What piece is Horowitz playing here???

Started by deckard1, July 31, 2015, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deckard1

Does anyone know name of the piece that Vladimir Horowitz is playing in this Youtube video featured on 60 minutes from 1977? The piece begins at 12:58.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZm7OW3ufbc

Thanks.
'Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes'
- David Wheeler

Brian

Wow! I had that piece stuck in my head earlier today!

It is a tune from Kalman's light opera The Gypsy Princess. I do not know who wrote the piano version, or maybe Horowitz wrote it himself, but here is the original. The part you want starts at 2:33.

deckard1

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2015, 11:25:02 AM
Wow! I had that piece stuck in my head earlier today!

It is a tune from Kalman's light opera The Gypsy Princess. I do not know who wrote the piano version, or maybe Horowitz wrote it himself, but here is the original. The part you want starts at 2:33.

Thanks! Will give it a listen for sure.

The 60 Minutes interview with Horowitz I thought was great, too. Is it me, or does Vladimir seem a bit off? Not necessarily in a bad way, but, just a little peculiar. I saw another interview with him and he stuck his tongue out at the stage man. What a riot.  :)
'Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes'
- David Wheeler

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: deckard1 on July 31, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
Thanks! Will give it a listen for sure.

The 60 Minutes interview with Horowitz I thought was great, too. Is it me, or does Vladimir seem a bit off? Not necessarily in a bad way, but, just a little peculiar. I saw another interview with him and he stuck his tongue out at the stage man. What a riot.  :)

He was an incredible neurotic. Just read Harold Schonberg's book on the man for instances.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."