Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciaccona

Picked up this 5-CD set:

[asin]B000UO7IM4[/asin]

Brian

Hoping to only make 3 or 4 big purchases this year rather than a steady stream.

Tonight's:

Old-Timey Stuff
Basin Street Blues (Pete Fountain)
Crazy Rhythm (Mike Walbridge's Chicago Footwarmers)
New Orleans Vol. 1 (Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
Swingin' the 20s (Benny Carter with Earl Hines, Leroy Vinnegar, and Shelly Manne)

More New-Timey Than The Rest
Jimmy Smith "5 Original Albums" Sony slip-box
Bags' Opus (Milt Jackson)
Johnny Hodges & Earl Hines - complete recordings together
"George Benson & Jack McDuff" 2 LP one CD compilation (New Boss Guitar / Hot Barbecue)
Sweets Edison in Copenhagen
The Great Summit Master Takes - Duke & Louis
Nightconcert - Erroll Garner Trio in Amsterdam (new release)
Portrait of Cannonball Adderley
Stitt Plays Bird
Very Saxy - Hawkins, Tate, Davis, Cobb
Virtuoso - Joe Pass

king ubu

got this yesterday:

[asin]B07HHPZZQ4[/asin]

it's a reissue of a previous box - not sure if it's substantially different, this new one (costs 40€ on a.fr) has glossy mini-lp/foldout-covers, but no booklet/liner notes at all ... I've only owned two of the albums previously (the great one with Grappelli and Haynes, and Conférence de Presse in duo with Eddy Louiss), so this was a most attractive deal.

EDIT: just read in a review of the previous box (10 CD + 2 DVD, the new one has 12 CD + 3 DVD) that it was just a wrapper around the original albums, so it did include whatever liner notes/booklets that came with the original release (but ate up three times as much shelf space).

I'm also waiting for this:

[asin]B074BV39Y1[/asin]

a less attractive proposition for me, as I have both the first one and "Toot Sweet" with Lee Konitz, but it's cheap

... and I see there's a brand new one with a fine rhythm section, released today or tomorrow:

[asin]B07KLCVXRR[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2019, 07:48:03 PM
Hoping to only make 3 or 4 big purchases this year rather than a steady stream.

Tonight's:

Old-Timey Stuff
Basin Street Blues (Pete Fountain)
Crazy Rhythm (Mike Walbridge's Chicago Footwarmers)
New Orleans Vol. 1 (Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
Swingin' the 20s (Benny Carter with Earl Hines, Leroy Vinnegar, and Shelly Manne)

More New-Timey Than The Rest
Jimmy Smith "5 Original Albums" Sony slip-box
Bags' Opus (Milt Jackson)
Johnny Hodges & Earl Hines - complete recordings together
"George Benson & Jack McDuff" 2 LP one CD compilation (New Boss Guitar / Hot Barbecue)
Sweets Edison in Copenhagen
The Great Summit Master Takes - Duke & Louis
Nightconcert - Erroll Garner Trio in Amsterdam (new release)
Portrait of Cannonball Adderley
Stitt Plays Bird
Very Saxy - Hawkins, Tate, Davis, Cobb
Virtuoso - Joe Pass

For early jazz, New Orleans groups, if you don't have the Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings, they are indispensable.  Also, any of the Joe "King" Oliver recordings from the early 20s.  Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams, Kid Ory, Johnny Dodds, Jack Teagarden, Bunk Johnson (sadly none of his early stuff survives but his revival sides are still worthwhile) are some other names to check out. 

I bolded a couple from your other group that I think are especially good. 

Great to see some interest in early jazz - I've been delving into this period a lot over the last few years and really enjoying the process.

JBS

[asin]B01D01K3RU[/asin][asin]B01D01K3RK[/asin][asin]B01M1S5ZKJ[/asin] [asin]B00Q6YLSU0[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: San Antone on January 10, 2019, 01:02:28 AM
For early jazz, New Orleans groups, if you don't have the Louis Armstrong Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings, they are indispensable.  Also, any of the Joe "King" Oliver recordings from the early 20s.  Sidney Bechet with Clarence Williams, Kid Ory, Johnny Dodds, Jack Teagarden, Bunk Johnson (sadly none of his early stuff survives but his revival sides are still worthwhile) are some other names to check out. 

I bolded a couple from your other group that I think are especially good. 

Great to see some interest in early jazz - I've been delving into this period a lot over the last few years and really enjoying the process.
Thanks! It's a genre I am also keen to explore more, and my visit to New Orleans next month is a happy coincidence of timing. Do you have any particular recommendations among modern revival/throwback groups, as well?

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2019, 07:55:45 AM
Thanks! It's a genre I am also keen to explore more, and my visit to New Orleans next month is a happy coincidence of timing. Do you have any particular recommendations among modern revival/throwback groups, as well?

Kermit Ruffins is usually playing somewhere and has a "new style" traditional band.  Trombone Shorty is popular but has gone pretty much full on funk.  Try to find some of the brass bands, Rebirth BB, New Birth BB, Treme BB, N.O. Nightcrawlers - and since you will be there almost for the build up to Mardi Gras, you might be able to find Donald Harrison playing somewhere doing his Mardi Gras Indian brand of jazz. 

If you know someone from there it's best - since the Quarter has turned into a tourist trap.  The best music is elsewhere but it's been so long since I've been, I don't know where the best clubs are anymore.

Wish I was going with you.

Brian

Thanks!! I've seen Rebirth here in Dallas and they are very cool. I plan to check the bands' schedules first before looking up specific clubs. And will use your list for reference. But some of them are definitely elusive to find online... (Am also a fan of Dr. Michael White. I like clarinet and there isn't a ton in the recorded mainstream after Bechet and Benny.)

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2019, 04:09:23 PM
Thanks!! I've seen Rebirth here in Dallas and they are very cool. I plan to check the bands' schedules first before looking up specific clubs. And will use your list for reference. But some of them are definitely elusive to find online... (Am also a fan of Dr. Michael White. I like clarinet and there isn't a ton in the recorded mainstream after Bechet and Benny.)

A few other clarinetists: Pee Wee Russell, Jimmie Noone, Johnny Dodds, Barney Bigard, George Lewis, Edmund Hall, and the Original Dixieland Jass Band featured a good clarinetist, Larry Shields.  (There is some controversy associated with the ODJB because of incendiary comments made by Nick LaRocca (cornetist) about their role in the creation of jazz.  I try to ignore that noise and just enjoy the music, which is not to be ignored.)

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 23, 2018, 07:45:58 PM
Just ordered Joe Pass and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen Chops on Pablo LP (eBay). Northsea nights (by these same two) is one of my all-time favorite records, so am greatly looking forward to this one. So far am really enjoying eBay (my second purchase since joining last month).

Sad about losing Pedersen in 2018.  Some great stuff he did with Joe Pass and Oscar Peterson; a truly great bassist.

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on January 12, 2019, 01:49:16 PM
Kermit Ruffins is usually playing somewhere and has a "new style" traditional band.  Trombone Shorty is popular but has gone pretty much full on funk.  Try to find some of the brass bands, Rebirth BB, New Birth BB, Treme BB, N.O. Nightcrawlers - and since you will be there almost for the build up to Mardi Gras, you might be able to find Donald Harrison playing somewhere doing his Mardi Gras Indian brand of jazz. 

If you know someone from there it's best - since the Quarter has turned into a tourist trap.  The best music is elsewhere but it's been so long since I've been, I don't know where the best clubs are anymore.

Wish I was going with you.

My mother visited New Orleans in the late 70s and from her description the group she heard,  Preseveration Hall Jazz Band, was entirely geared to playing for tourists back then. (I have never been.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

king ubu

Quote from: San Antone on January 12, 2019, 07:57:52 PM
Sad about losing Pedersen in 2018.  Some great stuff he did with Joe Pass and Oscar Peterson; a truly great bassist.

Not to nit-pick, but NHOP died in 2005. Had one chance to catch him live, a weird concert hall trio performance with Martial Solal and Johnny Griffin (but not drums, the acoustics of the Zurich Tonhalle can indeed not deal with drums that well, it's not a nice place for jazz concerts anyway due to its acoustics). Pedersen was great that night, Griffin was half-way out of it (but his sound was stîll there, and that alone gave me shivers), while Solal was doing his stuff ... weirdly unengaging, though Griffin must have known both for a long time (he made a pretty good duo album with Solal, too). Anyway, the highlight of the night was NHOP playing a great solo on a 12-bar-blues.

--

Regarding early jazz: don't forget to check out Jelly Roll Morton! He may not have invented jazz, but his early sides are some of the finest of that era. Also check out Luis Russell's band:

[asin]B00004WK09[/asin]

Sadly, the Russell seems to be OOP, but it's worth looking for (I don't know if there's a good alternative release for this, don't think so):

[asin]B000055YCZ[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on January 13, 2019, 10:45:38 PM
Not to nit-pick, but NHOP died in 2005.

Wow, huge oops.  I thought I had seen his name listed in one of those year end lists of who we lost.  Now I am wondering who it was I got him mixed up with.

QuoteRegarding early jazz: don't forget to check out Jelly Roll Morton! He may not have invented jazz, but his early sides are some of the finest of that era. Also check out Luis Russell's band

Ditto both those recs. 

Some compilations have bands you won't find elsewhere since their recorded output is so small.  Here's two that I own:

Paramount Jazz

Gennett Jazz

king ubu

Quote from: San Antone on January 14, 2019, 01:32:16 AM
Wow, huge oops.  I thought I had seen his name listed in one of those year end lists of who we lost.  Now I am wondering who it was I got him mixed up with.

Many losses, alas ... the ones most missed:

Hugh Masekela
Leon Ndugu Chancler
Cecil Taylor
Nathan Davis
Bob Dorough
Reggie Lucas
Lorraine Gordon
Wayne Dockery
Aretha Rranklin
Randy Weston
Hamiet Bluiett
Sonny Fortune
Roy Hargrove
Calvin Newborn
Perry Robinson
Nancy Wilson
Gildo Mahones
Jerzy Milian
Erich Kleinschuster
Jack Costanzo
John ,,Jabo" Starks
Coco Schumann
Morgana King

the bass player in the list Wayne Dockery, but I wouldn't really see how he could be mixed up with NHOP ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2019, 06:52:15 AM
Many losses, alas ... the ones most missed:

Hugh Masekela
Leon Ndugu Chancler
Cecil Taylor
Nathan Davis
Bob Dorough
Reggie Lucas
Lorraine Gordon
Wayne Dockery
Aretha Rranklin
Randy Weston
Hamiet Bluiett
Sonny Fortune
Roy Hargrove
Calvin Newborn
Perry Robinson
Nancy Wilson
Gildo Mahones
Jerzy Milian
Erich Kleinschuster
Jack Costanzo
John ,,Jabo" Starks
Coco Schumann
Morgana King

the bass player in the list Wayne Dockery, but I wouldn't really see how he could be mixed up with NHOP ...

I'm still lamenting the death of John Abercrombie (not on your list). He was one of my heroes.

king ubu

The list is restricted to 2018 losses - Abercrombie (who died in summer 2017) was indeed a fine musician. Heard him live several times, the first concert was probably the best, a duo with Marc Copland in a quite intimate setting ... later I also heard the Charles Lloyd Quartet (with Abercrombie, Marc Johnson, Billy Hart), and then his own quartet (with Mark Feldman, Johnson and Joey Baron). Abercrombie's final album on ECM was very good.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Just purchased the "Jazz from America on Disques Vogue" box - 41 albums on 20 CDs, almost all from 1940s French sources, but with all the big American stars.

[asin]B014S1LH9O[/asin]

Also found this brand new release, from the same season of touring as Mercy Mercy Mercy:

[asin]B07J33Q57S[/asin]

king ubu

The "Jazz from America" Vogue box is a weird one ... Vogue was distributing many US recordings in France (Europe?) at that time, and the box compiles some of these. There is a lot of fine music in it though, and the entire presentation is nice indeed.

I had some doubts even about the other Vogue box, which is full of goodies (but only very few I didn't already have in previous editions) ... but I got it and it's such a nice set, I had to get the second one as well, although I'd have much preffered a second instalment of Vogue's own recordings.

The Cannonball is on its way to me (together with two other recent historical/archival releases: the Dolphy 1963 sessions set and the Etta Jones from Left Bank) - looking forward very, very much to it! At that time, Cannonball was really deep, even if his music is pleasant and crowd-pleasing on the surface ... in my house, he's one of the jazz giants.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on February 04, 2019, 01:11:18 AM
The Cannonball is on its way to me (together with two other recent historical/archival releases: the Dolphy 1963 sessions set and the Etta Jones from Left Bank) - looking forward very, very much to it! At that time, Cannonball was really deep, even if his music is pleasant and crowd-pleasing on the surface ... in my house, he's one of the jazz giants.
A giant in my house too. It helps that my girlfriend likes Cannonball's speaking voice as much as I like his Alto sax, so she is always happy to let me put on a live (or "live") album of his.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on February 04, 2019, 07:10:41 AM
A giant in my house too. It helps that my girlfriend likes Cannonball's speaking voice as much as I like his Alto sax, so she is always happy to let me put on a live (or "live") album of his.

Cool!

I initally fell in love with his playing with rather early records ("Quintet in San Francisco", "Nippon Soul", "Live in Europe" - all live obviously -, and of course "Somethin' Else", which I got even earlier as I considered it kind of a Miles record, which it partly is I think) ... but those mid/late 60s live albums are so hot, they are loser, yet somehow also more focussed, Cannonbally finally seems to channel what he learnt from playing side by side with Coltrane, but he makes his very own use of it, without compromising his own approach.

When Sony ran their huge Herbie Hancock box, which prooved endlessly fascinating (despite containing some rather doubtful music, next to masterpieces and so-so albums), I read somewhere about how fun it would be to get the Capitol output by Cannonball in a similarly complete fashion ... concept albums, live and semi-live albums, stuff with strings next to the smokin' albums that ahve been reissued - it would indeed be a total blast! I'm doing my best to snatch up whatever gets reissued in terms of later Cannonball.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!