Top 5 Favorite Sibelius Works

Started by Mirror Image, May 05, 2015, 07:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal Slate

I like this one but have not heard as many as other people here.
[asin]B0000027OR[/asin]

NJ Joe

Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I get it.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on May 05, 2015, 05:55:07 PM
Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I get it.

Sounds good, Joe.

Karl Henning

Quote from: MN Dave on May 05, 2015, 05:28:28 PM
The VC stands out for me. Finlandia is fun, I think.

You're right, it is fun, and ain't no crime!  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Okay, here goes:

Pohjola's daughter
Symphony no. 6
Voces Intimae
Violin concerto
Luonnotar, Snöfrid, The origin of fire or The maiden in tower. Can't choose. Who said Sibelius can't write well for human voice?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: Alberich on May 06, 2015, 09:51:47 AM
Okay, here goes:

Pohjola's daughter
Symphony no. 6
Voces Intimae
Violin concerto
Luonnotar, Snöfrid, The origin of fire or The maiden in tower. Can't choose. Who said Sibelius can't write well for human voice?
Great list - there is a lot of Sibelius at the Proms in London this summer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: NJ Joe on May 05, 2015, 05:34:47 PM
This is what made me a true believer:

That is a wonderful set and I love the cover image too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2015, 10:40:10 AM
Great list - there is a lot of Sibelius at the Proms in London this summer.
'

Thank you, yours was a great also. I love all the works you mentioned but unfortunately I had to narrow it down to 5. I may change my mind later about my top5. Tapiola is really impressive in the way Sibelius can do so much with so scarce material!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: Alberich on May 06, 2015, 11:13:21 AM
'

Thank you, yours was a great also. I love all the works you mentioned but unfortunately I had to narrow it down to 5. I may change my mind later about my top5. Tapiola is really impressive in the way Sibelius can do so much with so scarce material!

Yes it is a wonderful score - deeply moving but completely devoid of sentimentality. Sibelius is the one composer whose music I can listen to regardless of what mood I am in. Something to do with its connection with the elemental power of nature I think.

mszczuj

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2015, 03:41:26 PM
Your choice of Symphony No. 1 is a curious one. Don't like the mature symphonies too much?

Yes, I find him not as succesful in these works where he try to be more modern as he was when he was deep inside the romantic tradition.

But may be I'm not lost for ever yet? I have heard Vanska interpratation of symphonies last year and find some national touch in phrasing in them that made me most interested in nos 3-7. Must return to them. Alas it is only one of hundreds musts.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on May 05, 2015, 07:22:38 AM
The Tempest

Pounds the table! I listened to the complete version of The Tempest several nights ago and enjoyed it immensely. Will definitely plan a revisit soon. The Vanska performance is impeccable.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2015, 09:11:45 PM
Pounds the table! I listened to the complete version of The Tempest several nights ago and enjoyed it immensely. Will definitely plan a revisit soon. The Vanska performance is impeccable.

It's a great composer at the very top of his game.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

Tempest really makes me think that Sibelius could have stood equal to Verdi in writing shakespearean operas. Of course, Jean's Tempest doesn't contain singing but on the other hand there's several compositions where he shows that he was no rookie with this "instrument".

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on May 14, 2015, 02:54:49 AMOf course, Jean's Tempest doesn't contain singing but on the other hand there's several compositions where he shows that he was no rookie with this "instrument".

Ummm...The Tempest, Op. 109 most certainly does contain singing. Have you heard the work in it's complete form, Alberich? You're in for quite a surprise.

Daverz

Only 5?  How cruel! ;)

Symphonies No. 5 & 6
4 Legends
Night Ride and Sunset
Violin Concerto

Runners up: Symphonies 1, 2 & 4; Pelleas and Melisande

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2015, 07:10:52 PM
Ummm...The Tempest, Op. 109 most certainly does contain singing. Have you heard the work in it's complete form, Alberich? You're in for quite a surprise.

I guess I've collided head first into so called Peer Gynt-problem. For a long time I thought Grieg's music of it existed only as an orchestral suite. And that's a shame because several beautiful moments were omitted from suite.

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on June 09, 2015, 10:20:28 PM
Only 5?  How cruel! ;)

Symphonies No. 5 & 6
4 Legends
Night Ride and Sunset Sunrise
Violin Concerto

Runners up: Symphonies 1, 2 & 4; Pelleas and Melisande

Corrected for you. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on June 09, 2015, 10:24:54 PM
I guess I've collided head first into so called Peer Gynt-problem. For a long time I thought Grieg's music of it existed only as an orchestral suite. And that's a shame because several beautiful moments were omitted from suite.

You should really listen to The Tempest in it's complete form ASAP. Vanska is your man here as he, along with Saraste, are the only ones who have recorded this work.

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

I guess it's time to update my list, especially since my favorites from Sibelius seem to be in constant evolution. Right now, my favorites (in no particular order):

Symphony No. 4 in A minor, Op. 63
The Tempest, Op. 109
The Origin Of Fire, Op. 32 (Original Version)
Tapiola, Op. 112
Violin Concerto, Op. 47