Henk

1. Dizzy Gillespie
2. Sonny Rollins
3. Miles Davis

XB-70 Valkyrie

John Coltrane
Joe Pass
Errol Garner

Ask me tomorrow, and you'll probably get a different three  8)
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NorthNYMark

Cecil Taylor
John Coltrane
Miles Davis

(Honorable mention to Andrew Hill, Sam Rivers, and William Parker).

escher

Andrew Hill
Wayne Shorter
Sun Ra

Brian

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 25, 2015, 12:33:08 PM
Ask me tomorrow, and you'll probably get a different three  8)

This!

and maybe these:

Thelonious Monk
Charles Mingus
The Jazz Messengers

ZauberdrachenNr.7

1.) Bill Evans
2.) Miles Davis
3.) Wes Montgomery

Mirror Image

In on particular order:

Bill Evans
Miles Davis
Clifford Brown

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2015, 12:39:57 PM
The Jazz Messengers

I don't think this counts does it? The Jazz Messengers were a band and not an individual artist. I'll accept Blakey here instead. :)

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2015, 01:12:42 PM
I don't think this counts does it? The Jazz Messengers were a band and not an individual artist. I'll accept Blakey here instead. :)
I'd say they count as an "artist" just as much as, say, the Philadelphia Orchestra or the Emerson Quartet ;)

Sergeant Rock

Chet Baker
Charlie "Bird" Parker
Dave Brubeck

and

Julie London

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dancing Divertimentian

Ahmad Jamal
Charles Mingus
Stockton Helbing

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

San Antone

Quote from: escher on May 25, 2015, 12:36:43 PM
Andrew Hill
Wayne Shorter
Sun Ra

Good choices although not my top three - would be top ten.

TD

Miles
Monk
Coltrane

Ken B

Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman. As a concept, Keith Jarrett.

escher

Ken B

I admire Jarrett's branching out into classical. I like some of his stuff a lot. The Köln concert in particular. I'd like on that basis to claim him as a favourite. I'm not convinced I can. He often disappoints. But as a concept Keith Jarrett is A number one stuff.

NJ Joe

Miles Davis
Charles Mingus
John Coltrane
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: Ken B on May 26, 2015, 02:41:11 PM
I admire Jarrett's branching out into classical. I like some of his stuff a lot. The Köln concert in particular. I'd like on that basis to claim him as a favourite. I'm not convinced I can. He often disappoints. But as a concept Keith Jarrett is A number one stuff.

The concept of this album makes it, for me, a desert island disc. Have you heard it, Ken?

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Ken B

Quote from: NJ Joe on May 26, 2015, 03:49:19 PM
The concept of this album makes it, for me, a desert island disc. Have you heard it, Ken?

No, but I will seek it out. Thanks.

San Antone

Jarrett's American Quartet (Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman, Paul Motian) is excellent.  The music they made in the '70s is the best stuff he has done, IMO.  The Trio recordings are good, the Live at the Blue Note is probably my favorite document of this band.  The European Quartet is also good.  But, the American group is something else.

He can play.

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you like the concept but not the execution of Keith Jarrett, I would highly recommend Horace Tapscott. I do like Keith Jarret as a person and I like his ideas, but honestly much of his output bores me--I think there is about five minutes of good music on The Köln Concert

. I highly recommend the eight volume Tapscott Sessions on Nimbus.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/the-tapscott-sessions--volumes-1-8-by-frank-rubolino.php
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff