Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on January 03, 2021, 09:55:08 AM
Never heard any Kenny Wheeler (as leader) until a few months ago, when Music for Large and Small Ensembles really impressed me. Got his Black Saint/Soul Note box and have been meaning to add more of his ECMs.

I realize I'm replying to a post made back in January, but nevertheless, here's a good one:

Not on ECM but a very fine album (might be somewhat hard to find at a reasonable price):

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on May 07, 2021, 05:57:27 PM
I think Booker Little, who died of kidney disease at a tragically young age, was a brilliant trumpeter. Have gradually been collecting recordings on which he plays.

I suppose you have these recordings in some iteration or other:

If not, remedy this appalling oversight post-haste. :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Brian

Went a little bit wild with a spree...

- Monk's Dreams: Complete Works of Thelonious Monk (Frank Kimbrough, Scott Robinson, Rufus Reid, Billy Drummond) (6 CD)
- Tommy Flanagan Tokyo Recital
- Barry Harris at the Jazz Workshop
- Wes Montgomery "Five Original Albums" slim box set + Bags Meets Wes
- Kenny Burrell "Five Original Albums" slim box set covering his 1956-59 albums, + Midnight Blue
- Count Basie "Five Original Albums" slim box set including Atomic, Chairman of the Board, and Basie/Bennett
- Soul Street with Jimmy Forrest and Oliver Nelson
- Joe Newman: Jive at Five, Good n Groovy, Joe's Hap'nins
- The Scene with Jimmy Rushing and Zoot Sims

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 07, 2021, 06:40:51 PM
I suppose you have these recordings in some iteration or other:

If not, remedy this appalling oversight post-haste. :D

A big fan of both Dolphy and Booker Little here. I didn't know about the complete edition. Will order it tomorrow!

SimonNZ

Do you have Miles Davis And Horns?

mabuse

Recently, I undertook a little exploration into the Sonny Rollins discography ...
It was very satisfying to find some treasures there !  :)

Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders (1958)

Sonny Rollins Trio ‎– live in Europe 1959 (complete recordings)

Now's the Time (1964)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: mabuse on June 26, 2021, 11:02:42 AM
Recently, I undertook a little exploration into the Sonny Rollins discography ...
It was very satisfying to find some treasures there !  :)

Lol yeah, that's putting it mildly ... ;D

The albums he released in 1956 alone would be the envy of many other musicians' careers.

Sonny is still alive, but alas, unable to play anymore. :(

mabuse

Quote from: Alek Hidell on June 26, 2021, 08:07:49 PM
Lol yeah, that's putting it mildly ... ;D

Sorry for my weird English language :D

The imposing career of Sonny Rollins is not so easy for me to apprehend...

The discovery last year of this album was a good lead for my research :

Rollins in Holland: The 1967 Studio & Live Recordings
Resonance records (2020)

I really liked these very raw and energetic sessions... The contribution of Han Bennink is not for nothing.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: mabuse on June 27, 2021, 06:44:04 AM
Sorry for my weird English language :D

The imposing career of Sonny Rollins is not so easy for me to apprehend...

No worries. I'm glad you are taking my remark in good humor, which is how it was intended. Your English seems quite good to me.

You're exploring a period of his career with which I'm not too familiar, actually, and it reminds me that I need to look more into his '60s stuff. This one in particular sounds interesting - I like Han Bennink (also still alive), who is a bit of a comedian when he performs.

mabuse

Quote from: Alek Hidell on June 27, 2021, 12:29:44 PM
I like Han Bennink (also still alive), who is a bit of a comedian when he performs.

He's 79 years old this year and still drumming !  :P

Over time, I discovered a lot of music thanks to him.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on June 27, 2021, 01:21:56 PM
My Sonny Rollins collection is really 1950s-heavy. I have just a few (3? off the top of my head) '60s releases, not very adventurous ones at that, and nothing from later decades.
I was meaning to get that (recent) Dutch Resonance reissue, but it slipped my mind, as often happens. Thanks for the reminder.

For later stuff, here's a superb overview:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

His S'Wonderful in an album released about 20 years ago was good.

mabuse

Quote from: T. D. on July 23, 2021, 08:45:23 PM
Couple of good recent acquisitions:

Two Programs: The ICP Orchestra Performs Thelonious Monk and Herbie Nichols. This is freewheeling and fun; btw I've heard too many Monk tributes and it takes a lot for one to "move the needle".

It is ordered ! ;D

Brian

First purchase of 2022 is three essential-looking albums that I'm completely missing.

Despite the Amazon logo, I actually bought them from Presto. Combined total for the three albums, new, just $20.25 US.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2022, 04:11:06 PM
First purchase of 2022 is three essential-looking albums that I'm completely missing.

Despite the Amazon logo, I actually bought them from Presto. Combined total for the three albums, new, just $20.25 US.

Giant Steps always reminds me of Paul Hindemith.

Artem

I think it such an odd album in Coltrane's discography. He never sounded like it afterwards or even before.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Artem on January 02, 2022, 12:50:10 PM
I think it such an odd album in Coltrane's discography. He never sounded like it afterwards or even before.

GS and Count down are based on the similar chord progressions and he played different scales every 2-4 bars. The approach is totally opposite to Miles' modal approach and it made the album somehow significant. Coltrane's Sound may sound a little similar while I prefer it to GS.

71 dB

Bobo Stenson Trio - War Orphans
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on March 19, 2022, 12:37:08 PM
Bobo Stenson Trio - War Orphans

Nice! I've been meaning to check out Stenson's solo work. I absolutely LOVED his playing on Jan Garbarek's Witchi-Tai-To and several of the Charles Lloyd albums I've heard.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2022, 07:50:57 PM
Nice! I've been meaning to check out Stenson's solo work. I absolutely LOVED his playing on Jan Garbarek's Witchi-Tai-To and several of the Charles Lloyd albums I've heard.

I'm not sure if I explore this music very deeply, but I figured I want at least ONE disc of it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"