Top 5 Favorite Rachmaninov Works

Started by Mirror Image, June 02, 2015, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2019, 04:25:37 PM
Neoclassical is something I too hear here. The 2nd movement is especially good.

I hope that recording is in stereo and with good sound since Stokowski's recordings tend to be old and those recordings don't appeal to me that much.

The second movement combines the Slow Movement and Scherzo into one organism, which (it seems to me, I could be wrong) has not been remarked upon much by critics.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2019, 04:25:37 PM
Neoclassical is something I too hear here. The 2nd movement is especially good.

I hope that recording is in stereo and with good sound since Stokowski's recordings tend to be old and those recordings don't appeal to me that much.

Yep, it's in stereo. This performance was reissued by Newton Classics several years ago, but I believe this label is defunct now. It could probably be bought second-hand.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 30, 2019, 01:21:57 PM
I've never been too fond of the 1st Symphony.

Very surprised to read this, Cesar, considering we generally have such similar tastes! ;) To me, the First is a work of smoldering, cataclysmic intensity, especially that finale! But I will say that the slow movement is comparatively rather uninspired, certainly not up to Rachmaninoff's usual standards. I love all three (well, four, counting The Bells) of his symphonies just about equally - they're all wonderful in their own unique ways. Although nothing can quite beat the ecstatically gorgeous slow movement of the 2nd, IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 30, 2019, 10:22:36 AM
OK...one symphony, one concerto

Symphony No. 1
Piano Concerto No. 2
Symphonic Dances
The Bells
Suite for two pianos No. 1

I'm inclined to agree with this list, though depending on my mood I could substitute the 2nd symphony for the 1st or the Paganini Rhapsody for the 2nd concerto.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2019, 09:26:55 AM
Very surprised to read this, Cesar, considering we generally have such similar tastes! ;) To me, the First is a work of smoldering, cataclysmic intensity, especially that finale! But I will say that the slow movement is comparatively rather uninspired, certainly not up to Rachmaninoff's usual standards. I love all three (well, four, counting The Bells) of his symphonies just about equally - they're all wonderful in their own unique ways. Although nothing can quite beat the ecstatically gorgeous slow movement of the 2nd, IMO.

I'm not sure I agree as I happen to think The Mournful Iron Bells from The Bells is one of the most beautiful pieces of music Rachmaninov has written. It goes from this kind of brooding austerity, then builds up to a heroic outburst and then the way it ends with such opulent beauty is truly magnificent.

Symphonic Addict

Apart from the powerful beginning (which sounds almost the soundtrack for a Dracula's movie) and the 4th movement, I feel the thematic material of this work is not too strong, but I keep trying. And yes, the slow movement from the 2nd Symphony is one of the pinnacles in Rachmaninoff's music with no doubts.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

I'm with Kyle here, although 'The Bells' is his masterpiece I think. As for Symphony No. 1 ('Vengeance is Mine saith the Lord') - I think that it is the sense of looming catastrophe from the start which is especially appealing. After threatening to collapse into the abyss for so long the symphony finally topples head-long into into it during the coda. Magnificent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 03, 2019, 10:14:23 AM
I'm not sure I agree as I happen to think The Mournful Iron Bells from The Bells is one of the most beautiful pieces of music Rachmaninov has written. It goes from this kind of brooding austerity, then builds up to a heroic outburst and then the way it ends with such opulent beauty is truly magnificent.

Well, of course, Rachmaninov wrote so much beautiful music! :)

vers la flamme

Piano Concerto No.2
The Isle of the Dead
Piano Sonata No.2 in B-flat minor
Preludes op.23
Symphonic Dances

I'm not at all familiar with the symphonies yet. I haven't actually heard any of them. I am new to Rachmaninov's music.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 07, 2019, 12:56:58 PM
I suspect you'll like them.
I listened to Symphony No.2, the Ormandy/Philadelphia recording, and I did quite like it. But I understand that Ormandy recorded a version of the symphony with significant cuts. I need to hear the complete symphony now...

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 26, 2019, 12:51:30 PM
I listened to Symphony No.2, the Ormandy/Philadelphia recording, and I did quite like it. But I understand that Ormandy recorded a version of the symphony with significant cuts. I need to hear the complete symphony now...

The cuts were Rachmaninoff's own ... at the time, it was typical to perform it that way.  Plus, the two men were good friends.  Nowadays, it's usually performed without the cuts. 

Still, Ormandy's set of the symphonies is one of the very best with utterly incredible orchestral playing
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

ChopinBroccoli

I'll give it a shot

PC 2
Isle of The Dead
Symphonic Dances
Symphony No. 3
Symphony No. 2
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Christo

Quote from: Christo on June 02, 2015, 11:00:58 AMsome favourite pieces:

Symphonic Dances
All-Night Vigil
Piano Concerto No. 2
Symphony No. 2
Caprice bohémien

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2015, 05:20:56 AM
Today's list

PC 2
Symphony 2
Symphonic Dances
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Cello Sonata

Tomorrow's list may be different.  :D

Tomorrow's here, tell us what you think now.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on December 27, 2019, 12:23:40 AM
Tomorrow's here, tell us what you think now.  ;D

PC 3
Suite No. 2 for Two Pianos
Piano Sonata No. 2
Caprice bohemien
Piano Trio No. 2

Tommorow you can ask me again.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy