Louis Spohr (1784-1859)

Started by SonicMan46, April 12, 2007, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: SergeCpp on May 22, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
I've listened all 36+7 + 4 doubles many times, just sequentially (I even slept under them...). Some months ago YouTube had uploaded all the 36 Quartets. They (all 17 volumes) can be found by this search.

These days I'm re-listening (or about to) the 7 Piano Trios and 2 Piano Quintets.

Hi again SergeCpp - well, you've got me beat on having heard all of Louis's string works - if desired, I can hear all of these works on Spotify (have a Sonos Wi-Fi speaker in the bedroom & can stream to my den speakers) but have not done so yet - listened to the Piano Trios yesterday; then will do the Symphonies.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Spohr TTT after 2 years!   :laugh:

Spohr wrote 7 String Quintets - I've owned the first 3 volumes below on Naxos, and No. 7 more recently released w/ other works - just ordered a 'used' copy from Amazon - interestingly, the first volume was w/ the Danubius Quartet , plus Sándor Papp on second viola - the reviews (see attachment) for that group were rather critical w/ the major complaints about the violinist, Mária Szabó; however, for the remaining volumes the Haydn Quartet or New Haydn Quartet replaced them w/ Papp remaining on - the reviews are much better!  I listened to and enjoyed the first 3 discs yesterday, my purchase for the 4th should arrive soon.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Spohr wrote 36 String Quartets and Marco Polo has completed the 17-disc series from 1989 to 2013!  The 'New Budapest Quartet' started the project in 1989 and completed 9 volumes into the early '90s, then apparently decided to quit which led to a 10 or so year recording hiatus; except for one volume done by the 'Dima Quartet', the remainder were completed by the 'Concertino String Quartet'.

Unfortunately, the reviews on the Concertino SQ are mediocre - in my last post here (previous page 2 years or so ago), I had 5 volumes of these Marco Polo recordings and wanted to add more which I did today on the Amazon MP, i.e. added V. 1, 2, & 5, all w/ the New Budapest Quartet (used and about $10 each) - that gets me up to about half of the SQ recordings - will Naxos box these up?  Not sure from the attached reviews that I want to add the rest of the Concertinos?  My wish would be for another label, like CPO, to get one or several newer quartets together but could be a project that would drag on for years?  Dave :)

vers la flamme

I have heard only the 8th violin concerto from this composer and I'm curious for more. Where would be the place to go from here?

Jo498

Except for this and maybe a few other violin concertos among the best known music of Spohr are the larger chamber ensembles. There are 4 "double quartets" and a septet, octet, nonet for mixed winds/strings. They have been recorded, often by usual suspects like Nash or Melos Ensemble. The symphonies have also been recorded and I have heard two or more but I don't remember anything about them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

foxandpeng

I really like Spohr's Clarinet Concertos. Nice, tuneful, uncomplicated place to start 👌
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2023, 04:34:18 PMI have heard only the 8th violin concerto from this composer and I'm curious for more. Where would be the place to go from here?

Well, there's plenty of good Spohr to hear depending on your genre preferences - the previous pages in this thread may help?  Also, I'm up to about 30 or so CDs of his works - the list from my database is attached if that may help to see the variety of works he composed - as others have stated, I like his chamber works the best although the clarinet concertos are a favorite (have two sets even!).  Dave :)

Jo498

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 28, 2023, 08:06:00 AMI really like Spohr's Clarinet Concertos. Nice, tuneful, uncomplicated place to start 👌
Yes!
I really should not have forgotten them! While I probably prefer Weber's overall, Spohr's are a bit more symphonic and certainly worth for anyone who likes the clarinet.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

I do love the clarinet, I shall have to seek out Spohr's concertos! It looks like he wrote a lot of them.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 28, 2023, 11:59:47 AMI do love the clarinet, I shall have to seek out Spohr's concertos! It looks like he wrote a lot of them.

I very recently got this twofer and I recommend it wholeheartedly:

And while you're at it, try this one, too:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Leo K.

I have been newly exploring Spohr's music and it's been a beautiful education for one who has delved deep into this time period of early romanticism. The symphony cycle has really scratched that itch in discovering a sound not really influenced by Beethoven, with it's own roots and sound. Fascinating.

Brian

For those who are exploring the Spohr symphonies: I'm reading Edith Wharton's great novel The Age of Innocence and at the wedding, the bride walks down the aisle to an unspecified piece by our composer:

"The white and rosy procession was in fact halfway up the nave, the Bishop, the Rector and two white-winged assistants were hovering about the flower-banked altar, and the first chords of the Spohr symphony were strewing their flower-like notes before the bride."

Any guesses as to what symphony this is? I'm thinking it may not be the first chords of the whole symphony but could reasonably be seen as the beginning of a movement or perhaps a trio.