George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on October 01, 2022, 04:25:27 PM

A killer album and a favorite of mine from Miles, but beware there is an issue with this MFSL remaster. It has a tape glitch --- I believe on the first track of the first disc, but, now that that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember exactly where it was, but this has been a complaint made by not just me, but several people who have bought this MFSL issue. Anyway, I own all of the Miles MFSL releases and they all sound top-notch. I believe I own around 5 or 6 iterations of Bitches Brew in my collection. It's a long-standing favorite, but my favorite period of Miles is still his 'Second Great Quintet' --- Sorcerer is, in fact, my favorite Miles album. As for post-Bitches Brew, if you haven't checked out Get Up With It or Agharta, then please do.

I hope you're happy with the fidelity of this MFSL release.

Brian

vers la flamme

Local record store finds yesterday.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Don't know the Hawkins album, but they all are wonderful albums!

Brian

From ImportCDs, which has a 10% off coupon this weekend:

JBS

From Arkivmusic's holiday gift guide sale.

This is Avishai the bassist/singer. As opposed to Avishai the trumpeter. Both CDs were released by Naive.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ando

The Encyclopedia Of Jazz: Swing Time (2008, Documents/Membran Entertainment Group)
I initially saw the entire 500 CD retrospective; each 100 CD set dedicated to an era (each disc within that dedicated to a single artist) sold as separate sets for $9.99 a piece at my local music shop. I walked away feeling it to be too wieldy to carry home. Then I saw the prices peeps were charging for this out of print collection. Went back and nabbed the Swing Time box. Much as I admire some Bg Band stuff I don't think I'd ever get through the entire 100 disc set (I've got an admittedly low threshold for that high decibel stuff). But Swing? Nothing like it. Took America out of the Depression doldrums and got em dancing again. You can still feel the magic listening to a lot of it today. I see that the entire set is up on ebay for $2,000. If I had my druthers, I'd buy it and donate the whole thing to my local library. They're in need of some love in these war-is-the-answer-to-everything times.

Mookalafalas

I bought the Big Bands, Bepop, and "Modern Jazz" boxes from a german label for $100 a piece, about 10 years ago. I did in fact give them to the international center in my school, and then play them continuously. I didn't know the two other boxes existed. I put Modern Jazz in quotes because it's just standard 50s and early 60s jazz (Miles Davis, etc.).
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 03, 2022, 10:34:58 AMLocal record store finds yesterday.

Amazing. I had all of those except that particular Art Blakey (at least, not with that sleeve), and loved all of them.
It's all good...

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 26, 2023, 07:00:18 AMAmazing. I had all of those except that particular Art Blakey (at least, not with that sleeve), and loved all of them.

So did I; that haul was me getting back into jazz after a couple years' hiatus. Now I'm back on 90% classical, and overdue to get obsessed with jazz again.

KevinP

I think I have all of them, though in my case it's the Hawkins/Eldrige title that I think I may have with a different cover.

Love the Art Blakey title (it's got Clifford Brown after all), though mine definitely has the early CD-era cover. The one pictured here is the original cover which later CDs adopted.

Don't think I have this particular Charlie Parker issue, but whatever's on it, I have.

Of the visible names, the only ones I've seen live are Art Blakey, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis and Red Rodney. Surprisingly, I don't believe I've ever seen Horace Silver despite his longevity.

ando

Thelonious Monk The Complete Riverside Recordings (1986)
Picked up this 15 CD set today from my local music shop for pennies on the dollar. I had NO Monk in my collection. Should remedy this glaring jazz omission.  :)

T. D.

Despite some duplication I got "All Monk", the cheaper Euro version of this set (16 CDs -I don't know why 16 instead of 15- with original cover art and booklets, no special box production), because it was really cheap at the time.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on March 27, 2024, 01:46:42 PMDespite some duplication I got "All Monk", the cheaper Euro version of this set (16 CDs -I don't know why 16 instead of 15- with original cover art and booklets, no special box production), because it was really cheap at the time.

I have that one; the cardboard box fell apart almost at once, but otherwise it's a good set.

I also have these two sets, along with a number of individual CD re-issues.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk