Franz Liszt - A Critical Discography

Started by San Antone, June 11, 2015, 03:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on June 11, 2015, 07:59:11 AM
Listen to this, Busoni playing HR 13. Spiritual. Recorded on dog biscuits.

https://www.youtube.com/v/lGEDeH-1UL8

Thanks.  It is hard to fully appreciate it because of the lousy audio.  But enough came through to get an impression of the playing, which is, as you say, poetic.

71 dB

[asin]B004LHOZZO[/asin]
The sonics* of this set is insanely good. Bass is really rich but never boomy. I got this twofer a few days ago and I am really enjoying it! Probably the best solopiano recording in my classical music collection!

8)

* There is usual amount of spatial distortion, but moderate crossfeed makes headphone listening of this twofer really really really enjoyable.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

San Antone

Quote from: 71 dB on June 11, 2015, 09:01:16 AM
[asin]B004LHOZZO[/asin]
The sonics* of this set is insanely good. Bass is really rich but never boomy. I got this twofer a few days ago and I am really enjoying it! Probably the best solopiano recording in my classical music collection!

8)

* There is usual amount of spatial distortion, but moderate crossfeed makes headphone listening of this twofer really really really enjoyable.

I've heard Lortie play the B Minor Sonata, so I this recording looks to be very interesting to me.  Thanks.

Karl Henning

This is played on an Érard, and I like the entire disc very well:

[asin]B0002LGW18[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on June 11, 2015, 10:25:45 AM
This is played on an Érard, and I like the entire disc very well:

[asin]B0002LGW18[/asin]

I will give it a try since I usually enjoy period instruments, and Immerseel,but the Daniel Grimwood disc did not do it for me.

Thanks.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Just bought the MP3 of this ...

... since it has a couple of works I've not heard (but, there's hundreds of those) - and it appeared to be highly regarded by Amazon shoppers.

:)

Karl Henning

I have not listened to these three discs systematically (nor am I sure I have listened to them in entirety), but each piece to which I have affixed my ears, has been richly enchanting:

[asin]B0050F6JWS[/asin]

Favorites from this set include:

The Fantasia and Fugue on the Theme B-A-C-H, S529
First & second versions of La lugubre gondola, S.200
The Csárdás macabre, S.224
Unstern: sinistre, disastro, S.208
Variations on Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen, S.180
Nuages gris, S.199
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on June 11, 2015, 10:49:59 AM
I have not listened to these three discs systematically (nor am I sure I have listened to them in entirety), but each piece to which I have affixed my ears, has been richly enchanting:

[asin]B0050F6JWS[/asin]

This one I want to hear, I've read so much interesting stuff about it.  I have liked all of Brendel's Liszt that I have heard.  There is a lot of Brendel's Liszt on YouTube including a playlist of him giving some commentary and playing the Italian Annees that is excellent.

Dancing Divertimentian

Anything by Fiorentino (anything!). His series of "early" recordings on APR finds him in astonishing form. Unique on disc. Handily, many of these APRs are available on BRO's website.

Ovchinnikov, too, is solid. As is Kocsis in the third book of Années.

And not to forget any live Cziffra recital disc (studio is pretty good, too).

For the sonata, recs abound (second Richter) but a forgotten gem is an early Bolet disc from 1961 which captures him in his prime (unlike his Decca series). He's amazingly dexterous but what stands out most is the glimmering quality of his tone - like a high-noon summer sun reflecting off a crystal clear lake. There's more color per square inch here than we often get.

And the first concerto is every bit as distinctive.

Here's the disc on Amazon with a better photo below:

EDIT: here's a link with some samples

For the second concerto I enjoy Katchen, although I haven't heard his first concerto:

[asin]B00005UW3W[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Dadgummit, I have yet to listen to Hamelin in the b minor Sonata.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: karlhenning on June 11, 2015, 11:14:50 AM
Dadgummit, I have yet to listen to Hamelin in the b minor Sonata.

His was the best I've heard so far.  But I've got miles to go before I rest.

;)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on June 11, 2015, 10:49:59 AM

[asin]B0050F6JWS[/asin]

The Fantasia and Fugue on the Theme B-A-C-H, S529
First & second versions of La lugubre gondola, S.200
Unstern: sinistre, disastro, S.208
Variations on Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen, S.180
Nuages gris, S.199
Ooooh. I forgot about Brendel. I have this one (which I think has the same stuff, but also adds a couple discs, including the concertos). It's good too.
[asin]B005OSUKZ8[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on June 11, 2015, 11:20:36 AM
His was the best I've heard so far.  But I've got miles to go before I rest.

;)

As can be seen today, I find it easy to lapse into a Liszt habit!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 11, 2015, 11:22:38 AM
Ooooh. I forgot about Brendel. I have this one (which I think has the same stuff, but also adds a couple discs, including the concertos). It's good too.
[asin]B005OSUKZ8[/asin]

I admit to preferring the solo piano works to the concertos.  Could be over exposure to bad performances, but I will try my best to hear them, well at least the 1st, with fresh ears.

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 11, 2015, 11:08:53 AM
Anything by Fiorentino (anything!). His series of "early" recordings on APR find him in astonishing form. Unique on disc. Handily, many of these APRs are available on BRO's website.

There is an entire 6 CD box set of Fiorentino's Liszt recordings - 5 early, 1 late.

[asin]B00ACCQXKM[/asin]

Ignore the Amazon price. I got it for just $30 in January, so you should be able to find it from another site for a reasonable cost.

Brian

Quote from: sanantonio on June 11, 2015, 11:32:00 AM
I admit to preferring the solo piano works to the concertos.  Could be over exposure to bad performances, but I will try my best to hear them, well at least the 1st, with fresh ears.
I dislike the First Concerto mostly because it always makes me think of the M*A*S*H theme song.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sanantonio on June 11, 2015, 11:32:00 AM
I spent a long time listening to the clips until I found the approach I wanted. I think the best description of the concerto performances are Beethovian. Still, I think they are powerful performances, but mileage may vary, and in any case, I don't listen to these concertos that often. The solo stuff is excellent though with some nice highlights from Karl. I also think the Annees de Pelerinage are excellent. Doesn't leave much! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on June 11, 2015, 11:47:38 AM
There is an entire 6 CD box set of Fiorentino's Liszt recordings - 5 early, 1 late.

[asin]B00ACCQXKM[/asin]

Ignore the Amazon price. I got it for just $30 in January, so you should be able to find it from another site for a reasonable cost.

Nice, but at around $25/CD too much for my pocketbook.

;)

kishnevi

1) It took me a while to warm up to them but put me down as another yes vote for Jando's Hungarian Rhapsodies
2) Two more individual CDs not explicitly mentioned

3) And a set (back cover so you can see the contents)

Orchestral stuff!
4) A handy collection

5) But there is a PI recording I truly like.  No surprise to see who conducts.