Franz Liszt - A Critical Discography

Started by San Antone, June 11, 2015, 03:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Are there any recommended recordings of the complete series of "Soirées de Vienne" after Schubert?

Todd

Pickings are slim for the complete set.  I've got Gabriela Imreh's set, and it's not the most compelling Liszt I've heard.

There's a set by France Clidat, which I recommend every human on earth avoid, save perhaps Kim Jong-un, but even then it might be a war crime if he listened.

Philippe Cassard's version piques my interest, and apparently Jeno Jando recorded it for Hungaroton.  I have to think there's a Leslie Howard set out there, too.

The other names that pop up at Amazon are new to me, with Ingeborg Baldaszti the most intriguing because she has some Schubert proper discs.

I'd gamble on Cassard if I were in your position.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pat B

Quote from: Todd on May 31, 2017, 01:58:12 PM
Pickings are slim for the complete set.  I've got Gabriela Imreh's set, and it's not the most compelling Liszt I've heard.

There's a set by France Clidat, which I recommend every human on earth avoid, save perhaps Kim Jong-un, but even then it might be a war crime if he listened.

Philippe Cassard's version piques my interest, and apparently Jeno Jando recorded it for Hungaroton.  I have to think there's a Leslie Howard set out there, too.

The other names that pop up at Amazon are new to me, with Ingeborg Baldaszti the most intriguing because she has some Schubert proper discs.

I'd gamble on Cassard if I were in your position.

I'm not familiar with this music but the Cassard album, its title notwithstanding, apparently does not include the complete set:

Todd

Quote from: Pat B on May 31, 2017, 08:40:22 PM
I'm not familiar with this music but the Cassard album, its title notwithstanding, apparently does not include the complete set:

I guess I should have checked the contents.  That almost leaves Imreh as the default choice. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

merlin

I did not see Daria Telizyn mentioned for the sonata.  Marvelous performance.

San Antone

Quote from: merlin on January 20, 2018, 10:09:22 AM
I did not see Daria Telizyn mentioned for the sonata.  Marvelous performance.

This is what I have in my discography:
Daria TELIZYN
16-17 May 1987
Claudio CR3705-2
Duration: 34'38
Dutch critic and musicologist Jan van Voorthuysen wrote in Het Vederland:  "Even if I had heard only Liszt's notorious, grand Sonata in B minor, I would have been convinced that I had heard one of the greatest pianists. Years ago I heard her first teacher more than once and I am sure he could not have equalled her, for he could not have equalled Horowitz or Andor Foldes, whereas Daria Telizyn did! And with the greatest of ease! After having heard more than 10,000 concerts and after having written more than 8,600 reviews, after having heard the Liszt Sonata countless times, I simply feel bound to declare that after Daria Telizyn's unbelievable performance I feel completely flabbergasted."

https://www.youtube.com/v/dJtqmKekARM

At over 34 minutes her performance would be of the longer versions, but her playing is very good.  Thanks for mentioning her.

I seem to remember she died young and was unable to play during the last few years of her life. 

Dancing Divertimentian

From the WAYLT thread:

Hot on the heels of Kultyshev's remarkable Chopin Etudes (in my collection, not chronologically) comes his scorching recording of The Twelve.

As in the Chopin, Kultyshev again shows that there's nothing technically that he can't achieve. His technique, however, isn't force-fed on the listener in empty, angry pursuits. The central aim is more to flesh out the poetry in the music, by means of technically mastering the notes first, then applying liberal doses of imagination. End result: a new favorite Twelve.

A big plus is the extraordinary recorded sound. We hear everything.

[asin]B001RPWQ54[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach