Top 5 Favorite Sibelius Works

Started by Mirror Image, May 05, 2015, 07:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Kullervo, for mezzo-soprano, baritone, male chorus, and orchestra, Op. 7 (1892)
Tulen synty (The Origin of Fire), Op. 32 (1902/10)
Symphony No. 4 in A minor, Op. 63 (1911)
Luonnotar, for soprano and orchestra, Op. 70 (1913)
Tapiola, Op. 112 (1926)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 15, 2015, 11:08:44 PM
Tapiola, Op. 112 (1926)
Agree with all of these. What are your favourite recordings of Luonnota and Tapiola?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2015, 11:13:11 PMAgree with all of these. What are your favourite recordings of Luonnotar and Tapiola

I have no specific favourites - so please tell us what yours are.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on June 15, 2015, 11:08:44 PM
Tapiola, Op. 112 (1926)

Great list for someone who doesn't care much for Sibelius' music. ;)

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2015, 07:27:29 AMGreat list for someone who doesn't care much for Sibelius' music. ;)

;D These are the compositions I really like. Some other pieces, however ... (As a teenager, I was shocked to hear the Second Symphony and what I found its 'vulgarity'; I never really overcame that feeling and until now cannot really listen to the first three symphonies, or to much of his 'popular' music. But I find the later symphonies and Tapiola absolutely fine.)  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on June 16, 2015, 07:51:12 AM
;D These are the compositions I really like. Some other pieces, however ... (As a teenager, I was shocked to hear the Second Symphony and what I found its 'vulgarity'; I never really overcame that feeling and until now cannot really listen to the first three symphonies, or to much of his 'popular' music. But I find the later symphonies and Tapiola absolutely fine.)  :)

That's too bad as I really like the first two symphonies, but I love the 3rd. I don't have a problem with his 'popular' music either that is we consider Valste triste, Karelia Suite, and Finlandia to be among those that you consider 'popular'.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 16, 2015, 12:16:58 AM
I have no specific favourites - so please tell us what yours are.  :)
Luonnotar: Dorati version on EMI.
Tapiola: historical versions by Koussevitsky or Kajanus or Rosbaud.
More modern versions by Maazel (Decca), Segerstam (with Four Legends) Berglund Helsinki SO.
[asin]B00000378L[/asin]
I know what you mean about the early Sibelius symphonies, the first two described as 'parochial' by one critic but I get swept up in the last movement of No.2 and rank No.3 very highly, also the last movement in particular.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

It very well could look like this right now (in no particular order)

Symphony No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 82
String Quartet in D minor, "Voces Intimae", Op. 56
Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
6 Songs, Op. 90
Luonnotar, Op. 70

vandermolen

Ok new list:

Symphony No.3
Tapiola
The Complete Tempest incidental music (BIS)
Complete Karelia Music (Ondine)
In Memoriam

vers la flamme

Let me try this...:

Symphony No.5 in E-flat major
Symphony No.7 in C major
En Saga, op.9
The Swan of Tuonela, op.22/2
Tapiola, op.112

Let it be known that I am still fairly new to Sibelius and have yet to give any of his non-orchestral music a fair shot. Still he is a great composer and one of my favorites.

SymphonicAddict

I had never participated on this thread!

Let's remedy it right now:

Symphony No. 7 (love it!!!)

The Wood Nymph
Lemminkainen Suite
Tapiola
Spring Song

I'm not that familiar with his chamber music. I've heard some violin sonatas and I thought they were very charming, but don't remember which one I liked the best. An early piano quintet is very good too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 11, 2019, 03:31:49 PM
I had never participated on this thread!

Let's remedy it right now:

Symphony No. 7 (love it!!!)

The Wood Nymph
Lemminkainen Suite
Tapiola
Spring Song

I'm not that familiar with his chamber music. I've heard some violin sonatas and I thought they were very charming, but don't remember which one I liked the best. An early piano quintet is very good too.

The Piano Quintet in G minor is quite good, indeed. Sibelius, IMHO, has one masterpiece of chamber music, IMHO, and that work is the String Quartet in D minor, "Voces Intimae", Op. 56. Another work that is very good and dates from his more mature period is Malinconia, Op. 20 (for cello/piano). This work is definitely worth your time as are the songs (primarily written for voice and piano, but there are some with a different instrumentation --- of course, the songs arranged with orchestra are worth your time as well). All of those works in your list are obviously masterpieces and for anyone who hasn't heard them and loves early 20th Century music, I have to ask, "Where have you been?" ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 11, 2019, 03:07:18 PM
Let me try this...:

Symphony No.5 in E-flat major
Symphony No.7 in C major
En Saga, op.9
The Swan of Tuonela, op.22/2
Tapiola, op.112

Let it be known that I am still fairly new to Sibelius and have yet to give any of his non-orchestral music a fair shot. Still he is a great composer and one of my favorites.

Very nice list, but let me say that I'm not sure if I would count The Swan of Tuonela as a work by itself even though it has been recorded many times as a standalone work. It comes from Lemminkäinen Suite and if you haven't heard this work, you're in for a real treat. Of course, Tapiola, En Saga, and Symphony Nos. 5 & 7 are works that every Sibelian has heard more times than they've heard Finlandia. ;D FWIW, I love Finlandia despite it's popularity in the concert hall and being a work that is most often mentioned whenever someone who doesn't really know much about Sibelius talks about music of his they've heard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 11, 2019, 01:55:46 PM
Ok new list:

Symphony No.3
Tapiola
The Complete Tempest incidental music (BIS)
Complete Karelia Music (Ondine)
In Memoriam

A fine list, Jeffrey. In Memoriam is quite underrated and is gorgeous. The Tempest should be required listening for anyone interested in music from the 20th Century. The piece is so cinematic and has such a strong narrative. I'd love to get your opinion on the completion/reconstruction of Karelia from Kalevi Aho (BIS) vs. Jouni Kaipainen (Ondine), what are the main differences between them? I only know Aho's completion/reconstruction on BIS with Vänskä.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 16, 2015, 12:38:55 PM
Luonnotar: Dorati version on EMI.
Tapiola: historical versions by Koussevitsky or Kajanus or Rosbaud.
More modern versions by Maazel (Decca), Segerstam (with Four Legends) Berglund Helsinki SO.
[asin]B00000378L[/asin]
I know what you mean about the early Sibelius symphonies, the first two described as 'parochial' by one critic but I get swept up in the last movement of No.2 and rank No.3 very highly, also the last movement in particular.

That Segerstam recording is amazing, Jeffrey. I should add that Sibelius' 1st and 2nd symphonies are wonderful and while they're not written in the composer's more recognizable idiom (that will come with the 3rd), they still demonstrate where the composer was going musically and there are many fine moments in each of these symphonies. That second movement of the 2nd is so beautiful and haunting --- in fact, here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article of this particular movement that you may find interesting:

In his villa in Rapallo, Sibelius wrote: "Don Juan. I was sitting in the dark in my castle when a stranger entered. I asked who he could be again and again — but there was no answer. I tried to make him laugh but he remained silent. At last the stranger began to sing — then Don Juan knew who it was. It was death."

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2019, 04:20:04 PM
A fine list, Jeffrey. In Memoriam is quite underrated and is gorgeous. The Tempest should be required listening for anyone interested in music from the 20th Century. The piece is so cinematic and has such a strong narrative. I'd love to get your opinion on the completion/reconstruction of Karelia from Kalevi Aho (BIS) vs. Jouni Kaipainen (Ondine), what are the main differences between them? I only know Aho's completion/reconstruction on BIS with Vänskä.

Thanks John. I have both those 'Complete Karelia Music' CDs and enjoy them both. I prefer the Ondine recording especially for track 2 'Karelian Home-Runic Song, interrupted by War Music' which in the Ondine version (Kaipainen completion) sounds like a pop song - it is quite extraordinary and very 'catchy'. Listening to it now!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 11, 2019, 05:20:53 PM
That Segerstam recording is amazing, Jeffrey. I should add that Sibelius' 1st and 2nd symphonies are wonderful and while they're not written in the composer's more recognizable idiom (that will come with the 3rd), they still demonstrate where the composer was going musically and there are many fine moments in each of these symphonies. That second movement of the 2nd is so beautiful and haunting --- in fact, here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article of this particular movement that you may find interesting:

In his villa in Rapallo, Sibelius wrote: "Don Juan. I was sitting in the dark in my castle when a stranger entered. I asked who he could be again and again — but there was no answer. I tried to make him laugh but he remained silent. At last the stranger began to sing — then Don Juan knew who it was. It was death."
I agree about symphonies 1 and 2 and enjoy them both John. The 'Don Juan' extract is most interesting and sounds like something out of Ingmar Bergman's marvellous  film 'The Seventh Seal' which I watched on DVD with my daughter recently. Sibelius is one of those composers, like VW or Shostakovich or Miaskovsky whose music generally appeals to me.

Biffo

Difficult to choose a top five nad only include one symphony. I have a modest selection of his vocal works but very little chamber music and can't really say any of it is a particular favourite. Here goes

Symphony No 2 in D major
Leminkainen Suite
Finlandia (with choral contribution)
Karelia Suite (my first ever Sibelius)
Night Ride and Sunrise

I could have chosen a different symphony or other tones poems, especially Tapiola - probably his finest but went for the works I have listened to most over the years

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on November 12, 2019, 01:19:30 AM
Difficult to choose a top five nad only include one symphony. I have a modest selection of his vocal works but very little chamber music and can't really say any of it is a particular favourite. Here goes

Symphony No 2 in D major
Leminkainen Suite
Finlandia (with choral contribution)
Karelia Suite (my first ever Sibelius)
Night Ride and Sunrise

I could have chosen a different symphony or other tones poems, especially Tapiola - probably his finest but went for the works I have listened to most over the years
A very nice selection!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 11, 2019, 11:49:27 PM
Thanks John. I have both those 'Complete Karelia Music' CDs and enjoy them both. I prefer the Ondine recording especially for track 2 'Karelian Home-Runic Song, interrupted by War Music' which in the Ondine version (Kaipainen completion) sounds like a pop song - it is quite extraordinary and very 'catchy'. Listening to it now!

You've certainly convinced me to get that Ollila recording on Ondine. Of course, it didn't take much convincing considering how big of a Sibelian I am. ;)