The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Jazz Purchases

<< < (2/71) > >>

Henk:

--- Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2015, 11:55:13 AM ---Just bought Cannonball & Nat Adderley - Quintet in San Francisco. The back cover says it is "live" but live is in quotes.

--- End quote ---

This is a great live recording by them:

San Antone:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on May 23, 2015, 12:52:26 PM ---This landed this past week, recommended by our san anton', and then further endorsed by my brother in the Palmetto State:

San Antone:

--- Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2015, 11:55:13 AM ---Just bought Cannonball & Nat Adderley - Quintet in San Francisco. The back cover says it is "live" but live is in quotes.

--- End quote ---

Is that the one with "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"?  If so, it is live and really good.

Henk:

Bought this because it goes along with Emerson, whose work I read now. It breathes wisdom.

As well as this one, in some other way (bought it as well):

king ubu:

--- Quote from: sanantonio on July 23, 2015, 01:55:58 PM ---Is that the one with "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"?  If so, it is live and really good.

--- End quote ---

"Quintet Live in San Francisco" is the early band with Bobby Timmons - terrific album! And very much live, recorded at San Francisco's Jazz Workshop.

"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" is live, too - but not in a club. Rather they invided some folks into the studio, created an improvised bar and made sure the atmosphere was right. Cannonball obviously enjoyed recording live - there are amazing recordings from the Lighthouse, another one from the Jazz Workshop ("Jazz Workshop Revisited"), Comblain-la-Tour ("Cannonball in Europe" - a favourite of mine, there's an amazing quartet feature for Yusef Lateef on oboe, playing "Trouble in Mind"), New York's Village Vanguard ("Cannonball Adderley Sextet in New York"), Tokyo's Sankei Hall ("Nippon Soul" - another favourite ... and from Sankei Hall as well comes the later "Cannonball in Japan"), Shelly's Manne Hole ("Cannonball Adderley Live!") ... those are just some favourites, there are more. I guess about half of Adderley's total output was recorded live.

Here's the best site on Cannonball, including an extended discography (with even liner notes reproduced):
http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version