Louis Spohr (1784-1859)

Started by SonicMan46, April 12, 2007, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Not having any more Spohr symphonies I have loaded two other 19thc symphonies by another 'also ran' I like,Franz Lachner. Namely,Lachner's 'massive' 5th & his 8th (his No1 is in the post!). Annoying,that my Lachner symphony collection has to forcibly (feels like it! :()terminate at 1,5 & 8! : Are his other symphonies extant & if not,isn't anyone interested in recording them at all? :(
Fuchs is another one! :( But,at least there's a little more on offer!

All these  :( :( :( :('s! Still,at least there are plenty of Spohr symphonies to explore!

PS: I like Raff too!!! :) who's fairly well served on cd,now. Thank you,Tudor! :)

Despite all this resurgance of interest in neglected composers,there do seem to be certain areas of classical music in which the record labels have little or zero interest! :((another :(!)

And another one!!!! :(

mc ukrneal

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 26, 2012, 04:33:04 AM
I downloaded two Spohr symphonies yesterday & I must admit I really DO like them. So,I might be adding a post,or two, to this thread soon! :)
Lovely music! I downloaded 3 & 6,incidentally.Very relaxing,just right for a Sunday afternoon (or any other time,really!). Spohr's orchestration is so sprightly & uncluttered,it just seems to swoop along;also,unlike some supposedly superior symphonists I can think of,his movements are never too long,he knows just when to stop. Not saying he's up there with the greats,but I'm still impressed!
Can't wait to hear more!
Which ones?

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 26, 2012, 04:53:12 AM
Not having any more Spohr symphonies I have loaded two other 19thc symphonies by another 'also ran' I like,Franz Lachner. Namely,Lachner's 'massive' 5th & his 8th (his No1 is in the post!). Annoying,that my Lachner symphony collection has to forcibly (feels like it! :()terminate at 1,5 & 8! : Are his other symphonies extant & if not,isn't anyone interested in recording them at all? :(
Fuchs is another one! :( But,at least there's a little more on offer!

All these  :( :( :( :('s! Still,at least there are plenty of Spohr symphonies to explore!

PS: I like Raff too!!! :) who's fairly well served on cd,now. Thank you,Tudor! :)
(PPS: Kalliwoda's (Kalivoda) another good 'un!)

Despite all this resurgance of interest in neglected composers,there do seem to be certain areas of classical music in which the record labels have little or zero interest! :((another :(!)

And another one!!!! :(
Fuchs probably gets a :) since there is at least some activity on the recording side (Serenades less than a year ago was released on Naxos). But Lachner seems to be dead in the water (a deserved :(). At least the Spohr projects did not stop mid-stream. Very happy they completed the Hyperion cycle - at least one is now available! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

cilgwyn

By the way,I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong! I 'crossed swords' with you over the merits of Stanford & Wetz,a while back. I recently gave the Stanford & Wetz symphonies another hearing,this time using the program button,to concentrate wholly upon them. Can't understand why I didn't like the Stanford symphonies! More fool me! Wonderful music! I really DID enjoy them! :) As to Wetz! Again,I enjoyed No's 2 & 3,this time around. Not so sure about No1,yet. I must try again,but wonder if it could be the playing?

The opening movement of Lachner's Fifth has a wonderful,majestic theme. Hard to understand it's neglect,imho,of course! No 8 is very nice too,but I need to listen more (it's on the cd changer,now). The suites are supposed to be good.
The two Spohr symphonies are wonderful. They have an athletic lithe & grace. I am very impressed! But others may disagree,of course!

The recent Naxos of Fuchs 'Serenades' is getting some very enthusiastic reviews,so the incentive is there for them to,hopefully,record more. I notice,his symphonies are on the Thorofon label. Despite,some negative comments,the excerpts I've heard sound no worse than some of the dodgier Marco Polo performances I've heard (if not better!).

Dax

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 25, 2012, 08:07:19 AM
Hi Dax - as already stated, I like his chamber works, although the Violin Concertos are certainly worth exploring; but one of my first CD(s) which I still own are the Double Quartets shown below; since you like his Octet, these might interest you - please post back! :)

I did give the 3rd Double Quartet a spin today and while finding it very pleasant, can't say I found it 1st class . . .

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dax on February 26, 2012, 07:54:22 AM
I did give the 3rd Double Quartet a spin today and while finding it very pleasant, can't say I found it 1st class . . .

Well, nothing wrong w/ very pleasant; often just what I am in the mood to hear -  :D

cilgwyn

Bought two Spohr cds off MDT for £2.75 each. The less groovy Marco Polo jobs,I'm afraid. Hopefully,I won't get an email saying they've been sold (stock clearance,to be fair.They do say!),unlike the Lachner symphonies I 'bought',which included the deleted & pricey (from sellers) Fifth! (I got my 'copies' as downloads).
More Lachner please,someone! (Come on cpo!!!!)
Terrible grammar,but it's late!!!!!!!!!!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 26, 2012, 07:23:30 AM
By the way,I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong! I 'crossed swords' with you over the merits of Stanford & Wetz,a while back. I recently gave the Stanford & Wetz symphonies another hearing,this time using the program button,to concentrate wholly upon them. Can't understand why I didn't like the Stanford symphonies! More fool me! Wonderful music! I really DID enjoy them! :) As to Wetz! Again,I enjoyed No's 2 & 3,this time around. Not so sure about No1,yet. I must try again,but wonder if it could be the playing?

The opening movement of Lachner's Fifth has a wonderful,majestic theme. Hard to understand it's neglect,imho,of course! No 8 is very nice too,but I need to listen more (it's on the cd changer,now). The suites are supposed to be good.
The two Spohr symphonies are wonderful. They have an athletic lithe & grace. I am very impressed! But others may disagree,of course!

The recent Naxos of Fuchs 'Serenades' is getting some very enthusiastic reviews,so the incentive is there for them to,hopefully,record more. I notice,his symphonies are on the Thorofon label. Despite,some negative comments,the excerpts I've heard sound no worse than some of the dodgier Marco Polo performances I've heard (if not better!).
Re: Stanford and Wetz - glad you gave them another chance. Isn't it strange how that can happen? It is especially mystifying when one can't figure out why one  didn't like it in the first place. I know that if I start with a work that I liked less in a set - that can sometimes set the wrong tone for the rest.

Did you post which Spohr symphonies you had listened to? I seem to have missed that. Have you heard the symphonies of Ries or Onslow? You might like those too.

kentel

I've listened to all the violin concertos that I could find (combining CPO + Marco Polo I got everything but the 5th and the 10th). Stylistically it's the missing link between Viotti and Brahms - if one should consider that there's a missing link between Viotti and Brahms, which is a debattable question.

However, this "post-classical" style, sometimes excessively complicated with it's endless modulations and its intricate melodic lines, excessively urbane and shallow too, but I've to admitt that some of these concertos are really gripping. That's at least the case of the 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 (all in minor keys, if I remember well). The others are brilliant, but often rather hollow. Actually, the older he grew, the hollower his music became.

I also enjoyed the 4 clarinet concertos, but I think that this ever-modulating language fits perfectly the velvet-like sound of the instrument (I noticed the same with Reger's clarinet sonatas). On the contrary, I'm not fond of the symphonies: heavily influenced by Mendelssohn, Beethoven, and even sometimes Stamitz for the melodic themes, they lack of personality and of interesting thematic ideas. But I still havn't heard the 2,4,7 & 8.

Now I see that he has written 36 string quartets, and they've all been recorded...

cilgwyn

I personally enjoyed the symphonies I downloaded,but only time will tell whether they will be something I will be making repeat visits to. But I found his orchestration sprightly and bracing. So far,anyway! I ordered two more from the MDT stock clearance & like the Lachner cds.I might get that email telling me that they're sold out! :(
However,I put on some of the earlier Schubert symphonies later and,I must admit, the hummable tunes really do make a difference!
I need to listen to some more before I finally make my mind up. I DO like some of these minor 19th symphonists. Raff is another one,but more romantic,with his forests,ghosts and wood spirits. I really can't understand anyone who puts him up there with Mendelssohn,let alone Berlioz;but he is a very colourful orchestrator & No's 4,3,5,8 & 9,at any rate, are lovely symphonies.
The Lachner 5th has a 'knockout' theme in the first movement. It is so majestic & I can't understand why Marco Polo's didn't do a cycle. Having said that,I have only heard No 8 (No 1 is in the post! :)) & maybe the scores are not extant,or,they just aren't as good!!! :(

eyeresist

Cilgwyn, let us know how your exploration of Lachner goes. He sounds a "likely prospect".

cilgwyn

To be honest,I'm just a listener,but that theme in the horns,brass (whatever you call it!) in the first theme of Lachner's Fifth is truly outstanding for a supposedly minor composer. Did he just strike it lucky,like the compositional equivalent of a win on the old football pools? I MUST know more! WOW! :)
  I'd kill* to hear that movement performed by a really front rank orchestra & conductor!

Metaphorically speaking,I should add! ;D

cilgwyn

Picked up the older Scimone set of Clementi symphonies for around £2,on Amazon. It popped through the letterbox today. Enjoying this,immensely. I expect someone will tell me about the ASV set,if they read this. I have read the reviews & I may graduate at some point,but I'm trying to budget at the moment. My old copy of the Penguin guide gives this set an enthusiastic review,but I know that the ASV performances are supposed to be superior & they're on the Brilliant label (a box set!) now,arent they. (ASV cds are usually fairly cheap,but I won't look yet,or I'll start spending again!( Perhaps next month?!!!)
These sound pretty good to me! :) Lovely,actually! :) :) :)
  And why Clementi in a Spohr thread? My sole excuse. He's another also ran from another era,but judging by what I'm hearing,not bad at all! Also,I'm still in suspense. Will MDT cough up those stock clearance Spohr cds,or not? ::)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 28, 2012, 04:02:32 AM
Picked up the older Scimone set of Clementi symphonies for around £2,on Amazon. It popped through the letterbox today. Enjoying this,immensely. I expect someone will tell me about the ASV set,if they read this. I have read the reviews & I may graduate at some point,but I'm trying to budget at the moment. My old copy of the Penguin guide gives this set an enthusiastic review,but I know that the ASV performances are supposed to be superior & they're on the Brilliant label (a box set!) now,arent they. (ASV cds are usually fairly cheap,but I won't look yet,or I'll start spending again!( Perhaps next month?!!!)
These sound pretty good to me! :) Lovely,actually! :) :) :)
  And why Clementi in a Spohr thread? My sole excuse. He's another also ran from another era,but judging by what I'm hearing,not bad at all! Also,I'm still in suspense. Will MDT cough up those stock clearance Spohr cds,or not? ::)
I like those Scimone/Clementi CDs, and getting something that good for so little is a definite score. I would not worry about other recordings - you've got a good one.

Let us know if those Spohr cd's come through. I have a few on the wishlist, but may convert to purchase next month (if they still have them). Next month - sounds so far away, but it starts Thursday!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 26, 2012, 07:23:30 AM
The opening movement of Lachner's Fifth has a wonderful,majestic theme. Hard to understand it's neglect,imho,of course!

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 27, 2012, 03:09:54 PM
To be honest,I'm just a listener,but that theme in the horns,brass (whatever you call it!) in the first theme of Lachner's Fifth is truly outstanding for a supposedly minor composer.

Sounds interesting (your description plus clips at Amazon). I'll order it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

It is available as a download,but I gather you don't like them. The Lachner,be warned is only available s/h & high prices have been asked,at least, on uk sites.
  Going back to the music,I like what I've heard of Franz Lachner....so far;but it just struck me that the theme in the first movement is a bit of a plum! It set me thinking,is he a genuinely unfairly neglected composer,who deserves a better ranking than he gets,as opposed to an interesting (in my opinion) also ran? Or is the theme in the first movement of the fifth just a taste of more hidden,unrecorded,nuggets?
Or was it just a fluke? That theme sounds suspiciously TOO good for an also ran? Did he just hit gold,once? And what would a truly great composer have been able to do with a theme like that? In fact I had to turn it off after a while,because I WAS SINGING ALONG WITH THE THEME AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE!!! :o (Don't want to upset the neighbours!)
  Also,knowing how some of those old Marco Polo performances were,I can't help wondering what it would sound like if it was performed by a really first rate orchestra & conductor?
  Not sure if the rest is as good as that first movement. I like the rest,but it's the first movement & that theme (tune) that really grabbed me! And,it's very catchy,as,I fear,the neighbours may (already) know!!!! :o

NB With you're military background,it sounds as if I might be in trouble if you don't like it! :o :(

cilgwyn

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 28, 2012, 04:18:36 AM
I like those Scimone/Clementi CDs, and getting something that good for so little is a definite score. I would not worry about other recordings - you've got a good one.

Let us know if those Spohr cd's come through. I have a few on the wishlist, but may convert to purchase next month (if they still have them). Next month - sounds so far away, but it starts Thursday!
I should point out,the MDT stock clearance items appear to go VERY quickly! I ordered two Lachner cds (Syms 5 & 8,which I have as cd-r's).Feeling very pleased with myself for getting them at £2.75 each,so I was dismayed to receive an email telling me that they were unavailable!
  I'm hoping I will be luckier with the Spohr cds (Syms 1 & 5,3 & 6). I notice they are still up on the MDT site. (The Lachner's have now been removed).
  Having them on an actual cd proper,will enable me to play them on my usual cd player & give them a more thorough listen. So far,while I'd be the last person to claim that they are neglected masterpieces,I like what I've heard. I must admit,I do have a penchance for this kind of repertory,so maybe I'm a bit softer when it comes to 'also rans',than some people!
  Mahler 2 on now. I don't JUST listen to obscurities! ;D

kentel

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 27, 2012, 02:27:07 PM
I DO like some of these minor 19th symphonists. Raff is another one,but more romantic,with his forests,ghosts and wood spirits. I really can't understand anyone who puts him up there with Mendelssohn,let alone Berlioz;but he is a very colourful orchestrator & No's 4,3,5,8 & 9,at any rate, are lovely symphonies.

Raff is a very interesting symphonist, very flowing and distanciated and, as you said, very colourful, almost post-romantic in a romantic context (the 9 symphonies were composed between 1861 and 1878, and think that Brahms' first is only from 76 !).

But my favorite minor 19th century  symphonist is probably Carl Reinecke.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 28, 2012, 04:57:34 AM
It is available as a download,but I gather you don't like them.

No, I'm old school. I prefer to clutter up my house with many glittery, plastic objects  ;D

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 28, 2012, 04:57:34 AM
The Lachner,be warned is only available s/h & high prices have been asked,at least, on uk sites.

I found a used copy in like new condition for 8 Euro from the German Amazon marketplace.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Glad you got a reasonable price! :)

cilgwyn

Regarding the Lachner 5. I am of course,referring to the second theme,that is first heard at approx 6:00 in to the first movement.