Top 5 Favorite Copland Works

Started by Mirror Image, June 01, 2015, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2016, 01:10:43 PM
A very fine list, Jeffrey. I like the Lincoln Portrait narrated by James Earl Jones. Quite good. What's your favorite performance of Symphonic Ode. There's several of them.
I like the James Earl Jones version too John but his narration is very very slow and also I keep thinking that it's being narrated by Darth Vader - who would not be an appropriate choice at all.  8)
That's a difficult question about the Symphonic Ode. I think that Copland's own version and the more recent recording by MTT are my favourites - how about you:
[asin]B000003G4A[/asin]
This CD is available for under £2.00 on Amazon UK - an incredible bargain.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2016, 01:57:44 PM
I like the James Earl Jones version too John but his narration is very very slow and also I keep thinking that it's being narrated by Darth Vader - who would not be an appropriate choice at all.  8)
That's a difficult question about the Symphonic Ode. I think that Copland's own version and the more recent recording by MTT are my favourites - how about you:
[asin]B000003G4A[/asin]
This CD is available for under £2.00 on Amazon UK - an incredible bargain.

Hah! Yeah, then there's the always reliable Henry Fonda narration. I seem to fall back on that one whenever I want to hear that work. I have to say that Schwarz's may be my favorite performance of Symphonic Ode, but I've really enjoyed all that I've heard: Copland's and MTT's. Yep, that's a great MTT recording right there. I've owned it for years.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2016, 02:06:38 PM
Hah! Yeah, then there's the always reliable Henry Fonda narration. I seem to fall back on that one whenever I want to hear that work. I have to say that Schwarz's may be my favorite performance of Symphonic Ode, but I've really enjoyed all that I've heard: Copland's and MTT's. Yep, that's a great MTT recording right there. I've owned it for years.
The Schwarz has recently been reissued over here on Naxos so I will be giving that another listen.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2016, 02:36:15 PM
The Schwarz has recently been reissued over here on Naxos so I will be giving that another listen.

Very nice. I own the original on Delos. Should give it another listen myself, but first the MTT! :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Hmmm I don't know a lot of Copland.

For now I think I am gonna say.......

Piano Variations
Night Thoughts
Short Symphony
Piano Concerto
Sextet

vandermolen

Quote from: jessop on August 04, 2016, 05:51:11 PM
Hmmm I don't know a lot of Copland.

For now I think I am gonna say.......

Piano Variations
Night Thoughts
Short Symphony
Piano Concerto
Sextet
Interesting list which eschews the more popular works. I like the Piano Concerto but need to listen to more of the chamber works.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2016, 10:50:04 PM
Interesting list which eschews the more popular works. I like the Piano Concerto but need to listen to more of the chamber works.
I have heard a few other works, but I remember enjoying these ones the most really. I really love it when Copland strips his music back to the simplest of ideas, clarity of line, harmony and orchestration. Grand, sweeping gestures and music for much larger forces are good fun, but I think his personal style shows more in the smaller works.

Mirror Image

I suppose an updated list will be needed now ( :) ) -

Billy the Kid
Short Symphony (Symphony No. 2)
Symphony No. 3
Symphonic Ode
Quiet City

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure it'll be different.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2017, 04:35:35 PM
I suppose an updated list will be needed now ( :) ) -

Billy the Kid
Short Symphony (Symphony No. 2)
Symphony No. 3
Symphonic Ode
Quiet City

Ask me again tomorrow and I'm sure it'll be different.
Be sure to post again tomorrow! I would probably have to change my list from last time too, since I have discovered remarkable works such as 'Connotations' and 'Inscape'

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on February 13, 2017, 04:56:22 PM
Be sure to post again tomorrow! I would probably have to change my list from last time too, since I have discovered remarkable works such as 'Connotations' and 'Inscape'

Connotations is a cool work, but I'll have to revisit Inscape as it's been awhile since I've heard it.

vandermolen

Prob still very close to my original list:

Symphony 3
Organ Symphony
Tender Land Suite
Symphonic Ode
Lincoln Portrait (Ormandy/Stevenson)

Of the ballet scores 'Billy the Kid' remains my favourite and if it was a 'greatest' list I'd include that in preference to the Lincoln Portrait.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on June 01, 2015, 07:07:53 PM
Appalachian Spring
Danzon Cubano
Symphony 3
Our Town
Clarinet Concerto
Quiet City
Danzon Cubano is one of the most life-affirming and enjoyable works I know. Quiet City is wonderful.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 14, 2017, 01:10:25 AM
Prob still very close to my original list:

Symphony 3
Organ Symphony
Tender Land Suite
Symphonic Ode
Lincoln Portrait (Ormandy/Stevenson)

Of the ballet scores 'Billy the Kid' remains my favourite and if it was a 'greatest' list I'd include that in preference to the Lincoln Portrait.

Still a winning list, Jeffrey. 8)

Monsieur Croche

Appalachian Spring, the full-length original in its orchestration for 13 instruments.
For me, quintessential Copland in his populist mode, and a masterpiece.
https://www.youtube.com/v/kt5Eq317bX8

In a most similar vein, The Tender Land.  The opera (I've read) suffers from a weak libretto, while if this well-known excerpt The Promise of Living is indicative of the quality of the remainder of the full score, the music, if not the libretto, is on a high level of 'success.'
...as staged by the Berkeley Opera, with, again my favored version, a pit orchestra of chamber dimensions.
https://www.youtube.com/v/tDAbNaF6EYQ
...in the composer's full orchestral concert suite version, with one of the more brilliant and effective photo montages set to classical I've seen!
https://www.youtube.com/v/oLVyRvp2Qbg

Vitebsk, piano trio, a Study on Jewish themes (1928)  in his 'serious / non populist' mode.  Far less known than his other works, and a strong piece.  Imo, this deserves more exposure, play.
https://www.youtube.com/v/JenRfoIYS_k
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Karl Henning

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on February 14, 2017, 06:08:44 AM
Appalachian Spring, the full-length original in its orchestration for 13 instruments.
For me, quintessential Copland in his populist mode, and a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/v/kt5Eq317bX8

Aye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Why is the full ballet recorded so rarely if it's only ten minutes longer than the suite?

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on February 14, 2017, 11:35:07 AM
Why is the full ballet recorded so rarely if it's only ten minutes longer than the suite?

Let's ask Bartok about his Miraculous Mandarin while we're at it. ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2017, 07:13:17 PM
Let's ask Bartok about his Miraculous Mandarin while we're at it. ;)
I've only ever listened to the full ballet...never the suite....

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: jessop on February 14, 2017, 11:35:07 AM

It's all about business:

Generally, union regs require time and a half remuneration for the musicians -- and ancillary stage crew -- if a concert runs over ca. one hour, twenty minutes.

A suite that is a little under/over twenty minutes' duration will fit neatly as programmed within the  duration time of a standard symphonic program, i.e. a symphony or concerto alongside two or three shorter works (plus that requisite ca. 20 minute intermission interval.)

The length of these pared-down suites also very much suited the 'programming' of how many pieces could be put on an LP vinyl recording -- ca. 60 min (usually a hair minus).  The later additional ca. 10 minutes' play time CD's afford probably has little or no effect on the expected duration of a more currently made suite, since concert presentation is still an important factor.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2015, 10:59:39 AM
Very nice list, Sarge. I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't know Eight Poems of Emily Dickinson. :-[

I forgot to mention these, too.  I know them in the piano and voice setting (don't even know if he orchestrated them.*)  They really are fine.
Voice & piano: Barbara Bonney, sop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Cao1tsgBE
*Just checked... orchestrated, Yep. Barbara Hendricks, LSO; Tilson-Thomas
https://www.youtube.com/v/TiZgLZgUR18