Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Merry Christmas, Connor!

Just purchased and bedtime listening:
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Mirror Image

Larry Coryell and Bill Frisell on the same recording? That's an interesting line-up. What's the music like, Henk?

Green Destiny

Bought these 2 new Jazz albums:

I was thinking of getting some more Brubeck but I figured I have enough for the time being after all :)

king ubu

jazz delivery from japan yesterday:

[asin]B010EB1GHK[/asin]
[asin]B010EB1IDW[/asin]
[asin]B00MNPBBVM[/asin]
[asin]B00MNPBFOK[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Elgarian

This is my first purchase following from advice received in my 'What next? thread. (While I'm a bit  wary of the audio quality of a collection like this, an awful lot of my jazz listening has involved transfers from 78s, so I'm used to my jazz not being very hifi. So I think that won't be a big issue)

Footnote, begun less than 5 minutes later: Just as I clicked to post the above, there was a clunk downstairs. It was the arrival of the Peterson box. Synchronicity or what!!?

By the way, it is a very red box. It contains a very red booklet and very red CD sleeves. If you like red, this is for you ....

Second footnote: Listening to track 14, in the Irving Berlin half of CD1 - 'Isn't it a lovely day', on headphones via computer - admittedly nothing like so good as my hifi system, but based on what I'm hearing now, I don't think the audio quality is likely to trouble me.

I may as well chat as I listen - tracks playing one after another. What I like about this is the fact that he so clearly loves the tunes (and let's face it, they are absolutely crackin' tunes). So the improvisation sounds like a celebration of that tunefulness - as opposed to an abandonment of it. That is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for.

Karl Henning

Glad that was a good fit, Alan!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2015, 04:04:02 AM
Glad that was a good fit, Alan!

Isn't it a lovely day (for a walk in the rain - particularly apt here in the heart of the most recent of the battery of UK storms)?

Karl Henning

Yesterday we had a day which could not quite decide between sleet and freezing drizzle.  Late afternoon, the precipitation stopped for a while, and I did get out for a walk, and it really was lovely—though I certainly needed to watch my footing.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on December 30, 2015, 06:38:30 AM
Yesterday we had a day which could not quite decide between sleet and freezing drizzle.  Late afternoon, the precipitation stopped for a while, and I did get out for a walk, and it really was lovely—though I certainly needed to watch my footing.

A good day for listening to some Cool Jazz, Karl.

[Thinks: why do I let myself make such feeble jokes??]

Green Destiny

Latest purchase:

Bill Evans & Jim Hall - Undercurrent

Artem

That is one of my favorite jazz disks. Amazing interplay between the two musicians.

Green Destiny

Quote from: Artem on January 04, 2016, 06:47:45 PM
That is one of my favorite jazz disks. Amazing interplay between the two musicians.

Thanks Artem - I liked the samples I heard of the Disc so really looking forward to it :)

Thread Duty:

I got a 5 Disc set of Coltranes Atlantic recordings and love it - looking forward to hearing his Prestige recordings with this set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 04, 2016, 04:53:08 PM
Latest purchase:

Bill Evans & Jim Hall - Undercurrent

Definitely a beauty. If you like Jim Hall, and these kinds of duo recordings, then check out the album Hall made with Ron Carter titled Alone Together.

[asin]B000000YQ3[/asin]

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 06, 2016, 06:53:17 AM
Definitely a beauty. If you like Jim Hall, and these kinds of duo recordings, then check out the album Hall made with Ron Carter titled Alone Together.

[asin]B000000YQ3[/asin]

Yeah I do really like Jim Hall - thanks that one looks nice.
Maybe I will pick it up in future :)

Artem

Oh, yes, that one is essential too. Ron Carter is amazing on it.

Brian

Bumping this because king ubu said in Classical Purchases that he bought "20,000" jazz CDs and we need to see some of them!

Brian

Quote from: Elgarian on December 30, 2015, 02:22:15 AM
Footnote, begun less than 5 minutes later: Just as I clicked to post the above, there was a clunk downstairs. It was the arrival of the Peterson box. Synchronicity or what!!?

By the way, it is a very red box. It contains a very red booklet and very red CD sleeves. If you like red, this is for you ....

Second footnote: Listening to track 14, in the Irving Berlin half of CD1 - 'Isn't it a lovely day', on headphones via computer - admittedly nothing like so good as my hifi system, but based on what I'm hearing now, I don't think the audio quality is likely to trouble me.

I may as well chat as I listen - tracks playing one after another. What I like about this is the fact that he so clearly loves the tunes (and let's face it, they are absolutely crackin' tunes). So the improvisation sounds like a celebration of that tunefulness - as opposed to an abandonment of it. That is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for.
This made me awfully happy. Glad he is working for you so well. There's a wealth of riches to be explored with OP, including his trio's great collaborations with celebrated "guest" musicians.

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2016, 04:51:31 AM
This made me awfully happy. Glad he is working for you so well. There's a wealth of riches to be explored with OP, including his trio's great collaborations with celebrated "guest" musicians.

My list of indebtednesses to you grows steadily, Brian.

One offshoot from all this is that when I've become more familiar with him through this box, it will be fascinating to go back to the Anita O'Day album she made with him. I suspect I shall be able to listen with different ears.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on January 08, 2016, 05:04:37 AM
My list of indebtednesses to you grows steadily, Brian.

One offshoot from all this is that when I've become more familiar with him through this box, it will be fascinating to go back to the Anita O'Day album she made with him. I suspect I shall be able to listen with different ears.

Aren't Music and GMG wonderful?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 08, 2016, 05:14:48 AM
Aren't Music and GMG wonderful?

You have it nailed there, Karl.