Author Topic: György Ligeti (1923-2006)  (Read 110355 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: György Ligeti (1923-2006)
« Reply #460 on: January 25, 2021, 03:57:24 AM »
Entertaining documentary

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4AhKWofVV0E&amp;ab_channel=OmriAbram" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4AhKWofVV0E&amp;ab_channel=OmriAbram</a>

He says that when he got to Cologne he was in the place where Stockhausen and Konig were working (41,22) Is he talking about Gottfried Michael Koenig, a new name for me.

http://koenigproject.nl/

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:05:48 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline hvbias

« Reply #461 on: July 01, 2021, 05:52:59 AM »
Listened to the Gielen Requiem, it's been ages since I've heard this, I forgot how dark as hell his interpretation is. The basses sound like they're from another planet.
"I feel very strongly about Chopin — I just love him" - Fou Ts'ong

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #462 on: July 01, 2021, 06:12:22 AM »
Listened to the Gielen Requiem, it's been ages since I've heard this, I forgot how dark as hell his interpretation is. The basses sound like they're from another planet.

I love that performance. Probably my favorite performance of all the ones I own, which is around 3 or 4.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #463 on: July 01, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »

That’s the one I have. I’ll have to revisit it soon

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    The museum of musical modernism
« Reply #464 on: July 04, 2021, 08:09:15 PM »

Thanks for mentioning this, I’ve found an MP3 on archive.org and it is indeed very nice. :)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #465 on: November 22, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »
Prompted by another poster (believe that it was Todd) in the current listening thread, I've explored a couple of his pieces of his Musica ricercata with Aimard via youtube.  Nos. 1 and 7 so far.  I love that Aimard has posted videos of him playing them and also other educational videos about his music and how the compositions work and the effect, musical timing of the different themes creates certain effects and the "voices" and dimensions in there which I've found to be quite helpful and illuminating.   :)

Do other posters here have certain favorites of the M.R. that they would suggest that I check out early in my journey to listen to them?

PD

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »
Prompted by another poster (believe that it was Todd) in the current listening thread, I've explored a couple of his pieces of his Musica ricercata with Aimard via youtube.  Nos. 1 and 7 so far.  I love that Aimard has posted videos of him playing them and also other educational videos about his music and how the compositions work and the effect, musical timing of the different themes creates certain effects and the "voices" and dimensions in there which I've found to be quite helpful and illuminating.   :)

Do other posters here have certain favorites of the M.R. that they would suggest that I check out early in my journey to listen to them?

PD

If you are inclined, give the ricercata a listen in order, starting at the beginning, only because Ligeti organized the little pieces in increasing order of pitch classes. (I don't know how I would choose a favorite; they're all quite interesting.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_ricercata

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #467 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:17 AM »
If you are inclined, give the ricercata a listen in order, starting at the beginning, only because Ligeti organized the little pieces in increasing order of pitch classes. (I don't know how I would choose a favorite; they're all quite interesting.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_ricercata

--Bruce
Thank you for the information about them and the suggestion--will do!  :)

And hope that you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

PD