Louis Spohr (1784-1859)

Started by SonicMan46, April 12, 2007, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Just acquired some new Spohr CDs (shown earlier in the listening thread & again below) - this will basically be a continuation of a thread from the old GMG forum started by Gurn - check HERE - plenty of bio information & CD recommendations.  Spohr was a violin virtuoso and considered one of the 'greats' in the early 19th century - he was respected similarily as a composer.  I've been listening to most of these compositions yesterday & today, and all are just wonderful - the Piano Trios are excellent (and a great 3-CD bargin).   :)

Also, check out the Favorite Musical Period Thread for my listing of these Gurnian Period transitional composers, many of which wrote a lot of excellent music - there are plenty of threads that exist on the old forum, which should probably be started in the new format; thus, the initiation of this new Spohr thread is hopefully just the beginning.   ;D

hornteacher

Let's not forget the wonderful 8th Violin Concerto recorded by: um.......now what was her name.......its on the tip of my tongue.......

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: hornteacher on April 12, 2007, 06:58:29 PM
..now what was her name.......its on the tip of my tongue.......

You wish she was at the tip of your tongue...

arkiv

Very idiomatic clarinet concertos.

Dax

There's some very attractive chamber music such as the Octet (less so the Nonet) and the Double Quartets.

SonicMan46

Well, the 'Old Forum' is up again!  8)  Check out the link in the OP of this thread - 4 pages on Spohr w/ many CD recommendations for those interested -

mc ukrneal

Very interesting, but what do folks think of the symphonies? And if one is deciding between the nearly complete Hyperion cycle and the not yet complete CPO cycle, is there a preferance?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Holden

..and there is this - the only recording I believe

[asin]B00005A8XQ[/asin]
Cheers

Holden

mc ukrneal

Don't everyone rush to post their favorite Spohr symphony now. The thread couldn't take it! :)

SonicMan46

Hi Neal et al - some interesting posts lately.  Interestingly, in reviewing the thread on the 'old' forum, Donald Isler actually left a post! He was a GMG member but from reviewing this stats he joined in December 2007 and was active for just 2 months?

At present I have nearly 2 dozen Spohr discs but only one of his symphonies (Nos. 4/5 w/ Shelley - Hyperion is to release their last of 5 CDs of these works next month).  Out of interest I did listen to my sole symphony CD yesterday - pleasant music w/ some delightful wind writing - enjoy his chamber music more - will I require any more symphonies?  Well don't know at the moment - I guess if Hyperion put all 5 discs into an inexpensive box I might consider a purchase.  OTOH, if others 'chime in' w/ more positive comments, I could easily change my mind - will also be looking on BRO for bargain prices in the near future!  Dave :)

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2012, 06:19:53 AM
At present I have nearly 2 dozen Spohr discs but only one of his symphonies (Nos. 4/5 w/ Shelley - Hyperion is to release their last of 5 CDs of these works next month). 

That got me interested in how many Spohr recordings I've accumulated over the years - added them up and it's 42.  Most are of chamber works with a few discs of the symphonies, concertos and operas.  I've always liked Spohr's music and very much enjoy the excellent composers who bridged the period between the classical and romantic eras (including Reicha and Hummel).  I just happened to get back into classical music when Marco Polo was issuing all those string quartet recordings.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on February 16, 2012, 12:41:23 PM
That got me interested in how many Spohr recordings I've accumulated over the years - added them up and it's 42.  Most are of chamber works with a few discs of the symphonies, concertos and operas.  I've always liked Spohr's music and very much enjoy the excellent composers who bridged the period between the classical and romantic eras (including Reicha and Hummel).  I just happened to get back into classical music when Marco Polo was issuing all those string quartet recordings.

Hi Don - you have quite a collection!  Just curious about how many of those Marco Polo SQ discs you own and what are your thoughts on the performances/sound recording?  I just have Vol. 6 which dates from 1991, but would like to acquire more, and there are a lot (the guy composed at least 3 dozen SQs as I recall) - thanks for any comments on this series (or other performances of these works you may own) - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2012, 01:55:29 PM
Hi Don - you have quite a collection!  Just curious about how many of those Marco Polo SQ discs you own and what are your thoughts on the performances/sound recording?  I just have Vol. 6 which dates from 1991, but would like to acquire more, and there are a lot (the guy composed at least 3 dozen SQs as I recall) - thanks for any comments on this series (or other performances of these works you may own) - Dave :)
Some guidance on where to start or which are particularly good would be a nice bonus. There are ideas in the old thread, but that is now several years old and perphaps things have changed or new versions have been released.

SonicMan46

Hi Neal - not sure 'how many' Spohr discs you own currently, but the recordings below would certainly be a good start for his non-symphonic compositions; the MDG package has 2 discs, clarinet recording one, the Piano Trio box 3, and the Violin Concertos 6 - this comprises just over half of which I own currently and all recommended.

Hopefully, Don will return w/ further comments - Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 12, 2007, 06:54:33 PM

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2012, 01:55:29 PM

I have Vols. 1-12 of the Marco Polo SQ series; I like them all and have no trouble recommending them. 

For those starting out, I'd go with the Piano Trios set on CPO.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bulldog on February 18, 2012, 07:36:11 AM
I have Vols. 1-12 of the Marco Polo SQ series; I like them all and have no trouble recommending them. 
Are there 1 or 2 that are particularly good? I was thinking of volume #6 (Op 58/1-2) or #8 (op 45/2-3) in the series.

Bulldog

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 18, 2012, 10:39:04 AM
Are there 1 or 2 that are particularly good? I was thinking of volume #6 (Op 58/1-2) or #8 (op 45/2-3) in the series.

Well, any of the first 9 volumes should be equally rewarding; those are played superbly by the New Budapest Quartet.  Starting with Vol. 10, a different and lower quality group is used.

Dax

I'm not knowledgable about Spohr. What little I've heard has made me suspect that the chamber music may be the most attractive, but perhaps I'm wrong. I've always regarded the Octet as a first-rate work but find the Nonet disappointing in comparison. Which 2 or 3 works (and I do mean just 2 or 3) would convince me that he is more than a one-hit wonder?

SonicMan46

Hi Dax - as already stated, I like his chamber works, although the Violin Concertos are certainly worth exploring; but one of my first CD(s) which I still own are the Double Quartets shown below; since you like his Octet, these might interest you - please post back! :)

cilgwyn

I downloaded two Spohr symphonies yesterday & I must admit I really DO like them. So,I might be adding a post,or two, to this thread soon! :)
Lovely music! I downloaded 3 & 6,incidentally.Very relaxing,just right for a Sunday afternoon (or any other time,really!). Spohr's orchestration is so sprightly & uncluttered,it just seems to swoop along;also,unlike some supposedly superior symphonists I can think of,his movements are never too long,he knows just when to stop. Not saying he's up there with the greats,but I'm still impressed!
Can't wait to hear more!