Beethoven Violin Sonatas

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 11, 2007, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Quote from: Jo498 on November 08, 2021, 11:27:44 PM
FWIW there was a 3 CD box of all the sonatas with Francescatti/Casadesus from Sony France 2001 and they are all in stereo. As 2-8 were all recorded 1961 it should be strange to have two of them not in stereo? Or is this an alternative recording of sonatas 5+6?

Let me double check this, there was some discussion on this on another classical board and I thought I expanded on what the differences were.

I only have this partially ripped one of my work PCs and the sound quality is exceptional (tons of tape hiss, great vibrancy in both instruments) but this is without doing a direct comparison.

Jo498

I only have that Sony France 3 disc set but I could check if it is stereo. Per the recording dates it would be very strange to have differences as even the three sonatas recorded earlier (1, 9, 10 in 1958) are supposedly stereo.
But there are certainly some alternate recordings as there is a newer Beethoven set with no less than 7 discs and doublings:

[asin]B082BX12PQ[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 08:16:29 AM
Any fans here of Ilina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghian?  I have their first two releases and enjoy them.

PD

As stated before, I own the 10 discs of Ibragimova & Tiberghian performing Mozart's Violin Sonatas, which are excellent, IMO (and in the attached reviews) - so, put together a Spotify playlist of their 3 Beethoven discs and their playing is equally enjoyable, however, their is applause after each sonata is completed which dissuades me from a purchase (just me disliking audience participation); but reviews are attached for those interested.

P.S. a weird occurrence on Spotify - when I play V. 2 by itself, all is fine (first pic below), but when added to the other 2 volumes in a playlist - all songs on the second volume are duets w/ a pianist and female singer (contralto?) (second pic - note titles and time differences) - will leave them an email! 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 09, 2021, 07:44:34 AM
As stated before, I own the 10 discs of Ibragimova & Tiberghian performing Mozart's Violin Sonatas, which are excellent, IMO (and in the attached reviews) - so, put together a Spotify playlist of their 3 Beethoven discs and their playing is equally enjoyable, however, their is applause after each sonata is completed which dissuades me from a purchase (just me disliking audience participation); but reviews are attached for those interested.
Sorry that they didn't work for you.  Most of the time, applause isn't an issue for me (at least in terms of recordings though as I mentioned earlier, I wish folks wouldn't feel the need to jump in so quickly with it at the end of a work).  Do you ever listen to opera broadcasts or live recordings of them?  That happens often after a special aria/duet/etc.

I'll have to keep an eye out for their Mozart.  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2021, 08:00:12 AM
Sorry that they didn't work for you.  Most of the time, applause isn't an issue for me (at least in terms of recordings though as I mentioned earlier, I wish folks wouldn't feel the need to jump in so quickly with it at the end of a work).  Do you ever listen to opera broadcasts or live recordings of them?  That happens often after a special aria/duet/etc.

I'll have to keep an eye out for their Mozart.  :)

PD

Hi PD - wife and I are not opera fans - did own one disc of Mozart Overtures which has disappeared?  8)  I was brought up in Toledo, Ohio and my father was a BIG Opera/Mario Lanza fan; the Toledo Art Museum had an opera season (national touring company(ies)), and he dragged me to dozens, so my dislike goes back decades - although I do occasionally watch Lanza movies -   ;D

BTW, the current 'best deal' on the Mozart set is at BRO - each of the 5 double-discs in single jewel boxes going for $9 - i.e. w/ shipping only $5/disc.  If not already done, take a look at the link.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 09, 2021, 08:24:11 AM
Hi PD - wife and I are not opera fans - did own one disc of Mozart Overtures which has disappeared?  8)  I was brought up in Toledo, Ohio and my father was a BIG Opera/Mario Lanza fan; the Toledo Art Museum had an opera season (national touring company(ies)), and he dragged me to dozens, so my dislike goes back decades - although I do occasionally watch Lanza movies -   ;D

BTW, the current 'best deal' on the Mozart set is at BRO - each of the 5 double-discs in single jewel boxes going for $9 - i.e. w/ shipping only $5/disc.  If not already done, take a look at the link.  Dave :)
Thanks for the tip!

Guess what LP I have (courtesy of parents)?  Used to listen to it growing up.  This will give you a hint.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2021, 08:32:35 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Guess what LP I have (courtesy of parents)?  Used to listen to it growing up.  This will give you a hint.   :)

PD

LOL -  ;D  Lanza did have a great voice, and could easily do opera arias or popular songs (I usually dislike opera singers trying to sing American standards, but just me) - below are the Lanza movies - believe I've seen most of them and have a handful burned to DVD-R, which I'll pull out to watch on occasion - in fact, I've been getting rid of some of my DVDs by buying their Amazon Prime Video HD equivalents (if the price is cheap) - going to check right now to see if any Mario in HD might be there?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: when Lanza died suddenly at only 38 years in 1959, but father was devastated - we had moved over the Ohio state line to lower Michigan (lived next to a golf course that was in each state) - he played his Mario LPs every night for a week!  ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 09, 2021, 08:47:45 AM
LOL -  ;D  Lanza did have a great voice, and could easily do opera arias or popular songs (I usually dislike opera singers trying to sing American standards, but just me) - below are the Lanza movies - believe I've seen most of them and have a handful burned to DVD-R, which I'll pull out to watch on occasion - in fact, I've been getting rid of some of my DVDs by buying their Amazon Prime Video HD equivalents (if the price is cheap) - going to check right now to see if any Mario in HD might be there?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: when Lanza died suddenly at only 38 years in 1959, but father was devastated - we had moved over the Ohio state line to lower Michigan (lived next to a golf course that was in each state) - he played his Mario LPs every night for a week!  ???
Oh, how sad!  :(

Well, my memory was playing tricks on me; I had thought that I had the cast LP album of South Pacific and that Lanza was on it!  I was confusing him with Ezio Pinza.   :-[  I do have him on a LP (which I found used at a thrift store) in The Student Prince.  I've probably seen him on t.v. in the movies in the past.

TD, So are you thinking of picking up any other Beethoven sonata CDs...hmmm?
:)
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2021, 10:00:07 AM
Oh, how sad!  :(

Well, my memory was playing tricks on me; I had thought that I had the cast LP album of South Pacific and that Lanza was on it!  I was confusing him with Ezio Pinza.   :-[  I do have him on a LP (which I found used at a thrift store) in The Student Prince.  I've probably seen him on t.v. in the movies in the past.

TD, So are you thinking of picking up any other Beethoven sonata CDs...hmmm?
:)
PD

Well, the Ilina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghian recordings piqued my interest until I heard the clapping (I'd likely never play the discs) - I've been culling these out for decades (just too many good old and new sets) - at present, I have the 3 below, two on a modern piano and one set on fortepiano - think that I'm a happy camper, unless?  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 09, 2021, 10:23:50 AM
Well, the Ilina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghian recordings piqued my interest until I heard the clapping (I'd likely never play the discs) - I've been culling these out for decades (just too many good old and new sets) - at present, I have the 3 below, two on a modern piano and one set on fortepiano - think that I'm a happy camper, unless?  Dave :)

Don't know any of those artists/recordings.  Will have to try a bit of googling later.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Holden

Quote from: Jo498 on November 08, 2021, 11:27:44 PM
FWIW there was a 3 CD box of all the sonatas with Francescatti/Casadesus from Sony France 2001 and they are all in stereo. As 2-8 were all recorded 1961 it should be strange to have two of them not in stereo? Or is this an alternative recording of sonatas 5+6?

I'm not at home so I can't check but I'm sure I've got a couple of mono recordings. It wasn't on the Sony label.
Cheers

Holden

Daverz

Quote from: Holden on November 09, 2021, 01:22:11 PM
I'm not at home so I can't check but I'm sure I've got a couple of mono recordings. It wasn't on the Sony label.

Yes, there were some earlier mono recordings.  I think these are now in the last Sony issue of the set:

Holden

At home now what I have is basically all Sony.

4, 6, 7 & 8 from Paris 1961 Masterworks Portrait

5, 9 and 10 also from Sony on what they call Retrospective

I'd think that these are what's on the Sony and Profil editions.

I know I have something else somewhere from Biddulph but I'll have to actually look through my physical CDs to find it as it's also got some Mozart on it.

I still find it hard to go beyond these two.
Cheers

Holden

SonicMan46

Re-post just left in the listening thread - might be of interest here - Dave :)

QuoteBeethoven, LV - Sonatas Fortepiano & Violin w/ Ian Watson & Susanna Ogata for those who may want a recent period instrument recordings (done 2014-2017); the instruments are shown below (click to enlarge); but the fortepiano is by Paul McNulty (2000) after Walter and Sohn pianos from the early 1800s; the violin was built by Joseph Klotz in 1772 (Germany); the bow is an original, unlabeled pre-Tourte style model, likely French - reviews are attached.  Dave :)

George

I am now enjoying a first listen to this new set, which was pressed in Japan. I had been on the lookout for their old Philips twofer sets, as I love their Spring sonata. After a long wait this release thankfully popped up on amazon.

amazon link
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure