Oh! Jazz: the on-demand streaming platform

Started by brewski, February 17, 2024, 08:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Just discovered this site, Oh! Jazz, which has streaming jazz shows from all over the world. Their fees are not unreasonable if you use it a lot ($20 per month, or $200 per year), and some of the shows look pretty enticing, from Spain, Tokyo, Melbourne, and elsewhere.

Anyone tried it? Comments welcome.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

DavidW

Unless they are offering live concerts it seems like the price is too high.  I mean $20 a month in comparison to buying music seems like a steal, but the point of comparison are other streaming services.  If Spotify, Apple, Qobuz etc can offer all the jazz, classical and pop you can imagine at a much lower price, what is this service offering that the big ones are not?

brewski

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2024, 09:00:36 AMUnless they are offering live concerts it seems like the price is too high.  I mean $20 a month in comparison to buying music seems like a steal, but the point of comparison are other streaming services.  If Spotify, Apple, Qobuz etc can offer all the jazz, classical and pop you can imagine at a much lower price, what is this service offering that the big ones are not?

It's audio and video, live from jazz clubs, e.g., broadcast from Madrid in real time, with apparently more sophisticated camerawork than usual. And no, I wouldn't want to do a full year, but it might be worth looking at the schedule for a particular month and then springing for $20. That's how I do the Berlin Philharmonic's Digital Concert Hall: zero in on their schedule and buy a week or so at a time. Their streaming is excellent, but there's a ton of stuff elsewhere to see and hear (e.g., Elektra tonight from the Dallas Opera). I wouldn't want to just do Berlin all the time, great as they are.

-Bruce

ando

Quote from: brewski on February 17, 2024, 08:52:32 AMJust discovered this site, Oh! Jazz, which has streaming jazz shows from all over the world. Their fees are not unreasonable if you use it a lot ($20 per month, or $200 per year), and some of the shows look pretty enticing, from Spain, Tokyo, Melbourne, and elsewhere.

Anyone tried it? Comments welcome.

-Bruce
Do wish they had a free trial. May give it a go for a month but, honestly, I look at more live concerts per month for free (or, practically, with YouTube Premium). Hard to top that model. Thanks!

brewski

Quote from: ando on February 25, 2024, 03:52:06 PMDo wish they had a free trial. May give it a go for a month but, honestly, I look at more live concerts per month for free (or, practically, with YouTube Premium). Hard to top that model. Thanks!

Totally agree, a free trial would be a good idea, and YouTube is hard to beat these days.

-Bruce