Top 5 Favorite Sibelius Works

Started by Mirror Image, May 05, 2015, 07:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Interesting how no one picks any of the works for theatre, solo piano or chamber. I wonder how many of our esteemed GMGers have actually explored these parts of his oeuvre?

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2020, 12:23:05 PM
Interesting how no one picks any of the works for theatre, solo piano or chamber. I wonder how many of our esteemed GMGers have actually explored these parts of his oeuvre?
I do dearly love the Folke Grasbeck and Leif Ove Andsnes selected recitals of solo piano music, but it's hard to choose an all-time top favorite single work from them since they are so small. I probably listen to those more than to a couple of the pieces on my list, but Sibelius' talent for miniatures in the piano repertoire makes it almost as hard as asking someone for their Top 5 Favorite Chopin Works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 08, 2020, 12:24:54 PM
I do dearly love the Folke Grasbeck and Leif Ove Andsnes selected recitals of solo piano music, but it's hard to choose an all-time top favorite single work from them since they are so small. I probably listen to those more than to a couple of the pieces on my list, but Sibelius' talent for miniatures in the piano repertoire makes it almost as hard as asking someone for their Top 5 Favorite Chopin Works.

Can't argue with that, Brian. What I do love about Sibelius' piano works is they inhabit a world that I hadn't quite known before. I always looked at Sibelius as this composer who only wrote orchestral masterpieces, but when I got around to those works for songs, solo piano and chamber works, to say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. A treasure trove of gems awaiting a listener's discovery.

André

Legends op 22
Valse triste
Les Océanides
Tapiola
Symphony no 5

I'm not trying to be original  8)

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2020, 08:13:23 AM
To make people's lists more challenging and fun (well, for me anyway), I have asked if people would only choose one symphony. $:)

OK, I will replace the 2nd Symphony with the Lemminkainen Suite.

I have a substantial amount of the theatre music but none of it makes it to my top five. The only chamber work I have is the String Quartet in D minor Voces intimae

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 08, 2020, 01:55:43 PM
Legends op 22
Valse triste
Les Océanides
Tapiola
Symphony no 5

I'm not trying to be original  8)

I can see that, but fine choices nevertheless. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on May 09, 2020, 01:17:56 AM
OK, I will replace the 2nd Symphony with the Lemminkainen Suite.

I have a substantial amount of the theatre music but none of it makes it to my top five. The only chamber work I have is the String Quartet in D minor Voces intimae

A fine replacement for sure and one of my favorites as well. No love for The Tempest? This is prime Sibelius.

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2020, 06:46:44 AM
A fine replacement for sure and one of my favorites as well. No love for The Tempest? This is prime Sibelius.

The complete Tempest is too bitty and repetitive, the suites contain some fine music but still don't come anywhere near my top five.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on May 09, 2020, 06:55:30 AM
The complete Tempest is too bitty and repetitive, the suites contain some fine music but still don't come anywhere near my top five.

We'll agree to disagree here. I think it's a masterpiece.

Uhor

I really think the symphonies are next level.

Symphony No.6 mov 1
Symphony No.5
Symphony No.7
Symphony No.4
Symphony No.2

For the rest of his music:

Luonnotar

The Oceanides
Lemminkäinen suite
Pohjola's Daughter
Tapiola

Mirror Image

Quote from: Uhor on May 09, 2020, 08:48:15 AM
I really think the symphonies are next level.

Symphony No.6 mov 1
Symphony No.5
Symphony No.7
Symphony No.4
Symphony No.2

For the rest of his music:

Luonnotar

The Oceanides
Lemminkäinen suite
Pohjola's Daughter
Tapiola

One symphony per list please.  $:)

Uhor

Well I pick 6 and only the first movement.

Jo498

Quote from: Brian on May 08, 2020, 12:24:54 PM
I wonder if I should give one of these anthologies a try because I have the Gould disc with a few Sibelius' piano pieces and I found the music utterly forgettable. Generally, I find that according to my probing the dominance of the symphonies, the violin concerto, some tone poems and a few other pieces in the public perception of Sibelius is largely justified. The mostly unknown stuff is mostly unknown for pretty good reasons...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on May 09, 2020, 01:02:40 PM
I wonder if I should give one of these anthologies a try because I have the Gould disc with a few Sibelius' piano pieces and I found the music utterly forgettable. Generally, I find that according to my probing the dominance of the symphonies, the violin concerto, some tone poems and a few other pieces in the public perception of Sibelius is largely justified. The mostly unknown stuff is mostly unknown for pretty good reasons...
I think you should give one of them a try (if you like period instruments or good stories, Gräsbeck plays on Sibelius' own 1915 Steinway). But have the expectation that these are romantic miniature pieces, not great statements. If you come in the context of Grieg, Moszkowski, maybe even "Waldszenen" or Brahms intermezzi, rather than Sibelius' orchestral music, you should enjoy. I hope!

Of course if you don't like the Lyric Pieces etc., then maybe don't  :)

FelixSkodi

1. Danse champêtre
2. The Building of the Boat
3. Kyllikki
4. Symphony 7
5. Piano Sonata

TheGSMoeller

Symphony No. 3 (could be any of his seven, depending on the mood I've been in, but the Andantino con moto has always been a favorite Sibelius moment for me)
The Wood Nymph
Swan of Tuonela
Pelleas and Melisande

Mahlerian

Symphony No. 4
Luonnotar
String Quartet in D minor Voces Intimae
Tapiola
Violin Concerto
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

kyjo

For today:

En saga
Six Humoresques for violin and orchestra
Swanwhite (I've only heard the Suite, though)
Symphony no. 3
The Wood Nymph
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff