Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2020, 08:01:08 PM
Going overboard... Not posting pictures because I have to order and type on my phone, my laptop sadly being busted  :(

"Five Original Albums" space saver boxes of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Grant Green (these are official Blue Note releases not bootlegs)

- Shelly Manne Live at the Black Hawk (complete box)
- Encounter (Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, etc)
- Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges
- Bags & Trane
- Ballads & Blues (again with Bags)
- an off brand twofer of Bags' albums Statements and Vibrations feat. Hank Jones and others
- Night Train (Oscar Peterson)
- The Jazztet and John Lewis
- Only the Blues (Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson trio)
- Out of the Forrest (Jimmy Forrest)
- The Thumper (Jimmy Heath)
- The Sermon (Jimmy Smith)
- Sammy Rimington Quintet
- Screamin' (Jack McDuff)
- Screamin' the Blues (Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy)
- Tenor Giants (Zoot Sims, Eddie Davis, Oscar Peterson)
- George Shearing & Cannonball Adderley Quintets at Newport
- Norman Granz' "Greatest Concerts" set on Pablo

That should keep me busy for the rest of 2020.

Most of those I haven't even heard, but considering the personnel I'd think you could scarcely go wrong. I do know the Shelly Manne Black Hawk set is excellent (I have the individual releases). :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2020, 08:01:08 PM
Going overboard... Not posting pictures because I have to order and type on my phone, my laptop sadly being busted  :(

"Five Original Albums" space saver boxes of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Grant Green (these are official Blue Note releases not bootlegs)

- Shelly Manne Live at the Black Hawk (complete box)
- Encounter (Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, etc)
- Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges
- Bags & Trane
- Ballads & Blues (again with Bags)
- an off brand twofer of Bags' albums Statements and Vibrations feat. Hank Jones and others
- Night Train (Oscar Peterson)
- The Jazztet and John Lewis
- Only the Blues (Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson trio)
- Out of the Forrest (Jimmy Forrest)
- The Thumper (Jimmy Heath)
- The Sermon (Jimmy Smith)
- Sammy Rimington Quintet
- Screamin' (Jack McDuff)
- Screamin' the Blues (Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy)
- Tenor Giants (Zoot Sims, Eddie Davis, Oscar Peterson)
- George Shearing & Cannonball Adderley Quintets at Newport
- Norman Granz' "Greatest Concerts" set on Pablo

That should keep me busy for the rest of 2020.

I have some of the albums. The Jimmy Heath disc is my favorite. I haven't heard Rimmington.

Brian

Today:

- Buddy Tate and His Buddies
- Gene Ammons / Art Farmer complete jam sessions (a Euro label reissue with several albums compiled together)
- Shelly Manne and His Men, Complete Live at the Manne-Hole
- Mississippi John Hurt complete studio recordings
- West Coast Blues (Harold Land etc.)
- Triple Play (Johnny Hodges with a bunch of Ellingtonians)

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 15, 2020, 06:50:47 PM
I haven't heard Rimmington.
A UK-born clarinetist who got caught up in New Orleans style trad jazz, moved to NOLA, and jammed with many of the old-timers starting in the 70s.

Old San Antone

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2020, 08:12:38 AM
Today:

- Buddy Tate and His Buddies
- Gene Ammons / Art Farmer complete jam sessions (a Euro label reissue with several albums compiled together)
- Shelly Manne and His Men, Complete Live at the Manne-Hole
- Mississippi John Hurt complete studio recordings
- West Coast Blues (Harold Land etc.)
- Triple Play (Johnny Hodges with a bunch of Ellingtonians)

The West Coast stuff is worthwhile, but the bolded names are the best.  John Hurt is unique; acoustic blues with a gentle, finger-picking style that has a folky quality.

André Le Nôtre

Just received (as part of my winter listening fest):

Pat Metheny, One Quiet Night

Charles Lloyd, Jumping the Creek

Arve Henriksen, Chiaroscuro

Sonny Rollins-Milestones of a Legend 10 CD Box (thank-you gift for contribution to KCSM):

Brian

just arrived, my last jazz purchases of 2020, used copies of:

Reunion Blues - Oscar Peterson and Milt Jackson
two Montreux '77 jam sessions, the Basie one with all his band alumni and the "Pablo All Stars"
The Champ - Sonny Stitt and Joe Newman

T. D.

I'm still waiting (over a month) on Sam Rivers Braids, ordered from Lithuania.

Year-end purchases (just before the bell, not yet received):

Japanese reissue of Billy Harper, Black Saint
Bunch of ECMs from a guy liquidating his collection:
Dave Holland, Extended Play Live at Birdland
Denny Zeitlin/Charlie Haden, Time Remembers One Time Once
Paul Bley, Solo in Mondsee
P. Bley/Peacock/Oxley/Surman, In the Evenings Out There
Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High

Artem

Do you follow NoBusiness releases?

T. D.

Quote from: Artem on January 02, 2021, 11:22:04 AM
Do you follow NoBusiness releases?

Yes. I own a fair number of NB releases (for instance, all 4 of the Rivers series once Braids arrives, the Moondoc Muntu box, the Wm. Parker Centering box and various singletons). But so far I've purchased only archival material as opposed to current/new recordings.

Artem

I'm curious about their archival releases. Any highlights you could recommend?

T. D.

Quote from: Artem on January 02, 2021, 01:04:03 PM
I'm curious about their archival releases. Any highlights you could recommend?

I have trouble posting NB images here, will just give links.

The three in the Sam Rivers series so far, and I expect good things of the fourth: http://nobusinessrecords.com/sam-rivers.html

I really like these two:

Jemeel Moondoc Muntu Recordings http://nobusinessrecords.com/muntu-recordings.html
The Group (Ahmed Abdullah - trumpet, flugelhorn/Marion Brown - alto saxophone/Billy Bang - violin/Sirone - bass/Fred Hopkins - bass/Andrew Cyrille - drums) Live: http://nobusinessrecords.com/the-group-live.html

The NB box sets are nicely documented with excellent booklets.

Artem

Thank you for the suggestions. I may need to order something from that record label.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 02, 2021, 08:49:57 AMYear-end purchases (just before the bell, not yet received):

Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High

One of my favorite jazz albums of all-time. I'm quite a fan of Wheeler's music and he has done many other great albums (The Widow in the Window and Music for Large & Small Ensembles being particular highlights), but none of them have meant as much to me as Gnu High. Another ECM album that would come with me to the desert island is Jan Garbarek's Witchi-Tai-To.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 02, 2021, 08:24:36 PM
One of my favorite jazz albums of all-time. I'm quite a fan of Wheeler's music and he has done many other great albums (The Widow in the Window and Music for Large & Small Ensembles being particular highlights), but none of them have meant as much to me as Gnu High. Another ECM album that would come with me to the desert island is Jan Garbarek's Witchi-Tai-To.

I listened to a lot of (jazz) ECM back in the '80s to early '90s (Metheny, Corea, Jarrett and a few others), but slowed down for whatever reason and even developed some dislike for their "trademark sound". The pendulum swung back, and I've been listening to more lately.
Never heard any Kenny Wheeler (as leader) until a few months ago, when Music for Large and Small Ensembles really impressed me. Got his Black Saint/Soul Note box and have been meaning to add more of his ECMs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 03, 2021, 09:55:08 AM
I listened to a lot of (jazz) ECM back in the '80s to early '90s (Metheny, Corea, Jarrett and a few others), but slowed down for whatever reason and even developed some dislike for their "trademark sound". The pendulum swung back, and I've been listening to more lately.
Never heard any Kenny Wheeler (as leader) until a few months ago, when Music for Large and Small Ensembles really impressed me. Got his Black Saint/Soul Note box and have been meaning to add more of his ECMs.

Very nice. I've always been an 'ECM guy' as far back as when I was in my early teens. I think the first ECM album that I heard that impressed me (and still does) to no end was Ralph Towner's Solstice (another desert island recording for me). I never have been able to get into Keith Jarrett, but his work on Gnu High and his earlier work with Miles Davis and Charles Lloyd is an exception.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2021, 07:23:23 PM
Very nice. I've always been an 'ECM guy' as far back as when I was in my early teens. I think the first ECM album that I heard that impressed me (and still does) to no end was Ralph Towner's Solstice (another desert island recording for me). I never have been able to get into Keith Jarrett, but his work on Gnu High and his earlier work with Miles Davis and Charles Lloyd is an exception.

Can't disagree with you on Jarrett. Started listening to him because he was a Miles alumnus. I kept a couple of his old Euro quartet ECMs (Belonging and Personal Mountains) that are pretty good in places, but his long solo concerts (e.g. Koln, La Scala) wore out their welcome after a few listens and got culled. I stopped following his work as leader, but wouldn't avoid him as sideman with musicians I like.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 03, 2021, 07:50:13 PM
Can't disagree with you on Jarrett. Started listening to him because he was a Miles alumnus. I kept a couple of his old Euro quartet ECMs (Belonging and Personal Mountains) that are pretty good in places, but his long solo concerts (e.g. Koln, La Scala) wore out their welcome after a few listens and got culled. I stopped following his work as leader, but wouldn't avoid him as sideman with musicians I like.

One of the things that bothers me the most about Jarrett's solo albums is the audible groaning he does when he's improvising. I realize some jazz pianists do this from time to time like Monk or Oscar Peterson, but Jarrett's is so audible and distracting that I have to turn off whatever recording it is after about 3 seconds. I never have been a fan of solo jazz piano with the exception of a few pieces like Ellington's Single Petal of a Rose for example, which must be counted as one of the loviest pieces of music I've ever heard.

T. D.

Yes, an awful lot of jazz pianists vocalise. I've kind of gotten used to it, because a couple I greatly admire (Bud Powell and Barry Harris) are pretty loud. But Jarrett bugs me the most by far. Powell is nearly over the line, but I have to let it go because he's such a legend.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on January 03, 2021, 09:44:08 PM
Yes, an awful lot of jazz pianists vocalise. I've kind of gotten used to it, because a couple I greatly admire (Bud Powell and Barry Harris) are pretty loud. But Jarrett bugs me the most by far. Powell is nearly over the line, but I have to let it go because he's such a legend.

I don't listen to Bud Powell very often. For the record, my favorite jazz pianist is Bill Evans and has been since my teens. When I listen to him, I'm completely in a different world altogether. No other jazz pianist has this kind of mental hold on me.

T. D.

I think Booker Little, who died of kidney disease at a tragically young age, was a brilliant trumpeter. Have gradually been collecting recordings on which he plays.