Bartok's The Wooden Prince/Boulez/CSO

Started by AB68, August 01, 2007, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB68

Would you recommend this recording?
I'm concidering downloading it from iTunes, but can't find any reviews anywhere.

MDL

Quote from: AB68 on August 01, 2007, 12:47:52 AM
I'm concidering downloading it from iTunes, but can't find any reviews anywhere.

Bartok's The Wooden Prince isn't as intense as The Miraculous Mandarin or Bluebeard, but it's a beautiful and hugely enjoyable work. Boulez's recording is very impressive. You should buy the CD because it's coupled with the wonderful Cantata Profana. Go on, buy the CD.

AB68

Yes, Bartok of course. I don't know why I wrote Stravinsky... :o

val

The version of Boulez (with Chicago) is very good. But my favorite version was recorded by Janos Ferencsik in 1950 wit the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra (the CD includes the Four Pieces opus 12). It is a version more romantic, almost expressionist. The colour is not as fascinating as in the Boulez version, but there is a very impressive emotion.

MDL

Quote from: val on August 01, 2007, 03:34:17 AM
The version of Boulez (with Chicago) is very good. But my favorite version was recorded by Janos Ferencsik in 1950 wit the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra (the CD includes the Four Pieces opus 12). It is a version more romantic, almost expressionist. The colour is not as fascinating as in the Boulez version, but there is a very impressive emotion.

I've not heard of that recording. What label is it on? Is the performance good enough to outweigh the disadvantage of mono sound?

bhodges

Athough for these two works I've not heard other recordings, I would absolutely recommend the Boulez (and for that matter, pretty much all of his 1990s Bartók series with Chicago).  He has a great affinity for this composer, the orchestra sounds fantastic and DG has recorded it all beautifully. 

Here is a good review from The New York Times

--Bruce

val

QuoteMDL

I've not heard of that recording. What label is it on? Is the performance good enough to outweigh the disadvantage of mono sound?

It is on Arlecchino, the first volume of "The Art of Janos Ferencsik".

The 2nd volume is even better with perhaps the best version of Bluebeard Castle (with the legendary Szekely) and an extraordinary Cantata Profana with Reti and Farago.

BorisG

Quote from: AB68 on August 01, 2007, 12:47:52 AM

I didn't like it, compared to both Boulez on Sony and Dorati on Mercury.