Recordings of the music by Marin Marais

Started by Mandryka, May 12, 2015, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I'd like to get to know this composer's music a bit better, so I'd appreciate any suggestions about what to listen to.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

king ubu

This one maybe:

[Asin]B001UDYC46[/asin]

Or this:
www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2006/July06/Bass_Viols_4820822.htm
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Jordi Savall has recorded at least two sets of the music for viols, but I think this recording is special:

[asin]B0001K9IKC[/asin]

MishaK

Quote from: sanantonio on May 12, 2015, 10:19:36 AM
Jordi Savall has recorded at least two sets of the music for viols, but I think this recording is special:

[asin]B0001K9IKC[/asin]

Yes! +1

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on May 12, 2015, 10:19:36 AM

[asin]B0001K9IKC[/asin]

Yes the Tombeau for Lully on that one is expressive. It would be interesting to see whether a more classical performance would work.The Viol/Theorbo combo is nice.

Another thing which I'm interested in is this: where you have a combo of viol and plucked instrument, it's sometimes played like the harpsichord is basso continuo, rather than a genuine sonata for viol and harpsichord. I know from Bach's music, and I would say in Forqueray's too,  that the egalitarian approach can be really rewarding, so I'm curious to hear how it would be in Marais.

Marais is supposed to have played like the devil. It would be nice to have some devilry.

MishaK

Mandryka

One thing not to forget is that Marais wrote of his Bk 2 of viol pieces

QuoteJ'ay eu attention en les composant à les rendre propres pour être jouées sur toutes sortes d'instrumens comme l'Orgue, Clavecin, Theorbe, Luth, Violon, Flutte allemande

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on May 12, 2015, 12:16:06 PM
One thing not to forget is that Marais wrote of his Bk 2 of viol pieces

If you haven't done so yet, you should hear Savall's discs.

king ubu

No love here for the Hantaï recordings?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Wakefield

Quote from: king ubu on May 12, 2015, 10:49:35 PM
No love here for the Hantaï recordings?

Fantastic disks, no doubt. I think they were the first disks I owned devoted to Marais, even before than any Savall disk. Back then I thought the Hantaï brothers would record together much more music than they finally did. Even there has been a lot of time since I saw a monographic recording by Jérôme Hantaï (who's also an accomplished fortepianist).  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

king ubu

Alright - I enjoy these two double disc sets a lot as well, glad to hear I'm not alone!

As for Perl, the whole Mittelalterjahrmarkt and Grufti marketing crap puts me off a bit, though no doubt she's an accomplished musician. Guess I should give that Marais disc a try, eventually ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on May 13, 2015, 03:46:13 AM
As for Perl, the whole Mittelalterjahrmarkt and Grufti marketing crap puts me off a bit,

I have no idea what you are talking about ... and feel lucky.

;)

king ubu

Quote from: sanantonio on May 13, 2015, 04:45:12 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about ... and feel lucky.

;)

Ha ha. But now you know . And laziness is no excuse for ignorance anyway  >:D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on May 13, 2015, 07:02:03 AM
Ha ha. But now you know . And laziness is no excuse for ignorance anyway  >:D

I'm not lazy; I just don't care about marketing and would never let it get in the way of listening to a talented artist.

;)

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on May 12, 2015, 12:49:03 PM
If you haven't done so yet, you should hear Savall's discs.

Yes, very rich and warm, Savall always makes me think of those actors, all a bit old fashioned nowadays, who were about "beautiful voice" and grandiosity - people like Laurence Olivier. Or singers like Gerhard Husch.

Let me recommend one to you - Paolo Pandolfo, who's the opposite of Savall really - more aggitated, very imaginative rhythmically,  he tends to whisper and murmur rather than to sing forh. I just find that approach very involving and intriguing, partly because you have to focus more to catch the music: it's like Pandolfo's viol is trying to escape you.

There are two Marais recordings with Pandolfo, both outstanding.

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2015, 10:57:41 PM
Yes, very rich and warm, Savall always makes me think of those actors, all a bit old fashioned nowadays, who were about "beautiful voice" and grandiosity - people like Laurence Olivier. Or singers like Gerhard Husch.

Let me recommend one to you - Paolo Pandolfo, who's the opposite of Savall really - more aggitated, very imaginative rhythmically,  he tends to whisper and murmur rather than to sing forh. I just find that approach very involving and intriguing, partly because you have to focus more to catch the music: it's like Pandolfo's viol is trying to escape you.

There are two Marais recordings with Pandolfo, both outstanding.

If his Marais is on Spotify I did not find it.  But found some on YouTube.  Will report back.

Mandryka

Quote from: MishaK on May 12, 2015, 11:36:46 AM
I rather like this fun work as well:

Yes! Thanks for pointing that out to me. The sonate à la Marésienne is great fun, light, fresh music. Quite a contrast from the depth of the suite d'un goût étranger.

Re Goût étranger, I can unearth just three recordings: Savall and Coin (both outstanding) and Charbonnier (not heard -- does anyone like his Marais recordings?) Surely there are more?

Mandryka

If Book 4 is Marais,' Lear, Book 5 is his Tempest. If Book 4 is Marais' Otello, Book 5 is his Falstaff. If Book 4 is Marais' op 131, Book 5 is his op 135. If Goût Etranger is his Leipzig Chorales, Book 5 is his Musical Offering.

Book 5 has none of the showy OTT-ness of Book 4, but it glows with mature good natured humane-ness. I've listened to two recordings so far, Savall and this one by Charbonnier and his copains. Charbonnier's classicism suits this music to a tee.

Drasko

The new Pandolfo recording can be currently sampled in full via Dutch radio.

http://www.radio4.nl/diskotabel/plaatpaaloverzicht/