Chopin Nocturnes in best possible audio quality

Started by zenpmd, May 26, 2015, 12:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenpmd

I bought Nelson Freire and while I like the playing there is too much background hiss for a modern recording. If I want audiophile perfection, what do I shoot for?

Thanks!

Todd

Probably Kazune Shimizu or Masako Ezaki on Triton.  I've not heard either, but everything I've heard from Triton is in SOTA sound.

Of the sets I have heard, Yukio Yokoyama on Sony is probably in the best sound.  Of course, I have no issues with the Freire set, so I'm not exactly sure what it is you are listening for.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

How about Maria Tipo's set on EMI? 1994, DDD.

Performance-wise, I don't like Freire's nocturnes at all. And I have tried numerous times to get into them. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

Aldo Ciccolini on Cascavelle is nicely recorded, to best of my recollection.

George

Quote from: Draško on May 27, 2015, 04:35:28 AM
Aldo Ciccolini on Cascavelle is nicely recorded, to best of my recollection.

Agreed. Nice performances, too. Unfortunately, it appears to be out of print. 

Mandryka

Quote from: zenpmd on May 26, 2015, 12:55:17 PM
I bought Nelson Freire and while I like the playing there is too much background hiss for a modern recording. If I want audiophile perfection, what do I shoot for?

Thanks!

Well there's more to a good recording than absence of hiss. Try Moravec. On my hifi - Quad valve amp and electrostatics, some American DA converter that cost an arm and a leg -  it sounds well balanced, truthful.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on May 27, 2015, 08:20:39 AM
Well there's more to a good recording that absence of hiss. Try Moravec. On my hifi - Quad valve amp and electrostatics, some American DA converter that cost an arm and a leg -  it sounds well balanced, truthful.

I think Arrau's sound and performance are better.

Oldnslow

I'd opt for the classic Morevec performances from the 60s, on the Supraphon remastered cds.

Pat B

Now I am very curious to hear the Freire: I want to know what background hiss in a 2010 recording sounds like.

San Antone

Quote from: Pat B on May 27, 2015, 11:06:49 AM
Now I am very curious to hear the Freire: I want to know what background hiss in a 2010 recording sounds like.

Jed Distler for Classics Today had this to say:

Artistic Quality: 10
Sound Quality: 10

QuoteDecca's warm, well-balanced engineering perfectly suits Freire's interpretations, and the label's two-for-one price may be enticement enough for some music lovers. Even if you already own a Nocturnes cycle, try to spend some quality time with Freire. - See more at: http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-15390/#sthash.do5EweiV.dpuf

North Star

Quote from: zenpmd on May 26, 2015, 12:55:17 PM

Thanks!
If you want less hiss, I'd shoot the snake. The sound of the Freire is more than fine to me.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Quote from: Pat B on May 27, 2015, 11:06:49 AM

I cannot recall hearing any hiss.  Occasionally, with some smaller label recordings, I will hear some low-level hiss in even new-ish recordings, indicating the use of analog somewhere in the chain, but it is rare, and I can't recall hearing hiss in any Decca recording recorded after about 1980.  The sound for the Freire Nocturnes is superb.  (The performances are flawless in their own way, but they don't float my boat.)  Slightly better sound is available based on my experience. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Maybe the OP was listening to poor mp3, there is no hiss on the CD or on the spotify stream that I can hear.

This is a bad way to find out you've got a problem with your playback equipment.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pat B

Quote from: Todd on May 27, 2015, 11:27:57 AM
I cannot recall hearing any hiss.  Occasionally, with some smaller label recordings, I will hear some low-level hiss in even new-ish recordings, indicating the use of analog somewhere in the chain, but it is rare, and I can't recall hearing hiss in any Decca recording recorded after about 1980.  The sound for the Freire Nocturnes is superb.  (The performances are flawless in their own way, but they don't float my boat.)  Slightly better sound is available based on my experience.

I appreciate this response, even though my post was largely tongue-in-cheek. Hiss is very low on the list of things I care about. I don't think I've ever noticed it in a digital recording. Even on older recordings where it's plainly audible, my ears usually adjust after a few seconds.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Get yourself a decent turntable, arm, and cartridge and buy a clean copy of the Maryla Jonas LPs on Columbia (ca late 1940s - early 1950s!!). You will be amazed at how natural and present these old monos sound. Then, in addition to incredible sound quality you'll also have some of the best performances these works have ever enjoyed.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

George

Quote from: Pat B on May 27, 2015, 02:04:14 PM
I appreciate this response, even though my post was largely tongue-in-cheek. Hiss is very low on the list of things I care about. I don't think I've ever noticed it in a digital recording. Even on older recordings where it's plainly audible, my ears usually adjust after a few seconds.

Yes, my ears adjust remarkably quick to hiss.

My understanding is that the hiss is due to the analog tape, and that with digital recordings there should be no hiss at all.

audiophiler

Arguably, Daniel Barenboim / Maria-Joao-Pires / Maurizio Pollini