New Jazz Releases

Started by San Antone, September 14, 2012, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on November 06, 2018, 04:31:40 AM
There is a new, fancily packaged/marketed issue, "Nightconcert," of Erroll Garner and his trio playing a midnight set in I think Amsterdam. I might put it on my Christmas list to find out how it is with no risk.

Can't go wrong with it, methinks!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

Quote from: Brian on November 06, 2018, 04:31:40 AM
There is a new, fancily packaged/marketed issue, "Nightconcert," of Erroll Garner and his trio playing a midnight set in I think Amsterdam. I might put it on my Christmas list to find out how it is with no risk.
Nobody gave it to me!

JBS

Quote from: Brian on December 25, 2018, 12:05:07 PM
Nobody gave it to me!

There's no rule that says you can't give a gift to yourself.
:P >:D

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=269-MD-CD

The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings
Mosaic Records Limited Edition Box Set

The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings
Paul Desmond was an artist who stood alone on the alto saxophone. His tone was light, but full. His improvisations were complex but always lyrical and direct. If Johnny Hodges was the seducer on alto, Desmond was the cool intellect always willing to engage all of your senses.

IN WAREHOUSE AND READY TO SHIP
Limited Edition: 2,500 copies
7 CDs

staxomega

Quote from: T. D. on April 24, 2020, 06:42:42 PM
Dark Tree (http://www.darktree-records.com/)  in France has some Horace Tapscott projects upcoming. I already purchased  WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN? – Live at LACMA, 1998 from them.
The info below is copied from an e-mail I received; the Ancestral Echoes doesn't seem to show on their website yet. BTW, Isoardi's previous book The Dark Tree (now oop, it included a fine CD) is outstanding.

Dear Friends,
First, we hope you and yours are doing well.
Then, here's an update regarding the upcoming BOOK, VINYL and CD announced a few weeks ago.
Meanwhile, stay safe!

Chers amis,
Tout d'abord, nous espérons que vous vous portez bien !
Ensuite, voici les dernières nouvelles concernant le LIVRE, le VINYLE et le CD que nous vous annoncions il y a quelques semaines.
En attendant, prenez soin de vous !

Bertrand Gastaut
DARK TREE
✭✭✭
DARK TREE is extremely proud to announce you the publication of:

DARK TREE est très heureux de vous annoncer la publication de :

THE MUSIC FINDS A WAY
A PAPA/UGMAA Oral History
of Growing Up In Postwar
South Central Los Angeles

by Steven L. Isoardi
with artists of The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra
and The Union of God's Musicians and Artists Ascension

✭✭✭

▶︎ AVAILABLE HERE!
▶︎ DISPONIBLE ICI !

To the USA, we can ship right now.
To France and the Rest of the World, we will ship around May 1st.

Les envois en direction des USA seront traités immédiatement.
Pour la France et le Reste du Monde, les envois seront traités aux alentours du 1er Mai.

✭✭✭

In the post World War II era, dozens of young African Americans in South Central Los Angeles found their way to careers in music. In a community facing challenging social conditions and with little to no outside support, they would become artists, supported by the best that their community and culture had to offer, from neighborhood and family to schools and churches, private teachers, formal and informal spaces and institutions, and more than a few unsung heroes.

"The neighborhood was tough, but it's not like it is today.... I mean I knew that we were not rich people, but I never, ever felt poor." — pianist Bobby West

"I was sitting up there tripping off of James Brown, and my cousin came in very angry. 'You need to stop all that bullshit and get turned on to jazz music, because it's a way of life.' That freaked me out, man, and I was freaked for the rest of my life." — trumpeter Jon Williams

"Our music is contributive, rather than competitive." — pianist Horace Tapscott

BOOK / LIVRE
100 pages (in English)
Front cover illustration and design by Paul Rogers

✭✭✭

HORACE TAPSCOTT
with the PAN AFRIKAN PEOPLES ARKESTRA
and the GREAT VOICE OF UGMAA

LIVE AT LACMA, 1998
✭✭✭

HIGH QUALITY VINYL
12" LP • 180g vinyl • Pressed by PALLAS in Germany
Flip back cover • 2-page insert

Liner Notes by Steven L. Isoardi
Photos by Warren Berman

Side A: Fela, Fela
Side B: Why Don't You Listen?

✭✭✭

The vinyl is ready but still waiting at the pressing plant: we can't stock it in our place, so we have to wait the end of the French lockdown (probably May 11) for a delivery to another address. However, Pallas (the pressing plant), was kind enough to send us 3 copies: it's gorgeous!!
It's already listed on Discogs where you'll find more photos and specifics.

Le vinyle est prêt mais toujours à l'usine de pressage: n'ayant pas la possibilité de l'entreposer, nous devons attendre la fin du confinement afin de le faire livrer à une autre adresse. Cependant, Pallas, a eu l'amabilité de nous en faire parvenir 3 copies : le résultat est merveilleux !
Le disque est déjà renseigné sur Discogs où vous trouverez plus de photos et de détails.

✭✭✭

HORACE TAPSCOTT
with the PAN AFRIKAN PEOPLES ARKESTRA

ANCESTRAL ECHOES
The Covina Sessions, 1976
✭✭✭

CD
Previously unpublished studio recordings!

This CD will include a 16-page booklet
with liner notes by Steven L. Isoardi, statements by Fuasi Abdul-Khaliq, James Andrews, Charles Chandler, Kamau Daáood, Kachina Roberts and Jesse Sharps, photos by Mark Weber and courtesy of the Horace Tapscott Archive and some rare documents.

1- Ancestral Echoes
2- Sketches of Drunken Mary
3- Jo Annette
4- Eternal Egypt Suite

The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra
Horace Tapscott, Aubrey Hart, Adele Sebastian, Jesse Sharps, Gary Bias, Michael Session, Fuasi Abdul-Khaliq, James Andrews, Charles Chandler, Amos Delone, Steve Smith, Lester Robertson, Wendell C. Williams, Red Callender, Linda Hill, David Bryant, Marcus McLaurine, Ricky Simmons, Ishmael Balaka, Moises Obligacion, Kamau Daáood.
Other possible participants: Herbert Callies, Dadisi Komolafe, Robert Watt.

✭✭✭

The CD will be soon at the pressing plant and might be available at the end of May.

Le CD sera bientôt à l'usine de pressage et pourrait être disponible à la fin du mois de mai.

Thanks for this post, I am mighty tempted by those Horace Tapscott releases.

T. D.

FWIW, this link is a good source of info on new jazz physical recordings:

https://www.dustygroove.com/coming-soon/jazz

Lots of Japanese issues and vinyl, but that's today's market...
Bandcamp has many interesting releases (downloads too). There's a "Bandcamp Daily" page, but I don't know of any convenient summary.
I'm on e-mail list for some labels (eg Dark Tree), check some others' websites (eg NoBusiness).

Brian

Anybody listen yet to the brand new Monk concert album (Palo Alto) or the brand new Art Blakey studio album with Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley?

Tom 1960

Quote from: T. D. on August 26, 2020, 07:59:57 AM
Sonny Rollins on Resonance, late Nov. / early Dec.
Only current info on Zev Feldman's Facebook page.

SONNY ROLLINS on RESONANCE! Coming November 27th for Record Store Day Black Friday. I'm honored and thrilled to announce "Rollins in Holland: The 1967 Studio & Live Recordings," Resonance Records' first archival release from the Saxophone Colossus himself, SONNY ROLLINS. Released in partnership with the Nederlands Jazz Archief this limited-edition 180g 3LP set and deluxe 2CD set (out Dec 4) is officially sanctioned by Rollins and is comprised of 3 different previously-unissued performances with bassist Ruud Jacobs and drummer Han Bennink in May of 1967 at VARA Studio 5 in Hilversum, the Arnhem Academy of Visual Arts in Arnhem, and audio from a televised performance at the Go-Go Club in Loosdrecht.
"Rollins in Holland" will include an extensive, over-the-top 100-page CD booklet and 24-page LP insert with a treasure trove of never-before-published photos from the actual performances, and essays by yours truly, Aidan Levy (currently writing a biography of Sonny Rollins for Da Capo Press) and my co-producer, the Dutch jazz journalist/producer Frank Jochemsen. I had the pleasure of speaking with Sonny for a wide-ranging interview, which will be included in the booklet, along with an interview Aidan had with Han Bennink and Ruud Jacobs at Ruud's home in 2018.

Looking forward to this release.

T. D.

I'm not fond of the bulky plastic-laden format of Mosaic releases*, but will definitely shell out for this upcoming set:

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/lennie-tristano/

Dot Time Records and Mosaic Records, in partnership for the first time, are thrilled to announce the release of Lennie Tristano Personal Recordings 1946 – 1970. This 6-CD set, due out on November 15, chronicles over twenty years of stunning creative output from jazz luminary Lennie Tristano offering listeners the most comprehensive portrait of Tristano's musical genius available.

*for instance, this will likely come in a huge 12"x12"x1+" package containing 2 fatboy CD boxes, when it could just as well fit into a space equivalent to one fatboy box. Granted there will be an elaborate booklet, but I'm downsizing and don't much care about that.

JBS

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 30, 2022, 06:16:43 PM
Asking is risky, but: What is this?

https://arkivmusic.com/collections/new-releases/products/miles-davis-the-bootleg-series-vol-7-194398638

The Arkivmusic blurb in extenso

MILES DAVIS: THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED, 1982-1985 - THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 7

Miles Davis – That's What Happened 1982-1985: The Bootleg Series Vol. 7 shines a fresh light on an underrated period of the musician's restless career-spanning quest for sublime and transcendent sounds.

The 3CD set includes two discs of previously unreleased studio material–from the Star People, Decoy and You're Under Arrest sessions–and a third disc showcasing Miles Davis Live in Montreal on July 7, 1983; the collection comes in a slipcase with individual album mini-jackets and a booklet featuring liner notes by Marcus J. Moore and revelatory new interviews with Miles' 80's players including Vince Wilburn, Jr. (drummer and bandmate), John Scofield (electric guitarist), Darryl Jones (bassist), Marcus Miller (bassist) and Mike Stern (guitarist).

Eight of the ten tracks on CD 1 are unreleased studio tracks from the sessions that resulted in 1983's Star People. The second studio album released after Miles' six-year hiatus from recordings and performing, Star People was the artist's last to feature the studio wizardry of Miles' longtime producer Teo Macero. Musicians include J.J. Johnson (trombone), Bill Evans (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Mike Stern (guitar), John Scofield (guitar), Marcus Miller (electric bass), Al Foster (drums) and Mino Cinélu (percussion) with Miles doubling on trumpet and keyboards (without overdubs). CD1's other two tracks–"Freaky Deaky, Part 1" and "Freaky Deaky, Part 2"–were produced by Miles Davis (trumpet and keyboards) and feature John Scofield (guitar), Darryl Jones (electric bass), Robert Irving III (Linn Drum programming) and Mino Cinélu (percussion). Recorded June 30, 1983 at A&R Studios in New York during the Decoy sessions, this previously unreleased cassette recording comes from the collection of John Scofield.

The second CD contains unreleased studio recordings from the sessions that gave us 1985's You're Under Arrest. Produced by Miles Davis and Robert Irving III, You're Under Arrest reflected Miles' polarity of passions, from politics to pop music; among its achievements, the album transformed then-contemporary hits like Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" and Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" into abiding jazz standards. Musicians include Miles (trumpet), Bob Berg (soprano saxophone), John Scofield (guitar), Robert Irving III (keyboards), Darryl Jones (electric bass), Al Foster (drums), Vince Wilburn, Jr. (drums, drum programming, percussion), Steve Thornton (percussion) and John McLaughlin (guitar on "Katia [full session]"). The previously unreleased recordings in this set were mixed by Steve Berkowitz and Dave Darlington in 2022 at Bass Hit Recording, NYC.

Disc 3 features Miles Davis Live at the Theatre St. Denis in Montreal, Canada on July 7, 1983. The recording showcases one of Miles Davis' final great bands including John Scofield on guitar, Bill "The Other Bill Evans" Evans on saxophones, flute and electric piano, Darryl Jones on bass, Al Foster on drums and percussionist Mino Cinélu. Miles was back in amazing form ("incandescent and iridescent as ever") when he mounted the stage at the Theatre St-Denis during the Festival International de Jazz de Montreal in July 1983.

I ordered it this afternoon. (I already have the previous six Bootleg sets.) Ironically I don't have any of the three albums involved.
For some reason Amazon only offers it for download.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 30, 2022, 06:34:57 PM
https://arkivmusic.com/collections/new-releases/products/miles-davis-the-bootleg-series-vol-7-194398638

The Arkivmusic blurb in extenso
I ordered it this afternoon. (I already have the previous six Bootleg sets.) Ironically I don't have any of the three albums involved.
For some reason Amazon only offers it for download.

Thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

This looks fun. Great title.

Both of them play piano on a couple tracks, too!

ando

Quote from: Brian on February 02, 2024, 05:38:01 AMThis looks fun. Great title.

Both of them play piano on a couple tracks, too!
March 22 release. Groovy sound.  ;D  Thanks.