Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gordo on August 12, 2015, 03:36:15 PM
This is the first jazz album that I have purchased in my whole life:  ???

[asin]B002NV02SE[/asin]

Tomasz Stanko Quintet: Dark Eyes
ECM

Superb!  :)

Great stuff! Stanko is one of my favorites. Do give his album Suspended Night a listen. For me, this is the best album he's made for ECM. It also boasts the Marcin Wasilewski Trio who are just mesmerizingly good.

[asin]B0000V765G[/asin]

Bogey

I have had the second set on cd for some time and enjoyed it enough to grab this first set.  Sound is decent, but as for Ellington in '48, one cannot be too choosy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Walked into the used CD store and found out someone had monetized a large stash of Miles Davis CDs.

Walked out with the following
A Tribute to Jack Johnson
Filles de Kilimanjaro
Ascenseur pour l'echaufad
Amandla
Someday My Prince Will Come
and one ugly duckling

To quote an Amazon review

Songs are from the widely available Dial recording sessions of Charlie Parker, 1946-47:
Track Listing (studio recs., dates probable):
1. Night in Tunisia (3/28/46)
2. Dewey Square (10/28/47)
3. Yardbird Suite (3/28/46)
4. Ornithology (3/28/46)
5. Scrapple from the Apple (11/4/47)
6. Embraceable You (10/28/47)
7. Bird of Paradise (10/28/47)
8. Moose the Mooche (3/28/46)
9. Don't Blame Me (11/4/47)
10. Cool Blues (2/19/47) [Miles not on this track]

IOW a pirated CD that should really have Parker's name on the cover.
Although I have it on now and find it very good despite the sonics.

BTW, will probably go back later this week to get ESP, Miles Smiles and possibly others.

Artem

Someday My Prince Will Come is a really nice album. Great purchases Mr. Smith.

Wakefield

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 13, 2015, 01:30:42 PM
Coincidence: I was in the record store (they stock mostly new and used LPs) near my house just the other day, and I saw a Thomasz Stanko used CD for $5. I LOVE the ECM label, and figured it must be good, but I usually don't just buy music by artists I know nothing about. I meant to look this up when I got home, but didn't write it down, so of course I forgot his name...

Anyway, after reading this and listening to the sample, I will pop back in there and grab it!

His style kind of reminds me of Enrico Rava, who I like a great deal.

If you like Stanko, try this (highly recommended):

Thanks! Great recommendation.

Unfortunately, that specific disk wasn't available on Apple Music, but I tried happiness is... and was love at first listen.  :)

Electric live performance.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2015, 08:21:09 PM
Great stuff! Stanko is one of my favorites. Do give his album Suspended Night a listen. For me, this is the best album he's made for ECM. It also boasts the Marcin Wasilewski Trio who are just mesmerizingly good.

[asin]B0000V765G[/asin]

Thanks, MI. I will include it in the next order from USA. I need more Stanko material.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Artem on August 19, 2015, 06:26:26 PM
Someday My Prince Will Come is a really nice album. Great purchases Mr. Smith.

Went back today for a second helping.
Miles Smiles
The Music of Bags Groove
Miles Davis In Concert  [Philharmonic Hall New York Sept. 72]
Highlights From the Plugged Nickel
ESP
Live Evil

Brian

I got a gift card for my birthday and used it on some GMG recommendations.

plus

[asin]B000005LFE[/asin]

Henk

John Zorn - True discoveries of witches & demons

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2015, 07:56:51 AM
I got a gift card for my birthday and used it on some GMG recommendations.

plus

[asin]B000005LFE[/asin]

THAT is one happy triad, Brian!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mookalafalas

Didn't even know this section of GMG existed...
  Anyway, bought this today and anticipate being very satisfied ;D

[asin]B0087PI57K[/asin]
It's all good...

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 27, 2015, 04:22:15 AM
Didn't even know this section of GMG existed...
Well now there's no excuse and you have to hang out with us all the time!!  ;D ;D

That box looks seriously awesome.

king ubu

Yes, very nice box!

I collected nearly the entire "Original Vogue Masters" series released earlier by BMG, and still got the box as it's such a nice one!

It's successor though is a huge letdown ... was hoping for some more genuine Vogue sides, maybe including a few rarities, instead it's a box of US recordings that Vogue licensed back in the day. This one here, just in case:
http://www.amazon.fr/Jazz-From-America-Disques-Vogue/dp/B014S1LH9O
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mookalafalas

Brian, Ubu, nice to see you guys over here :D  This setting seems rather more cozy than in the main threads. 
   It's nice that I saw this just now, as I just put on the first disc a few minutes ago.  Django Reinhardt is showing me why he's a legend ??? Wicked cool playing.  I used to have some of his stuff on cassette years ago, but it didn't spark like this stuff.  Some tracks have clarinet, which gives it an almost Dixie energy.  The recordings are old, but "historical sound" is so much more forgiving to jazz than to classical.  Makes me want to turn out the lights and start smoking cigarettes...
  The soloists sound really sharp and clear on this disc, and I'm guessing that will be the case throughout. 
   The original discs represented in this box were were often pretty short, but lots of the CDs have 1 or 2 bonus albums added, so they are long and well loaded--and it looks to be a gold-mine! I'm binge-buying right now, but this box looks to be the best thing I've gotten in a long time. 
It's all good...

XB-70 Valkyrie

Henk, How do you like that Matthias Eick? I was looking at getting The Door.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Henk

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 06, 2015, 04:15:57 PM

It's good, if you like sober jazz, very consistent in quality. John is a huge fan.

Henk

New recording by David S. Ware, a free jazz musician I actually dig. Looks like quite an essential album within his oeuvre.

Mirror Image

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 06, 2015, 04:15:57 PM

I'm not Henk, but I do like Matthias Eick, but the only album I've listened to so far has been Skala and was quite impressed with it, although there's not much improvisation in the tradition of bebop or hard-bop or even late swing music (not that this is a deal breaker). Also, Eick pretty much has the whole show the entire time (which I don't mind in this instance) and the compositions themselves are pretty sparse. This may or may not be your cup of tea, but the best thing to do is do some sampling.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 02:03:32 PM
I'm not Henk, but I do like Matthias Eick, but the only album I've listened to so far has been Skala and was quite impressed with it, although there's not much improvisation in the tradition of bebop or hard-bop or even late swing music (not that this is a deal breaker). Also, Eick pretty much has the whole show the entire time (which I don't mind in this instance) and the compositions themselves are pretty sparse. This may or may not be your cup of tea, but the best thing to do is do some sampling.

Man you said he's the new Miles Davis or something.