Quote from: Biffo on May 25, 2019, 01:33:43 AM
For the moment -

A London Symphony (Final version)
Dona nobis pacem
Tallis Fantasia
The Pilgrim's Progress
Serenade to Music

Edit: Possibly replace the Serenade with Job; five is not enough

You and I are in the immense minority in preferring the London, and in its final version. I like that version the most for its succinctness (I haven't tried the 1920 version, though). In the 1913 version I felt the 4th movement was a bit overlong for its material. Your other choices can easily are on my list, except The Pilgrim's Progress (not heard yet).

André

Quote from: André on January 30, 2017, 05:54:03 PM
- A Sea Symphony
- The Shepherds of the Delectable Mountains
- Toward the Unknown Region
- Job
- The Lark Ascending

Also, the Tallis Fantasia of course (man, just 5 works: this is cruel !  >:D )

No change!

I would then add symphonies 3-6 for a full 10 best list.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 25, 2019, 06:03:33 PM
You and I are in the immense minority in preferring the London, and in its final version. I like that version the most for its succinctness (I haven't tried the 1920 version, though). In the 1913 version I felt the 4th movement was a bit overlong for its material. Your other choices can easily are on my list, except The Pilgrim's Progress (not heard yet).

I, too, like the revised London even more than the original 1913. The 1920, however, is a great success in the hands of Brabbins. You definitely need to seek out his recording on Hyperion. It's coupled with fantastic performance of Variations for brass band.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 05, 2015, 03:05:47 PM
Sea Symphony
Serenade to Music
Flos Campi
Phantasy Quintet
The Lark Ascending

4 years later and still going strong. Although I would be willing to replace Serenade with the Thomas Tallis Fantasia. Can't deny the seductive power of the Fantasia for too long. 

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2019, 06:25:40 AM
I, too, like the revised London even more than the original 1913. The 1920, however, is a great success in the hands of Brabbins. You definitely need to seek out his recording on Hyperion. It's coupled with fantastic performance of Variations for brass band.

That idea has been around my head lately. Probably I'll succumb to the temptation.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2019, 06:25:40 AM
Very much my view on A London Symphony. I can't listen to the last movement of the 1936 version (much as I'm enjoying Bryden Thompson's recording of it at the moment) without being acutely aware of the poetic and very moving section that VW excised just before the end - one cut too many as far as I'm concerned. So I tend to stick with the 1920 version especially in Brabbins's recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Currently:

Symphony no. 2 A London Symphony
Piano Quintet
String Quartet no. 2
On Wenlock Edge
Five Mystical Songs
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 05, 2015, 12:46:17 PM
Symphony No.4
Tuba Concerto
Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus
Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Fantasia on "Greensleeves"
Serenade to Music
Job

I don't often change my lists and, in fact, I still love the two Fantasias I crossed out, but the one is slight (and not wholly VW's) and the Tallis I've simply overdosed on in the half century I've known it. The F minor Tuba Concerto fits neatly with the F minor Symphony and Job, well, it's a balletic masterpiece.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2019, 12:51:27 PM
Currently:

Symphony no. 2 A London Symphony
Piano Quintet
String Quartet no. 2
On Wenlock Edge
Five Mystical Songs
All great choices Kyle - could have been my list as well!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).