5 (12.5%)
Polystylism
7 (17.5%)
Other/s
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2020, 09:35:31 AM
Ok. All I can say is I find middle baroque very interesting and like it a lot. Late baroque masters like J. S. Bach didn't come out of nowhere. They build their style (and knowledge) on the likes of Buxtehude, Bruhns, Kuhnau... ...I suppose you don't own much middle baroque recordings since you rarely listen to that stuff? If you are interested of having "killer" Buxtehude this is great:

[asin]B000003UZ1[/asin]
Sadly it's not easy to get cheap and the prices are high.  :-X

The CD is unavailable from Amazon DE or JPC (my usual sources) but the downloads are reasonable. Thanks for the recommendation. The samples sound intriguing. I just thought of another composer who might be considered Middle Baroque (his dates overlap periods): Marin Marais. I do love his music. So I might have to reconsider my period choices here.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 22, 2020, 01:38:11 PM
The CD is unavailable from Amazon DE or JPC (my usual sources) but the downloads are reasonable. Thanks for the recommendation. The samples sound intriguing. I just thought of another composer who might be considered Middle Baroque (his dates overlap periods): Marin Marais. I do love his music. So I might have to reconsider my period choices here.

Sarge

Yeah, that CD isn't totally OOP in the world, but hard to get for any reasonable price.  :P
You're welcome! Glad to hear you found the samples interesting.
Marin Marais in indeed great especially if you are into the sound of Viola da Gamba (who isn't?  ;D )

Not saying everyone has to love middle baroque, but I think the period has more to offer than often given credit for...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 22, 2020, 06:46:10 AM
Mannerism is usually used to refer to the extremely chromatic music of the late Renaissance by composers like Gesualdo, Lassus (sometimes), and others who employed frequent cross-relations and shifts of style, usually for the sake of word painting.

That sounds fascinating. Can you, or anyone else, recommend to me any essentials of the so-called Mannerist period of music? I like Lassus's Lagrime di San Pietro but I always considered it to be ripe high Renaissance. Would this really be an example of so-called Mannerism, or no?

Mahlerian

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2020, 08:05:18 AM
That sounds fascinating. Can you, or anyone else, recommend to me any essentials of the so-called Mannerist period of music? I like Lassus's Lagrime di San Pietro but I always considered it to be ripe high Renaissance. Would this really be an example of so-called Mannerism, or no?

Look at some of Gesualdo's late madrigals and Lassus's Prophetiae sibyllarum. I'm not an expert in this rep either, but the beginning of this is the kind of thing that one scholar referred to as "triadic atonality," because of the extreme use of cross-relations and the lack of a normal cadential pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/v/qUVNtDxlTP8

https://www.youtube.com/v/6dVPu71D8VI
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 23, 2020, 08:13:17 AM
Look at some of Gesualdo's late madrigals and Lassus's Prophetiae sibyllarum. I'm not an expert in this rep either, but the beginning of this is the kind of thing that one scholar referred to as "triadic atonality," because of the extreme use of cross-relations and the lack of a normal cadential pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/v/qUVNtDxlTP8

https://www.youtube.com/v/6dVPu71D8VI

As Mahlerian notes, there is much bleed in this era of music, but I would add the keyboard works of Byrd and Gibbons, played on period instruments, I cannot stress this enough.

SimonNZ

I thought it said "Mannheimism" at first glance - and would totally have voted for that.