Author Topic: Recordings of the music by Marin Marais  (Read 4002 times)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
Re: Recordings of Marin Marais' music.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 12:39:20 AM »
Crossposted from the WAYLT thread:

Hat tip aukhawk. :)

A nice and prety recording! But I don't think I can agree with the assessment of the L'Achéron.
Did some A-B comparisons. And if anything La Rêveuse offers the "simpler", more straight forward performances. L'Achéron the more elaborate, ornamented and textured ones. Seriousminded, perhaps due to the detailed approach in the slower parts, but plenty of liveliness and variety overall.

But I could understand if L'Achéron would be too fussy and laboured for some. I've always been a big fan of the recordings by Jean-Louis Charbonnier and his ensemble (Pierre Vérany/ Ligia). Those might be more to your liking: more straightforward and energetic. For me personally, L'Achéron is a game changer with an added layer of musical detail and nuance.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:21:05 AM by Que »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 01:37:26 AM »
Crossposted from the WAYLT thread:

Hat tip aukhawk. :)

A nice and prety recording! But I don't think I can agree with the assessment of the L'Achéron.
Did some A-B comparisons. And if anything La Rêveuse offers the "simpler", more straight forward performances. L'Achéron the more elaborate, ornamented and textured ones. Seriousminded, perhaps due to the detailed approach in the slower parts, but plenty of liveliness and variety overall.

But I could understand if L'Achéron would be too fussy and laboured for some. I've always been a big fan of the recordings by Jean-Louis Charbonnier and his ensemble (Pierre Vérany/ Ligia). Those might be more to your liking: more straightforward and energetic. For me personally, L'Achéron is a game changer with an added layer of musical detail and nuance.

The problem with Charbonnier is that in the later books (Bk 5 I think) a voice introduces each piece.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 01:49:50 AM »
The problem with Charbonnier is that in the later books (Bk 5 I think) a voice introduces each piece.

A nuisance for sure... All these declamations and recitations used to be pretty common on French Baroque recordings.... ???

Luckily they left those out on the reissue of the complete Book IV (Arion/Pièrre Vérany)