Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

This landed this past week, recommended by our san anton', and then further endorsed by my brother in the Palmetto State:

[asin]B000AAIXQS[/asin]

As yet I have only listened to the Suite which is the bonus track at the end of the second disc, but that is a beauty.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Henk

Brian

Just bought Cannonball & Nat Adderley - Quintet in San Francisco. The back cover says it is "live" but live is in quotes.

Henk

Henk

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2015, 12:55:13 PM
Just bought Cannonball & Nat Adderley - Quintet in San Francisco. The back cover says it is "live" but live is in quotes.

This is a great live recording by them:

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on May 23, 2015, 01:52:26 PM
This landed this past week, recommended by our san anton', and then further endorsed by my brother in the Palmetto State:

[asin]B000AAIXQS[/asin]

As yet I have only listened to the Suite which is the bonus track at the end of the second disc, but that is a beauty.

It's a good 'un, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

;)

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2015, 12:55:13 PM

Is that the one with "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"?  If so, it is live and really good.

Henk

Bought this because it goes along with Emerson, whose work I read now. It breathes wisdom.

As well as this one, in some other way (bought it as well):

king ubu

Quote from: sanantonio on July 23, 2015, 02:55:58 PM
Is that the one with "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"?  If so, it is live and really good.

"Quintet Live in San Francisco" is the early band with Bobby Timmons - terrific album! And very much live, recorded at San Francisco's Jazz Workshop.

"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" is live, too - but not in a club. Rather they invided some folks into the studio, created an improvised bar and made sure the atmosphere was right. Cannonball obviously enjoyed recording live - there are amazing recordings from the Lighthouse, another one from the Jazz Workshop ("Jazz Workshop Revisited"), Comblain-la-Tour ("Cannonball in Europe" - a favourite of mine, there's an amazing quartet feature for Yusef Lateef on oboe, playing "Trouble in Mind"), New York's Village Vanguard ("Cannonball Adderley Sextet in New York"), Tokyo's Sankei Hall ("Nippon Soul" - another favourite ... and from Sankei Hall as well comes the later "Cannonball in Japan"), Shelly's Manne Hole ("Cannonball Adderley Live!") ... those are just some favourites, there are more. I guess about half of Adderley's total output was recorded live.

Here's the best site on Cannonball, including an extended discography (with even liner notes reproduced):
http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Bogey

Quote from: Henk on July 23, 2015, 01:15:46 PM
This is a great live recording by them:

Great music on that one,Brian.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just took delivery of this fine disq. Not entirely sure this qualifies as jazz, but it certainly kicks ass. (I heard it on KCSM's All Out in any case.) Some very interesting percussion with a range of other instrumentalists in small ensembles. A range of influences here from jazz to rock to techno/electronica...

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Bogey

30 tracks from 1963.

Here is a review

A two-CD set, with the band in great form drawing on material from all eras. There are full performances of "Suite Thursday" - much livelier than the studio take, and improved by an extended Nance violin solo on "Lay-By" - and "Tone Parallel To Harlem," in addition to the usual parade of hits ("Rockin' In Rhythm," a rearranged "Perdido"), new material ("Theme From The Asphalt Jungle") and some offbeat oldies ("Rose Of The Rio Grande"). Cootie Williams had just rejoined the band after a twenty-year absence, so "Concerto For Cootie" is back, paired with the new "Tootie For Cootie," and the set ends with "Echoes Of Harlem." Hodges is as tender as ever on his features "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" and "The Star-Crossed Lovers." Strayhorn's bombastic "The Eighth Veil" is one of the stranger tunes here; Gonsalves's feature "Cop-Out," on the other hand, sounds like any big band you'd hear on a 50s film soundtrack. Oh, and if you want to study the distinct approaches of the various soloists, this is a great place to start, because Duke calls out the name of the featured player at the end of each tune (even each solo on the everybody-blows-a-chorus "Jam With Sam"). (DBW)

I continue to be drawn to Duke's music and enjoy the later efforts as much as the earlier ones.  And being a live/concert recording junkie, this was just too much to pass up. 

Brian

Quote from: Bogey on August 09, 2015, 06:07:01 AM

30 tracks from 1963.

Here is a review

A two-CD set, with the band in great form drawing on material from all eras. There are full performances of "Suite Thursday" - much livelier than the studio take, and improved by an extended Nance violin solo on "Lay-By" - and "Tone Parallel To Harlem," in addition to the usual parade of hits ("Rockin' In Rhythm," a rearranged "Perdido"), new material ("Theme From The Asphalt Jungle") and some offbeat oldies ("Rose Of The Rio Grande"). Cootie Williams had just rejoined the band after a twenty-year absence, so "Concerto For Cootie" is back, paired with the new "Tootie For Cootie," and the set ends with "Echoes Of Harlem." Hodges is as tender as ever on his features "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" and "The Star-Crossed Lovers." Strayhorn's bombastic "The Eighth Veil" is one of the stranger tunes here; Gonsalves's feature "Cop-Out," on the other hand, sounds like any big band you'd hear on a 50s film soundtrack. Oh, and if you want to study the distinct approaches of the various soloists, this is a great place to start, because Duke calls out the name of the featured player at the end of each tune (even each solo on the everybody-blows-a-chorus "Jam With Sam"). (DBW)

I continue to be drawn to Duke's music and enjoy the later efforts as much as the earlier ones.  And being a live/concert recording junkie, this was just too much to pass up.
Oh man, please report back when you hear this. As another late Duke fan and live/concert junkie, I'm very excited by that description.

Wakefield

This is the first jazz album that I have purchased in my whole life:  ???

[asin]B002NV02SE[/asin]

Tomasz Stanko Quintet: Dark Eyes
ECM

Superb!  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

San Antone

Quote from: Gordo on August 12, 2015, 03:36:15 PM
This is the first jazz album that I have purchased in my whole life:  ???

[asin]B002NV02SE[/asin]

Tomasz Stanko Quintet: Dark Eyes
ECM

Superb!  :)

You have good instincts.   ;)  Tomasz Stanko is an excellent ECM artist.  He really got noticed after playing with the legendary pianist Krzysztof Komeda,  He's put out many CDs, and they are all uniformly good. 

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on August 12, 2015, 05:05:20 PM
You have good instincts.   ;)  Tomasz Stanko is an excellent ECM artist.  He really got noticed after playing with the legendary pianist Krzysztof Komeda,  He's put out many CDs, and they are all uniformly good.

It's good to know because I think I will be searching for some additional recordings by him and his ensembles.

My starting point was quite prosaic: I got a little obsessed with a work called "Terminal 7" which is (or was) the intro of the TV series Homeland.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ik5b6xwLUDQ

I have loved the remaining works.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

XB-70 Valkyrie

Coincidence: I was in the record store (they stock mostly new and used LPs) near my house just the other day, and I saw a Thomasz Stanko used CD for $5. I LOVE the ECM label, and figured it must be good, but I usually don't just buy music by artists I know nothing about. I meant to look this up when I got home, but didn't write it down, so of course I forgot his name...

Anyway, after reading this and listening to the sample, I will pop back in there and grab it!

His style kind of reminds me of Enrico Rava, who I like a great deal.

If you like Stanko, try this (highly recommended):

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2015, 02:58:53 PM
Oh man, please report back when you hear this. As another late Duke fan and live/concert junkie, I'm very excited by that description.

Listening to it now, Brian.  Fantastic stuff with great sound for live works.  The only pice that is misleading is that this is not one concert, but music from four concerts at the Olympia in '63.  Still, grab this two disc set.  I snagged it when I asked on another jazz forum what recordings.  One cat listed this and I am most grateful for the rec.

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 13, 2015, 01:30:42 PM
Coincidence: I was in the record store (they stock mostly new and used LPs) near my house just the other day, and I saw a Thomasz Stanko used CD for $5. I LOVE the ECM label, and figured it must be good, but I usually don't just buy music by artists I know nothing about. I meant to look this up when I got home, but didn't write it down, so of course I forgot his name...

Anyway, after reading this and listening to the sample, I will pop back in there and grab it!

His style kind of reminds me of Enrico Rava, who I like a great deal.

If you like Stanko, try this (highly recommended):

Yes; Enrico Rava would come to mind.  I find Stanko's tone to be darker, more gravelly, and and his phrasing is looser rhythmically; which I like a lot.  I like Balladya for several reasons, 1) Dave Holland; 2) it is a piano-less quartet; 3) the music is fairly abstract.