Jazz Purchases

Started by Bogey, May 23, 2015, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2016, 04:43:03 AM
Thank you very much for those recs! I'm sure I will collect them all.

BTW an Amazon reviewer guided me to that Massey Hall edition - apparently it presents the full concert in track order without Mingus's dubbed-in bass from later. Who knows...probably eventually I will get one with the Mingus overdubbing, to compare  ;D

Oh, I see! Guess it might have been a smart buy then! Not sure, as I gave in eventually and bought the huge Mingus Debut box (12 CDs, it wasn't as expensive as it is now, while it was still in print - there's a smaller Universal Italy one now, which only contains the Mingus *albums*, not all the sideman sessions and stuff, here: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00C86KL6M/) - anyway, Mingus is one of my biggest musical heroes so I just had to get the box eventually ... and it contains the entire concert (trio and quintet sets), including the undubbed and dubbed versions for all those tracks where Mingus added new bass lines later on. So I really wouldn't know what single disc edition would cover that.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on January 25, 2016, 04:58:53 AM
Oh, I see! Guess it might have been a smart buy then! Not sure, as I gave in eventually and bought the huge Mingus Debut box (12 CDs, it wasn't as expensive as it is now, while it was still in print - there's a smaller Universal Italy one now, which only contains the Mingus *albums*, not all the sideman sessions and stuff, here: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00C86KL6M/) - anyway, Mingus is one of my biggest musical heroes so I just had to get the box eventually ... and it contains the entire concert (trio and quintet sets), including the undubbed and dubbed versions for all those tracks where Mingus added new bass lines later on. So I really wouldn't know what single disc edition would cover that.
Thank you for linking that box! Mingus is one of my biggest heroes too.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on January 31, 2016, 03:32:31 PM
Thank you for linking that box! Mingus is one of my biggest heroes too.

It's of course the *leader* sessions, not the *albums* - I actually remembered my mistake but then failed to fix it ... either way, lots of music there, some of it more successful than other bits, some pretty odd, but if you like Mingus, all very much worth exploring! I'm afraid though it might come with a minimal booklet (tracklistings, line-ups, recording data) - which is really a drag in this case, as the big Debut box domes with an LP-sized booklet and session-by-session comments etc, and for such at least partly obscure and odd material, that's quite a help.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Just purchased:

- Monk: Complete Prestige Recordings
- Cannonball Adderley Sextet: Complete Live in Tokyo 1963
- Jazz Messengers: Live at the Club Saint Germain 1958 (lineup with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt, Art Blakey, and guest drummer Kenny Clarke)

Henk

KU, second one is Swiss. You know the artist and album?

Both albums released this year.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

king ubu

No, don't know Merki well I'm afraid. I read about the new album - might try and sample it in a shop.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Green Destiny

Quote from: Brian on February 03, 2016, 12:22:22 PM
Just purchased:
- Jazz Messengers: Live at the Club Saint Germain 1958 (lineup with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt, Art Blakey, and guest drummer Kenny Clarke)

This one is brilliant - you will enjoy I'm sure!

Autumn Leaves

I ordered a copy of this album a few weeks ago but it got lost :(
I complained to Amazon and they are sending me out a new copy:

[asin]http://B000056KDB[/asin]

Im feeling that my collection is pretty much complete in a few areas, Jazz being one of them.
I know no one believes me but I plan not to buy any new Jazz recordings for a while :)

Bogey

Quote from: Autumn Leaves on February 13, 2016, 08:45:31 PM
I ordered a copy of this album a few weeks ago but it got lost :(
I complained to Amazon and they are sending me out a new copy:

[asin]http://B000056KDB[/asin]

Im feeling that my collection is pretty much complete in a few areas, Jazz being one of them.
I know no one believes me but I plan not to buy any new Jazz recordings for a while :)

The story behind Take 5 on this recording is fascinating.  I'll try to find the interview about it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

king ubu

Where did Green Destiny go?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on February 14, 2016, 07:24:34 AM

Conor has been extremely flaky over the past year or so. I don't know what's got into him. :-\

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on February 14, 2016, 07:24:34 AM

Isn't his new name Autumn Leaves.  Still the same Retro Hound in my book, though! :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on February 14, 2016, 08:26:06 AM
Isn't his new name Autumn Leaves.  Still the same Retro Hound in my book, though! :)

So he has. I don't really understand the need to change user names and delete a previous existing account.

king ubu

Oh I see - not here long enough to get these things ... (maybe that's the plan, but I find it odd, too)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Conor is a "styler".  I do not mind the name change.  Just one look at his posts and you can tell it has his jazz fingerprints all over it.   8)

Autumn Leaves

Hey guys - yes its just me (Conor) again.
I guess I come and go a lot the last few years - the main reason is that I haven't really been listening to much Classical Music (and sometimes it seems like I wont be listening to it again in the near future) so I feel a bit embaressed or like im wearing out my welcome here or something :-[.
Anyway I really like this forum and most everyone here so I don't stay away too long - I kind of like changing my username and stuff too for something different.
Theres lots of Music forums on the net and I have checked out many of them but this (and SHF) are the only ones I feel comfortable in - the others are all like cesspools of humanity or something :-X. I don't mean to be harsh but this Forum has a much better demographic than most others out there.
I've been on this forum since 2009 so I am pretty much here for good I think - even if I go away for a while its likely I will be back eventually.
I still really love Classical Muisc too - just a bit interested in other Musics at the moment but I think Ill get back into it at some stage :)

Henk

Quote from: Autumn Leaves on February 14, 2016, 11:34:52 AM
Hey guys - yes its just me (Conor) again.
I guess I come and go a lot the last few years - the main reason is that I haven't really been listening to much Classical Music lately so I feel a bit embaressed or like im wearing out my welcome here or something :-[.
Anyway I really like this forum and most everyone here so I don't stay away too long - I kind of like changing my username and stuff too for a bit of a change.
I've been on this forum since 2009 so I am pretty much here for good I think - even if I go away for a while its likely I will be back eventually.
I still really love Classical Muisc too - just a bit interested in other Musics at the moment but Ill get back into it at some stage :)

I appreciate your presence much, Conor. I myself also am active more the one time than the other. Always lurking a bit however. No need to listen to classical music, because we have The Jazz Lounge, don't we! :)
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Henk on February 14, 2016, 11:52:47 AM
I appreciate your presence much, Conor. I myself also am active more the one time than the other. Always lurking a bit however. No need to listen to classical music, because we have The Jazz Lounge, don't we! :)

Thanks Henk I really appreciate you saying that - yeah the Jazz Lounge rules! (its become one of my favourite areas of the forum) :)

Bogey

We need to keep building it up.  Show folks that have not visited GMG that this a Jazz place to hit.  My classical listening has fallen off as well, but no better folks than those here to chat any music with.

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Bogey on February 14, 2016, 12:18:36 PM
We need to keep building it up.  Show folks that have not visited GMG that this a Jazz place to hit.  My classical listening has fallen off as well, but no better folks than those here to chat any music with.

I agree, it would be great to get more traffic here. There must be a pretty high proportion of people on this board who listen to Jazz as well - if only there was a way to encourage them to post here sometimes?.
I would be really interested to see what people are listening to at least - Im sure Im not speaking just for myself in saying everyone is welcome here :)