Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Bought a bunch of used discs on Amazon Marketplace:

- Six Pieces of Silver. Horace Silver with Donald Byrd and others
- Charles Mingus Sextet, Cornell 1964
- Gunslinging Birds. Mingus Big Band (post-Mingus, that is)
- Alone with Three Giants. Marcus Roberts
- See You at the Fair. Ben Webster, Hank Jones, etc.
- With Billie in Mind. Teddy Wilson
- Bean Bags. Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins
- Ain't But a Few of Us Left. Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Grady Tate (what a lineup, wow)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Today just found two very interesting Pablo LPs, and will give them a cleaning and spin (and conversion to FLAC) next month when I have time:

- Sarah Vaughan "I Love Brazil!"
- Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillsepie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Brian

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 18, 2017, 07:10:48 PM
- Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillsepie
That's a good one - two showoffs equally matched. But I like the Oscar and Harry Edison album even more.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on November 19, 2017, 06:07:16 PM
That's a good one - two showoffs equally matched. But I like the Oscar and Harry Edison album even more.

Edison and Eldridge! (Not sure though I've heard th Gillespie ... and definitely haven't - and don't intend to - the Faddis, fourth in that mini series).

Speaking OP an Pablo and duets/meetings, those with Count Basie are wonderful - and I guess OP w/Ella ain't half bad (a change of pace from all the lovely Ella/Pass ones).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on November 22, 2017, 03:03:40 AM
Edison and Eldridge! (Not sure though I've heard th Gillespie ... and definitely haven't - and don't intend to - the Faddis, fourth in that mini series).

Speaking OP an Pablo and duets/meetings, those with Count Basie are wonderful - and I guess OP w/Ella ain't half bad (a change of pace from all the lovely Ella/Pass ones).
The Faddis one is bad. I respect his playing, but he has such a shrill, harsh sound - goes for loudness rather than expression - that it's physically difficult for my ears to listen.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on November 22, 2017, 07:04:36 AM
The Faddis one is bad. I respect his playing, but he has such a shrill, harsh sound - goes for loudness rather than expression - that it's physically difficult for my ears to listen.

Reading similar reviews and having similar feelings towards him I steered clear of it!

Isn't there actually one with Clark Terry? They collaborated earlier and later, guess that could be nice in just a duo setting, too.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on November 22, 2017, 09:03:28 AM
Reading similar reviews and having similar feelings towards him I steered clear of it!

Isn't there actually one with Clark Terry? They collaborated earlier and later, guess that could be nice in just a duo setting, too.
There is a Clark Terry one! I need to buy it! Thanks for the reminder.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just found another interesting LP at my local crackhouse book/record store. I have very little Brubeck in my collection, but I really love this cover. A lucky find--stereo and in absolutely mint condition.

Mirror Image

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2017, 06:26:34 PM
Just bought:

That Bill Frisell recording is very good, imo.  I haven't heard the Charles Lloyd one you bought, which is odd since I usually listen to everything of his I see (will look for it).  Lloyd's work is always worthwhile and he's released some really fantastic records over the years.  The stuff since he came out of self-induced retirement has been uniformly excellent. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on December 25, 2017, 01:46:13 AM
That Bill Frisell recording is very good, imo.  I haven't heard the Charles Lloyd one you bought, which is odd since I usually listen to everything of his I see (will look for it).  Lloyd's work is always worthwhile and he's released some really fantastic records over the years.  The stuff since he came out of self-induced retirement has been uniformly excellent.

Definitely looking forward to hearing both recordings, David. Love Frisell's and Lloyd's work. It's great seeing two of my musical heroes play together.

Alek Hidell

Following the five-star review on the Free Jazz Blog:

I have only a couple of Breuker's albums - and have yet to hear either of them (a constant refrain from me, it seems). So I've splurged for this retrospective. A bit pricey (a little over $100 with shipping from the Low Countries), so I hope I like it. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just bought Julie London All Through The Night (Cole Porter song book) LP off Ebay, albeit the Stereo version. My first ever purchase through Ebay! I could have bought the CD, or the new vinyl release, but this was just too cool to pass up on original vinyl!

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on January 27, 2018, 06:44:58 PM
Just bought Julie London All Through The Night (Cole Porter song book) LP off Ebay, albeit the Stereo version. My first ever purchase through Ebay! I could have bought the CD, or the new vinyl release, but this was just too cool to pass up on original vinyl!

Oh, that one is classic.  Enjoy!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks, I'm going to pick up Around Midnight soon too. I heard a piece or two from that one (as well as All Through The Night) on KCSM and have had them on my Amazon list for a while--but so much more fun to get them on vinyl.

San Antone

Won an eBay auction for this Albert Ayler box set from Revenant

Holy Ghost is the first comprehensive attempt to build a monument in sound to Albert Ayler. The settings — radio and TV sessions, studio demos, private recordings, live concert footage — find his music at its most liberated. And with the sponsorship and assistance of Ayler's family, friends, and colleagues, Holy Ghost documents his never-before-heard first and last recordings, bookending rare and unissued music from every stage of his career.

Albert Ayler: heard ABOUT more than heard. But that's all about to change.

9 CDs of rare & unissued recordings
208 pg. full-color hardbound book
new essays by Amiri Baraka, Val Wilmer & other Ayler scholars
unpublished photos & family memorabilia
artist testimonials of first encounters with Ayler's music
exhaustive chronology of Ayler performance activities
housed in lavish Spirit Box cast from handcarved original

Nominated for two 2005 Grammy Awards.

Mirror Image

Bought a bit earlier today:

Mirror Image

I figured it was time I upgraded my OJC issue of Monk's classic: Brilliant Corners to the 24-bit Keepnews Collection issue:

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 04, 2018, 09:06:38 AM
I figured it was time I upgraded my OJC issue of Monk's classic: Brilliant Corners to the 24-bit Keepnews Collection issue:

If I may quote you, M.I.: pounds the table! :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on February 10, 2018, 06:45:55 PM
If I may quote you, M.I.: pounds the table! :)

Indeed! A fantastic album.