Rediscovering Classical era piano technique

Started by Chaszz, July 22, 2015, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaszz

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

jochanaan

Interestingly, many of the points she makes, I remember from my earliest piano lessons.  I think my teacher must have been trained in the old school.

Are there any videos of the great early -20th-century pianists playing, such as Josef Hofmann, Leopold Godowski, or even Paderewski or Rachmaninoff?  Do they use this quiet-hands, elbows-at-the-side technique?
Imagination + discipline = creativity

jochanaan

Quote from: jochanaan on July 22, 2015, 07:19:35 AM
Interestingly, many of the points she makes, I remember from my earliest piano lessons.  I think my teacher must have been trained in the old school.

Are there any videos of the great early -20th-century pianists playing, such as Josef Hofmann, Leopold Godowski, or even Paderewski or Rachmaninoff?  Do they use this quiet-hands, elbows-at-the-side technique?
Answer: I just found a video of Josef Hofmann playing Rachmaninoff's C# minor Prelude (the famous one).  He most definitely hunches and tosses his hands up--except when the music gets technically demanding, when his hands get quieter.  Hmmm... :)

Holden

As soon as I saw how the fingers were meant to work I immediately thought of Horowitz in his early days with that long finger style.
Cheers

Holden

Ten thumbs

Maybe we might get back to Chopin with left hand playing in strict time.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

jochanaan

Quote from: Ten thumbs on July 24, 2015, 01:15:22 PM
Maybe we might get back to Chopin with left hand playing in strict time.
As I recall, Mozart also said that his left hand played in strict time, while his right played with more flexibility.  It makes sense, musically.  An analogy might be jazz, in which soloists improvise freely and often bend rhythms while the drums and other "rhythm" instruments keep strict time.  Yet I am reminded of the Bible verse that says to "let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth." :laugh: (Matthew 6:3)  But pianists familiar with the Romantic repertoire should already be well-versed in  "cadenza notation," in which the rhythms aren't specified. 8)

Ten thumbs

Quote from: jochanaan on July 27, 2015, 07:43:23 AM
As I recall, Mozart also said that his left hand played in strict time, while his right played with more flexibility.  It makes sense, musically.  An analogy might be jazz, in which soloists improvise freely and often bend rhythms while the drums and other "rhythm" instruments keep strict time.  Yet I am reminded of the Bible verse that says to "let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth." :laugh: (Matthew 6:3)  But pianists familiar with the Romantic repertoire should already be well-versed in  "cadenza notation," in which the rhythms aren't specified. 8)

I'm aware of Mozart used this technique. It is known that Chopin kept a metronome specifically to ensure that his left hand was keeping strict time during practice.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.