOOOOO I will post what I am watching in my current anime phase here.

THIS

which I finished watching yesterday but I feel like I am going to rewatch that final episode until I die of thirst due to draining all the liquid in my body out through my eyes.

:)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

dafuq am i even watching.

Clannad. It is so weird and cute and bizarre and hilarious and the characters are all so odd....it is so hard to form an opinion of it at the moment as I have only seen 5 episodes now. But it always leaves me with this really weird feeling of enjoying something that seems so....damn weird. None of the faces of the characters looks quite human......it isn't uncanny valley, but I suppose they are all just human enough in appearance to be considered 'cute' somehow.

HIPster

Started streaming Preacher ~

[asin]B01HDOFUS2[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

recently:

House Of Cards, series four
Orphan Black, series four
Unforgotten

The new erato

Watched Stranger Things on Netflix; quite entertaining, and a flashback to the 80-ies.

Ken B

Jericho

About building a railway bridge in 19th century Yorkshire. Started well, but devolving into silliness and melodrama.

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on August 03, 2016, 08:36:02 AM
Started streaming Preacher ~

[asin]B01HDOFUS2[/asin]

A bizarre series, but strangely compelling. Based off the Garth Ennis comic series of the same name of course. I need to try and get into these graphic novels.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Ghost Sonata

There are moments in Poldark of such symbolic weight and intelligence they make me think of Hardy.  My favorite is when (after a night of steamy love-making and no, you don't get to see that) Demelza offers Elizabeth, her rival for Poldark's heart, a newly-picked bouquet of wild blue cornflowers likely meant for him.  Elizabeth says "Thank you, but I'm afraid they won't last. See, they're fading already. Cornflowers are like that."  And the look that passes over Delmelza's face reflects the sad realization that Poldark's affection, too, seems likely not to last.  Or will it?  Soap opera in a historical setting?  Yup, but it's really good soap opera.  And there's a wreck scene.  If the story takes place in Cornwall, one of those is de rigueur.   

[asin] B00VC1YIB8[/asin]
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Cato

We are giving this a chance: profane to obscene, and darkly humorous at times, a Greek tragedy via e.g. David Lynch:

[asin]B00EUI4XHE[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Wakefield

Quote from: Bogey on August 21, 2016, 05:16:33 AM

From Netflix.  Cool concept.

I loved its splendidly existentialist plot. And lines like "if you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company."  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SimonNZ

No longer watching - stopped each of these after three or four episodes:

None were actually bad, in fact they're perfectly watchable in an undemanding way, but all had fatal flaws that rubbed me more with each episode.