Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on November 08, 2015, 02:07:24 PM
Man you said he's the new Miles Davis or something.

I said he's a good trumpeter and I like his music (what little I've heard), but I don't recall ever saying he's 'the new Miles Davis'.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 02:13:34 PM
I said he's a good trumpeter and I like his music (what little I've heard), but I don't recall ever saying he's 'the new Miles Davis'.

Got ya! >:D

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2015, 08:08:35 PM
Since when did listening/enjoying a recording become some kind of contest? Did I miss one of the memos?

For me, this album is as good as Kind of Blue (don't like Giant Steps):

This album is so good that I can put it on repeat and never get tired of it, but, again, enjoying music shouldn't be about finding something better, it should be about finding the kind of music that moves you the most and people should just forget whether it's 'groundbreaking' or 'ahead of its time'. I think this kind of mentality completely drains the life out of listening to music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on November 08, 2015, 02:18:30 PM
Got ya! >:D

I was talking about the greatness of that Manu Katche album and how I rated it as highly as Kind Of Blue. Never were the words "Eick is the new Miles Davis" uttered. I was merely making a grand comparison. That's all. You read too much into my previous comment.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 03:30:57 PM
I was talking about the greatness of that Manu Katche album and how I rated it as highly as Kind Of Blue. Never were the words "Eick is the new Miles Davis" uttered. I was merely making a grand comparison. That's all. You read too much into my previous comment.

Yes, my mistake. I confused Katche and Eick. Need to check that Katche album however! :)

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 03:30:57 PM

However I could say you are almost saying "Katche is the new Miles Davis". Right?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on November 08, 2015, 03:39:55 PM
Yes, my mistake. I confused Katche and Eick. Need to check that Katche album however! :)

Yes, do check out the album. :)

Quote from: Henk on November 08, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
However I could say you are almost saying "Katche is the new Miles Davis". Right?

I'm certainly not saying that either. I'm comparing the album Playground to the greatness of Kind Of Blue.

Brian

Just purchased a bunch of Telarc stuff:

- Oscar Peterson Trio Live at the Blue Note (4 CDs)
- Oscar Peterson Meets Roy Hargrove and Ralph Moore
- Lionel Hampton and His Golden Men of Jazz

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on November 08, 2015, 07:36:03 PM

The Blue Note set is wonderful! (Only wish OP hadn't used Bobby Durham and his rim-shot-on-4 all the time ...)
If you're looking for more, I'd recommend the Very Tall band, another reunion (Blue Note is the reunion of the Peterson/Ellis/Brown trio plus drums, Very Tall is the reunion of OP/Milt Jackson). However, it seems CD-Rs are being sold (and not openly so ... happens with ex-Fantasy/OJCCD reissues as well, alas - I hate it).

Have the Hampton, too ... not great but certainly enjoyable.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2015, 03:55:33 PM
Yes, do check out the album. :)

I'm certainly not saying that either. I'm comparing the album Playground to the greatness of Kind Of Blue.

Ok, I learn from Karl via you. ;)

Henk

Quote from: Brian on November 08, 2015, 07:36:03 PM

Another suggestion:
[asin]B000000XJ0[/asin]

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on November 08, 2015, 10:39:39 PM
Have the Hampton, too ... not great but certainly enjoyable.
I borrowed the Hampton Blue Note (and OP meets Dizzy, Henk!) from a friend who let me loan them for as long as I wanted. The Hampton album was the first time I'd heard Harry "Sweets" Edison, and his solo feature is so great it caused me to buy 5 more Sweets CDs.

I do think there are a few great tracks on there - the Sweets feature, the Hampton feature where he uses a classical theme-and-variations approach to slowly build the tune up - but having been culled from several evenings, it is weird to have some great artists on there who only do 1-2 solos each.

Henk

Quote from: Brian on November 09, 2015, 04:17:39 AM
I borrowed the Hampton Blue Note (and OP meets Dizzy, Henk!) from a friend who let me loan them for as long as I wanted. The Hampton album was the first time I'd heard Harry "Sweets" Edison, and his solo feature is so great it caused me to buy 5 more Sweets CDs.

I do think there are a few great tracks on there - the Sweets feature, the Hampton feature where he uses a classical theme-and-variations approach to slowly build the tune up - but having been culled from several evenings, it is weird to have some great artists on there who only do 1-2 solos each.

Wonderful! :)

San Antone

Re: Oscar Peterson

While his recorded legacy is huge, I don't think he was ever better than with his classic trio with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen.  They made a dozen or more absolutely great recordings, this being one:

king ubu

Re: Harry Edison ... "Sweets" on Verve, with Ben Webster and Jimmy Rowles, is stellar!

[asin]B0007KVAJS[/asin]

Re: Peterson - a top favourite in my house is the London House box - alas OOP:

[asin]B00000473T[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Henk

Quote from: Brian on November 09, 2015, 04:17:39 AM
and OP meets Dizzy, Henk!

Just listened to it. It's a great demonstration of what jazz is and of Dizzy's style and qualities.

When you liked it, you also need this one, Brian:
[asin]B0118FWJJA[/asin]

A new release. Solo work. It can be called the continuation of Gillespie's style and music on guitar. Totally in the spirit of Gillespie!

Mookalafalas

finally got this--amazon.italy.
[asin]B003V1ARGC[/asin]
   Ridiculously cheap price.  This is NOT a re-release of the old riverside box.  Doesn't have all the alt takes, which, frankly, I'm happy about.  Cool cover, but I'd've paid more for little cardboard sleeves with all the original artwork...
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Saw this at the local shop. Instant pounce:

[asin]B014S1LH9O[/asin]

Hope the recording quality is as good as the other Vogue box...
It's all good...

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 22, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
Saw this at the local shop. Instant pounce:

[asin]B014S1LH9O[/asin]

Hope the recording quality is as good as the other Vogue box...

Excellent! - I have my eye on this one too.
Great buy :)

Green Destiny

Ordered this one:

Green Destiny

Got gifted an Amazon voucher for Christmas so got these 2 boxes:

Merry Christmas everyone and happy listening :)