Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

At one point I had the original LP box from 1973, but it got away from me during my days of touring.  They put out with a second edition in 2011.  Mainly, and probably due to criticism that the first box excluded "the new thing" artists and fusion, they added a sixth disc to "rectify" that error in judgment by the original producers. 

Jazz: The Smithsonian Anthology

QuoteFollowing requests for an update to Martin Williams's Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz (1973), Smithsonian Folkways began the process of selecting music for a new anthology in late 2004. Over fifty acknowledged experts reviewed a list of 2,500 potential tracks and agreed that the set should represent the development of jazz through the 20th century. By March 2005, the Folkways staff had compiled a 300-page document explaining the positive and negative aspects of each potential selection.

Smithsonian Folkways formed a second executive committee of five members in June of the same year. To keep the price low the committee reduced their choices to 110 songs on six CDs. In making their decision, committee members concentrated on the historical impact of the recordings and significance of the musicians, rather than the recordings' commercial success.

After years of deliberation, the committee finalized the selections for the anthology. The committee then contacted over 30 authors to write articles for the recordings which pertained to their areas of research. Smithsonian Folkways released the anthology on March 29, 2011.

Probably the best single boxset for a jazz historical survey.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I've been collecting these Miles MoFi issues on hybrid SACD and have been incredibly impressed with their fidelity thus far. I wager I won't be disappointed with Porgy and Bess.

Brian

Not a purchase, but I viewed some traditional jazz CDs (Don Ewell, Jack Teagarden type stuff) on Amazon and the "Related Items" sections were all full up with ambient sound CDs specifically designed to help people fall asleep.

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2019, 02:02:54 PM
Not a purchase, but I viewed some traditional jazz CDs (Don Ewell, Jack Teagarden type stuff) on Amazon and the "Related Items" sections were all full up with ambient sound CDs specifically designed to help people fall asleep.

Strange.  Most Trad Jazz is pretty lively and not something to induce sleepiness.  How was your trip to Nola?

Brian

Quote from: San Antone on February 13, 2019, 02:30:47 PM
Strange.  Most Trad Jazz is pretty lively and not something to induce sleepiness.  How was your trip to Nola?
It was good! Girlfriend ran the marathon, which kind of sent us to bed early several times. Between that and my friends not believing that Kermit Ruffins and Walter Wolfman Washington were real names belonging to real people I wanted to see, it was a bit of a washout.

But I still got to see some good acts - the very talented Monday night group at Fritzel's (including Don Ewell student John Royen, a remarkable channeler of that style), a group called The Palmetto Bug Stompers, bassist Roland Guerin, some street playing from brass bands, and a surprising set by the Preservation Hall group at the marathon finish line. Surprising because it focused primarily on more contemporary style, a majority of the tunes originals.

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2019, 06:14:20 PM
It was good! Girlfriend ran the marathon, which kind of sent us to bed early several times. Between that and my friends not believing that Kermit Ruffins and Walter Wolfman Washington were real names belonging to real people I wanted to see, it was a bit of a washout.

But I still got to see some good acts - the very talented Monday night group at Fritzel's (including Don Ewell student John Royen, a remarkable channeler of that style), a group called The Palmetto Bug Stompers, bassist Roland Guerin, some street playing from brass bands, and a surprising set by the Preservation Hall group at the marathon finish line. Surprising because it focused primarily on more contemporary style, a majority of the tunes originals.

LOL!  Sounds like fun.  Love the Palmetto Bug Stompers.  Yeah the street music scene is huge there.

JBS

The Stompers can be found on Youtube and Facebook...
Btw, y'all do know what palmetto bugs really are?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

San Antone

Quote from: JBS on February 13, 2019, 06:31:58 PM
The Stompers can be found on Youtube and Facebook...
Btw, y'all do know what palmetto bugs really are?

In Shreveport we called them water bugs - they look like giant flying roaches but are unrelated.  Water bugs live outside whereas roaches live indoors with you.

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on February 13, 2019, 06:36:29 PM
In Shreveport we called them water bugs - they look like giant flying roaches but are unrelated.  Water bugs live outside whereas roaches live indoors with you.

Here in Florida we don't usually bother with the distinction. Palmetto bug is the overall euphemism.

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on February 13, 2019, 06:38:52 PM
Here in Florida we don't usually bother with the distinction. Palmetto bug is the overall euphemism.

I was going to say I thought it was some kind of cockroach thing, but sadly my knowledge of Florida is mostly gleaned from the novels of Carl Hiaasen.

JBS

Quote from: NikF4 on February 13, 2019, 06:42:52 PM
I was going to say I thought it was some kind of cockroach thing, but sadly my knowledge of Florida is mostly gleaned from the novels of Carl Hiaasen.

Actually he's a good guide to Florida living...

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on February 13, 2019, 07:00:52 PM
Actually he's a good guide to Florida living...

Really? He certainly makes it sound interesting and even exotic.

JBS

Quote from: NikF4 on February 13, 2019, 07:04:17 PM
Really? He certainly makes it sound interesting and even exotic.

Exotic  I can't say. But "Florida man" is starting to be a cliche.

Hiassen claims that whenever he thinks up an improbable scenario for a novel, he invariably opens the paper the next day or so and discovers a news article describing that scenario happening in Florida for real...

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on February 13, 2019, 07:15:53 PM
Exotic  I can't say. But "Florida man" is starting to be a cliche.

Hiassen claims that whenever he thinks up an improbable scenario for a novel, he invariably opens the paper the next day or so and discovers a news article describing that scenario happening in Florida for real...

Hahaha  :laugh:

Brian

Quote from: San Antone on February 13, 2019, 06:17:39 PM
Yeah the street music scene is huge there.
The marathon hired a group of brass bands to play on different stages along the race course. And when I say "stages," I of course mean the backs of pickup trucks. We camped out next to a Tulane student band - not so good - but they were replaced at 8am with a true pro outfit. I'm not sure who they were, which is too bad, because they were great - black uniforms with white military-style hats with black brims. We thought it was a six-piece group - two trumpets, two trombones, sousaphone, snare drum - until a half-hour later, when a clearly hungover bass drummer turned up on the wrong side of the running course, waited for a gap between runners to dash up to the band with his bass drum, and then had to borrow a harness and a drumstick from the Tulane kids. The snare drummer gave him a hard time  ;D ;D

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just bought on eBay:

Bill Evans the Tokyo Concert on LP

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Brian

Just ordered from the Louisiana Music Factory:

Joe Krown, Walter "Wolfman" Washington, Russell Batiste Jr. - Live At The Maple Leaf   
Charlie Halloran & The Quality 6 - (self-titled album)
New Orleans Jazz Vipers - Live On Frenchman Street   
Tuba Skinny - Owl Call Blues   

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2019, 07:29:05 AM

Joe Krown, Walter "Wolfman" Washington, Russell Batiste Jr. - Live At The Maple Leaf   

Nice.  LMF is a good place to shop.  There's a Tom McDermott Scott Joplin CD I might get, and once I get going, I will probably see other stuff.

8)

Brian

Quote from: San Antone on March 24, 2019, 07:56:03 AM
Nice.  LMF is a good place to shop.  There's a Tom McDermott Scott Joplin CD I might get, and once I get going, I will probably see other stuff.

8)
Wow, the sound clips of that McDermott sound great! I should have posted here first because now I need to put in another order  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 24, 2019, 07:29:05 AM

When I was in New Orleans back in 2008 for a vacation, the Louisiana Music Factory was a store I frequented several times during the week. I became rather friendly with many of the staff members. I bought a good bit there: about 5-6 albums of Bud Powell I didn't own, several Duke Ellington's, and Horace Silver's In Pursuit of the 27th Man.