Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Ayler box looks very tempting. I have a two or three CD set on Impulse but would like to explore more.

Just bought these two cheap on Amazon. THey had been on my wishlist for many years. I'm going in reverse order in my wish list now--too many things have accumulated at the bottom for too many years.

Archie Shepp Kwanza

Joey Caldarrazzo Haiku

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Alek Hidell

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 13, 2018, 04:35:37 PM
Ayler box looks very tempting.

It certainly does. I was aware of that release, but I never really knew how nicely appointed it is. Sigh. [Starts searching for reasonably-priced copy]

Arrived yesterday from Italy, after I ordered it from a Discogs seller last October (!!):

Coti K.: Solesulsuolo

I really don't know what kind of music I'm going to get here, other than what I've heard from a sample on the Free Jazz Blog. But it was mentioned very favorably there, so I'm taking a chance on it. (The purchase from Italy was not very expensive - about $15, I think, including the overseas shipping.)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

king ubu

The Ayler box is amazing! But make no mistake, it does not tell the full story (well, it does in terms of words, there's a great book - and lots of memorabilia and stuff to go along with it), it's more like the apocryphs, a huge addition to the studio albums on ESP-Disk, various european labels, and Impulse. There is amazing stuff to be found in the box, but also some overlap with other releases (some of them OOP by now, maybe?).

Hat Hut has been releasing more Ayler, the Lörrach/Paris disc from the 1966 european tour (the one that shook the Beeb so much they destroyed their tapes of the London performance) has been out on Hat for a while, then they put out one more with two more 1966 set (one of which is in the Holy Ghost box, while there would have been one more set in circulation and never on any (semi-)official release ...)

The Copenhagen studio material was out on Ayler Records (formerly Swedish, now French ... do also consider their fantastic Jimmy Lyons box!), one of the two sets was duplicated in the "Holy Ghost" box, and I think now both are on another Hat Hut disc ...

Then there is Hilversum, out on various labels, including a few years ago ESP-Disk', but now also on Hat ...

Either way, the Albert Ayler website is most helpful (and also cleans up the mess I'm making above re: Hat reissues ... I think Hilversum and one of the Copenhagen sets have been combined).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on February 13, 2018, 10:24:23 PM
The Ayler box is amazing! But make no mistake, it does not tell the full story

Yes, but I already had the official releases and this box contains some of his best performances, imo, of anything I've heard.  I got it for $74 and would suggest not paying more than $100, but I was lucky.  I have seen it for $200 and, in a few places, even higher.  Strictly for hard core Ayler fans.

king ubu

Quote from: San Antone on February 14, 2018, 04:30:09 AM
Yes, but I already had the official releases and this box contains some of his best performances, imo, of anything I've heard.  I got it for $74 and would suggest not paying more than $100, but I was lucky.  I have seen it for $200 and, in a few places, even higher.  Strictly for hard core Ayler fans.

Yes, it contains some amazing music, no doubt - just wanted to stress that it shouldn't be considered an alternative for "Spîritual Unity", "Vibrations", "Spirits Rejoice", "Slugs' Saloon" etc, but a mighty addition. The Cleveland live material has still not surfaced anywhere else, and I guess it alone is worth buying the box.

Not sure what I paid, it was one of very few pre-orders I ever did ... had the courier re-routed to my workplace at that time and still remember being called by reception about a delivery having arrived ... and going back to my desk to unwrap the huge box  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just ordered Joe Pass and Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen Chops on Pablo LP (eBay). Northsea nights (by these same two) is one of my all-time favorite records, so am greatly looking forward to this one. So far am really enjoying eBay (my second purchase since joining last month).

Turner

Bought. Though a classic - first listen.

Spineur

The Norman Granz albums posted on the listen thread proved too tempting.

I got this one at a very reasonable price

and at a less reasonable price for this set

Now I have to wait before I can dig in...

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just found this LP, Sarah Vaughan Linger Awhile (original 6 eyes, mint) yesterday:

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Turner on April 14, 2018, 09:45:48 AM
Bought. Though a classic - first listen.

You know, I've been listening to jazz for over thirty years and I still haven't heard it. :-[

TD:

[asin]B000MZGWT6[/asin]

Finally came across a used copy of this at a price I could live with ($65). The box itself is a little damaged (hence the lower price) but I can live with that.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

XB-70 Valkyrie

As a Garner fan, I think Concert by the Sea is the least interesting one I've heard. All of my Garner is on LP--my favorites include Gems (Columbia), Solitaire (Mercury), and The Greatest Garner (Atlantic).

That Braxton looks interesting. Let us know your thoughts.

king ubu

Quote from: Alek Hidell on April 29, 2018, 05:46:14 PM
You know, I've been listening to jazz for over thirty years and I still haven't heard it. :-[

You should change that, Garner's playing is really fabulous (and the late CT liked it, too).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

XB-70 Valkyrie

New (reissue) LP--Bill Evans Conversations with Myself:

Brian

Just tried again on the live 1965 2 CD set of Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, and the Earl Hines Trio. Last time I ordered it the seller canceled. Hope I get it this time, because that all-superstar lineup is irresistible.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2018, 01:59:53 PM
Just tried again on the live 1965 2 CD set of Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, and the Earl Hines Trio. Last time I ordered it the seller canceled. Hope I get it this time, because that all-superstar lineup is irresistible.

Good stuff, don't give up!  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

....ssshhhh....don't tell my girlfriend....

boxes/twofers
- Monk: The Big Riverside Box
- Complete Amazing Bud Powell (Vols. 1-5 box)
- Now + Salt and Pepper (Sonny Stitt + Hank Jones twofer on Impulse; Salt and Pepper also features Paul Gonsalves)

albums
- Bohemia After Dark (Kenny Clarke, Adderley brothers, Horace Silver, Hank Jones, etc.)
- Further Definitions (Benny Carter)
- Wonderland (Benny Carter, Lockjaw Davis, Sweets Edison, etc.)
- Jazz Giant (Benny Carter, Ben Webster, Andre Previn, etc.)
- Cannonball in Europe!
- Marsalis Standard Time, Vols. 2 and 3 (already have 1)
- Giants of Jazz Live in Berlin 1971 (Gillespie, Stitt, Winding, Monk, McKibbon, Blakey)
- Pisces (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Brian on July 08, 2018, 01:57:05 PM
....ssshhhh....don't tell my girlfriend....

I will pass along the advice I received many years ago when I was new to "high end audio" and was assembling a system (along with tons of LPs and CDs): Buy all you can before you get married.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just found this one (You're Hearing George Shearing) today --- too cute to pass up.

Brian

New order:

Back to Back (Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges)
Duke's Big 4 (with Pass, Brown, Bellson)
Earl Hines Plays George Gershwin
Swing Goes Dixie (Roy Eldridge sextet)
Finger Poppin' (Horace Silver)
Personal Appearance (Sonny Stitt, Bobby Timmons)
Plenty, Plenty Soul (Milt Jackson)
You Better Know It!!! (Lionel Hampton, Clark Terry, Ben Webster, Hank Jones)
Stitt Meets Brother Jack

edit:
also grabbed one of those Euro reissue boxes, this time a Spanish label's collection of the 1950s Buck Clayton big group jam sessions with folks like Joe Newman, Buddy Tate, Coleman Hawkins, Trummy Young, Sir Charles Thompson, and Woody Herman.

JBS

Missed these releases from earlier this year.  Remedied that just now off Amazon MP
[asin]B077ZCTV18[/asin]
[asin]B07D4ZP9K3[/asin]
Some of the Davis I have in uninspiring sonics.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk