Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

I have purchased Arthur Doyle featuring the quiet screamers, one of favorite Jazz man so far, this 2019 release, is a credential  ancient live of pure undiluted genius, I stay riveted to my chair mesmerize by the whole music, very impressive I say, wow

Brian

Brian

Coronavirus supplies from ArkivJazz.com - mixed experience with them, I had a 15% off coupon which is nice, but the store selection seems quite limited and they didn't send a confirmation email for my order so I'm doing this from memory.

...and I think a couple others that I forgot.

Brian

They never sent a shipping confirmation email, but almost all the stuff in my post above arrived today. Three days is pretty good, especially considering our current circumstance and the total lack of communication from the company.

I forgot that I'd also ordered "Rockin' the Boat" (Jimmy Smith with Lou Donaldson). Wynton Marsalis' "Think of One" did NOT arrive in my box so presumably another is coming.

Brian

Just remembered the other CD I'd ordered from ArkivJazz: "Out Here," Christian McBride Trio. Even though the first box arrived super quickly, if they don't at least tell me when the other two CDs will ship, I probably won't order from them again. Their selection is also quite limited, although they do have about a dozen 80s rarities I want.

I also suspect that the Stitt Plays Bird disc is a burned CD-R so not sure what's up with that.

JBS

Did they charge your card for what they shipped? Does Informed Delivery show anything?

This may be like the mess they had last on the classical side of the operation. Shipped me CDs, but did not charge my card until well afterward, and the shipping confirmation email doesn't go until the credit card gets charged. [But they always sent me the order confirmations right away. It was only the shipping email that did not get sent.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

The undisclosed CD-R thing has been happening increasingly often in jazz CD land. I haven't been nailed yet.
Many buyers demand their money back. Given what you've said about the seller, it's unclear how (if?) they'd respond.

Brian

Looks like they billed me for the full total, but now Think of One shows as backordered and Out Here as low stock. Maybe when I bought Think of One, they'd run out but didn't know it. Or, uh, something.

I actually often don't mind the CD-R thing because jazz, unlike classical music, has a scant reissue/remastering history. There are hundreds of great albums that were on CD in 1985 or whatever, and never printed again. I wish that some of the big labels would do mega box sets like in classical - Sony has done some but imagine, say, a complete Swingville box set - anyways, until that happens, I'll buy whatever copy exists. Or listen on YouTube.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2020, 12:08:48 PM
Looks like they billed me for the full total, but now Think of One shows as backordered and Out Here as low stock. Maybe when I bought Think of One, they'd run out but didn't know it. Or, uh, something.

I actually often don't mind the CD-R thing because jazz, unlike classical music, has a scant reissue/remastering history. There are hundreds of great albums that were on CD in 1985 or whatever, and never printed again. I wish that some of the big labels would do mega box sets like in classical - Sony has done some but imagine, say, a complete Swingville box set - anyways, until that happens, I'll buy whatever copy exists. Or listen on YouTube.

Theoretically, your copy of Think of One might have been the last one.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on April 14, 2020, 12:14:01 PM
Theoretically, your copy of Think of One might have been the last one.
Could be! They should put a "Last one!" sticker on it when they mail it...if they mail it.

-

Louisiana Music Factory order this time.

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2020, 02:07:44 PM
Louisiana Music Factory order this time.

Love LMF!  After seeing your post I went to the site and saw this one:

Modern Brass Bands 1990-2005 (3-CD Set)

It 's on Spotify, so I'm listening to it and enjoying it a lot.  All of the bands are on Spotify so I can also listen to the entire recordings from which the tracks were taken to create the 3CD set.

Thanks for the reminder of this great resource.

8)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 12, 2020, 05:54:20 PM
Just remembered the other CD I'd ordered from ArkivJazz: "Out Here," Christian McBride Trio. Even though the first box arrived super quickly, if they don't at least tell me when the other two CDs will ship, I probably won't order from them again. Their selection is also quite limited, although they do have about a dozen 80s rarities I want.

I also suspect that the Stitt Plays Bird disc is a burned CD-R so not sure what's up with that.
McBride's "Out Here" arrived today. Looks fun.

Started playing some of the stuff from my LMF package (Wendell Brunious' "In the Tradition") and scouting out another order. Let me know if you see anything irresistible there, San Antone.

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2020, 01:54:57 PM
McBride's "Out Here" arrived today. Looks fun.

Started playing some of the stuff from my LMF package (Wendell Brunious' "In the Tradition") and scouting out another order. Let me know if you see anything irresistible there, San Antone.

I'd recommend this if it wasn't only available as a vinyl Lp: Jon Batiste – Chronology Of A Dream / Live At The Village Vanguard  But maybe it's available as a CD as well. I listened on Spotify and it's really good.

Also this one, Leyla McCalla – Capitalist Blues

This looks especially good, Tom McDermott is usually reliable: Tom McDermott & Aurora Nealand – Live at Luthjen's

Some more:
Evan Christopher & Fapy Lafertin – A Summit in Paris
Kenneth Hagans – Plays Traditional New Orleans Music

This looks to be an excellent compilation of early New Orleans Jazz: This is New Orleans Jazz (3-CD Set)

Nicolas Payton is also a very reliable artist:  Nicholas Payton – Relaxin' With Nick (2-CD Set)  The production is really nice, a real natural acoustic - of course, some great blowing by this group.  It's not all jazz, and includes some funk.  Dunno if that nixes it for you.

I've been touting this recently, just fantastic: Wynton Marsalis – Bolden: Music from the Original Soundtrack

Well, I could probably find many more, that site is the bomb.

8)

Brian

Thank you San Antone! Hopefully I can resist for at least a few more days before posting some of those in my next purchase!

Brian

A couple third-party sellers off Amazon Marketplace...

Old San Antone

Quote from: Brian on April 22, 2020, 08:11:30 AM
Thank you San Antone! Hopefully I can resist for at least a few more days before posting some of those in my next purchase!

Since I posted those recs, I've had a chance to listen more closely to the Leyla McCalla – Capitalist Blues, and was disappointed - see more comments in the jazz listening thread.

Brian

Going overboard... Not posting pictures because I have to order and type on my phone, my laptop sadly being busted  :(

"Five Original Albums" space saver boxes of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Grant Green (these are official Blue Note releases not bootlegs)

- Shelly Manne Live at the Black Hawk (complete box)
- Encounter (Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, etc)
- Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges
- Bags & Trane
- Ballads & Blues (again with Bags)
- an off brand twofer of Bags' albums Statements and Vibrations feat. Hank Jones and others
- Night Train (Oscar Peterson)
- The Jazztet and John Lewis
- Only the Blues (Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson trio)
- Out of the Forrest (Jimmy Forrest)
- The Thumper (Jimmy Heath)
- The Sermon (Jimmy Smith)
- Sammy Rimington Quintet
- Screamin' (Jack McDuff)
- Screamin' the Blues (Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy)
- Tenor Giants (Zoot Sims, Eddie Davis, Oscar Peterson)
- George Shearing & Cannonball Adderley Quintets at Newport
- Norman Granz' "Greatest Concerts" set on Pablo

That should keep me busy for the rest of 2020.

T. D.

Had to go to "the big city" a little over an hour away on business. Took the opportunity to visit my favorite brick/mortar store, well, actually the only CD/used CD/vinyl/book shop I know of within a reasonable distance. They had a lot of good mdse, but I only had a few minutes. Picked up 3 somewhat oddball but interesting used discs:

Old San Antone

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2020, 08:01:08 PM
Going overboard... Not posting pictures because I have to order and type on my phone, my laptop sadly being busted  :(

"Five Original Albums" space saver boxes of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Grant Green (these are official Blue Note releases not bootlegs)

- Shelly Manne Live at the Black Hawk (complete box)
- Encounter (Pepper Adams, Zoot Sims, etc)
- Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges
- Bags & Trane
- Ballads & Blues (again with Bags)
- an off brand twofer of Bags' albums Statements and Vibrations feat. Hank Jones and others
- Night Train (Oscar Peterson)
- The Jazztet and John Lewis
- Only the Blues (Sonny Stitt, Roy Eldridge, Oscar Peterson trio)
- Out of the Forrest (Jimmy Forrest)
- The Thumper (Jimmy Heath)
- The Sermon (Jimmy Smith)
- Sammy Rimington Quintet
- Screamin' (Jack McDuff)
- Screamin' the Blues (Oliver Nelson and Eric Dolphy)
- Tenor Giants (Zoot Sims, Eddie Davis, Oscar Peterson)
- George Shearing & Cannonball Adderley Quintets at Newport
- Norman Granz' "Greatest Concerts" set on Pablo

That should keep me busy for the rest of 2020.

The two I've bolded are the ones I've listened to the most, although Bags & Trane is riddled with distortion because of flawed engineering.  Gerry Mulligan made several of these "Meets" records, my favorite is with Ben Webster and he also did an excellent one "Meets Monk." 

You invested in some really good stuff.

8)

Carlo Gesualdo

Skronk is part of Jazz  first  experimentation afro american than later on Japanese that would mold heavy jazz skronk and metallic not metal sound

Here my idea my SKRONK/SLUDGE /NOISE IS CLOSER TO FREE JAZZ FAR END THAN METAL OR ROCK.

Listen to these tracks , I'm not a liar this reek free-jazz destroy mode ala Japanese  new jazz that not metal but metallic sounding , false metal that Jazz skronk.

Ask a black Man african American
if it shredded, skronky free jazz or a Japanese Avant-garde Jazz players a specific band that does sssucch a thing, arrigato beaucoup, sayonara

https://erebus3.bandcamp.com/album/catatonic-caustic-causal-skronk-pure-therein-of-sludge-noise-rolls

This album was aim at Japanese market, Im still not release I want a vinyls release limited edition cool and CD edition containing tthe rest of the odd balls album.

The money would go 10% for me 40 % mental health charity or advancement 50% for producer whom can put this music on actual Physical CD OR LP on Japanese label of oddity jazz under my partner label  Noisy hell production.Seem fair play!
https://erebus3.bandcamp.com/album/skronk-rolls

SKRONK-jAZZ/SLUDGE/NOISE