Top seven one movement symphonies

Started by vandermolen, June 04, 2015, 11:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on June 08, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
Clearly I need to seek out Robin Orr and that Brian person's 10th as this come close to being my list. I'd have Harris a bit higher.
They're not really in order. The Orr and Brian works are terrific so do look them out. The Brian is on Dutton.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 09, 2015, 12:58:34 AM
Samuel Barber, Symphony No. 1
Lennox Berkeley, Symphony No. 3
Havergal Brian, Symphony No. 8
Vagn Holmboe, Symphony No. 7
John Kinsella, Symphony No. 7 for orchestra and wordless chorus
Léon Orthel, Symphony No. 2 'Piccola'
Eduard Tubin, Symphony No. 10

Great choices - must revisit the Orthel.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 09, 2015, 01:24:31 PMGreat choices - must revisit the Orthel.

Must revisit the Orr.  ;) And oversaw that technically the Simpson Ninth is in one movement too (I think in his spoken explanation on the Hyperion CD he says he 'telescoped' the original second movement into the first and continued to expand it from there on).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 10, 2015, 09:55:19 AM
Must revisit the Orr.  ;) And oversaw that technically the Simpson Ninth is in one movement too (I think in his spoken explanation on the Hyperion CD he says he 'telescoped' the original second movement into the first and continued to expand it from there on).
One of my aims is to get my head round Simpson's Ninth which I have never got on with so far - clearly I am missing out. I do like his First and Third symphonies however.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2015, 11:18:42 AM
One of my aims is to get my head round Simpson's Ninth which I have never got on with so far - clearly I am missing out. I do like his First and Third symphonies however.

If it really counts as 1 movement then my list is:
Sibelius 7
Simpson 9
Barber (only)
Harris 3

with a few contenders for the remaining spots, which have been mentioned by others, but these 4 are clear.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 10, 2015, 09:55:19 AM
Yes, the Robin Orr work is very fine indeed on an interesting old EMI CD with Fricker's powerful Second Symphony ( the last few minutes are very exciting) and Simpson's Symphony 1 which is my favourite of his at the moment - although I will persevere with No. 9.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 11, 2015, 11:42:09 AMYes, the Robin Orr work is very fine indeed on an interesting old EMI CD with Fricker's powerful Second Symphony ( the last few minutes are very exciting) and Simpson's Symphony 1 which is my favourite of his at the moment - although I will persevere with No. 9.

Have it, played it. #butnotoftenenough  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SymphonicAddict

Some of my choices are divided in sections, but not in movements as such:

Bantock A Celtic Symphony
Langgaard 4 (or the 6th)
Myaskovsky 22 Symphony-Ballad
Pettersson 6
Schmidt 4
Simpson 9
Vasks 2

I could have included Orthel 2 (recently discovered thank Christo), Schuman 6 (today I listened to it again and I was mightily impressed), Barber 1, Harris 3, or Vine 3.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 01, 2019, 12:49:32 PM
Some of my choices are divided in sections, but not in movements as such:

Bantock A Celtic Symphony
Langgaard 4 (or the 6th)
Myaskovsky 22 Symphony-Ballad
Pettersson 6
Schmidt 4
Simpson 9
Vasks 2

I could have included Orthel 2 (recently discovered thank Christo), Schuman 6 (today I listened to it again and I was mightily impressed), Barber 1, Harris 3, or Vine 3.
Great choices Cesar ( mainly because I could have chosen the same ones  8)). I must listen again to the Simpson and the Orthel. Schuman's 6th is terrific, described somewhere as 'a Requiem for the 20th Century'.

I wonder if anyone will ever write a 'Brexit Symphony' with turbulent themes, going round and round in circles before crashing into chaos and ending with an extended mournful lament?

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 02, 2019, 05:22:45 AM
I wonder if anyone will ever write a 'Brexit Symphony' with turbulent themes, going round and round in circles before crashing into chaos and ending with an extended mournful lament?
Ah! Mahler did that one already, even a couple of times.  >:D

SymphonicAddict

Great choices Cesar ( mainly because I could have chosen the same ones  8)). I must listen again to the Simpson and the Orthel. Schuman's 6th is terrific, described somewhere as 'a Requiem for the 20th Century'.

Thanks!

I'd be eager to hear that alluring prospect of symphony! Let's hope some modern composer will take the challenge ;D

Maestro267

Penderecki: Symphony No. 5
MacMillan: Symphony No. 3 ("Silence")
Lloyd: Symphony No. 12
Brian: Symphony No. 10
Tippett: Symphony No. 4
Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie

Roasted Swan

Haglund Symphony

Premiered by Royal Stockholm Philharmonic a week ago..... full concert streamed here:

https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1258425https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1258425

remarkable work.......

Mirror Image

I don't listen to symphonies much these days and haven't for the past year, so I wouldn't know where to begin with my own list.

André

The Brexit symphony is likely to be a multiple movement work, more like an extended Suite  :D.

some guy

Just a mention of Webern and Zimmermann. And of Nørholm's ninth and Myaskovsky's tenth as well.

For the record.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 04, 2019, 05:18:26 AM
Penderecki: Symphony No. 5
MacMillan: Symphony No. 3 ("Silence")
Lloyd: Symphony No. 12
Brian: Symphony No. 10
Tippett: Symphony No. 4
Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie
Nice to see a plug for Lloyd's 12th Symphony which I also rate highly. I've just discovered, on the recommendation of a colleague, MacMillan's 4th Symphony which I thought was terrific so must investigate No.3 as well. Brian's 10th is one of his best I think.