What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: aligreto on April 13, 2017, 08:14:09 AM
There is very little music or music making that I totally dislike but I have to be honest and say that I just cannot get past that Concierto de Aranjuez. I have tried but it just will not happen.

This one was one was tough to crack.  However, when it happened, it was wonderful. It took years and repeated plays,so I see your point as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on April 13, 2017, 06:11:50 PM
This one was one was tough to crack.  However, when it happened, it was wonderful. It took years and repeated plays,so I see your point as well.

OK, so your conversion period was a protracted one as opposed to and instant one, which is interesting. Thank you.

SimonNZ

Miles Davis - Agharta (1975)
John Surman - Westering Home (1972)

Blue Mitchell - Big 6 (1958)
mike LeDonne - The Feeling Of Jazz (1990)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 14, 2017, 06:11:23 PM

Blue Mitchell - Big 6 (1958)
Measured by the glorious line-up, I always found "Big 6" a bit of a disappointment ... and I think the same more or less applies to Mitchell's entire series of (fine, mind me!) Riverside albums. I feel similar about the series the label produced with Jimmy Heath. Both should be one great album after the other, but they're mostly just good, in some cases maybe a bit better than good. Haven't quite figured out why though, but have some ideas. With Heath it's the leader's restrained playing I think, I prefer some of his seventies albums, such as "Picture of Heath" on Xanadu, with Mitchell the Blue Notes of the working group seem to work quite a bit better, though the line-up isn't just as enticing as on some of his Riversides -Mitchell took over the Horace Silver quintet once Silver discarded the longtime Mitchell/Cook frontline (Carmell Jones and Joe Henderson were there replacements - I'm not blaming Silver for that!) - Mitchell got Chick Corea on piano and Al Foster on drums, on bass Gene Taylor for the old Silver quintet stayed on).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on April 15, 2017, 01:39:52 AM
Measured by the glorious line-up, I always found "Big 6" a bit of a disappointment

That was my reaction as well. Fine playing, but nowhere near as remarkable or essential as some reviews have it.

SimonNZ

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 15, 2017, 02:49:11 AM
p.s.: happy birthday, KU

Thanks - but that's only coming up on Tuesday ... just checked my profile and the date is correct there. Weird!

Now playing this new arrival:

And probably continuing with this other new arrival:

Like me some cornbread!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Dang, already had the Buckner/Singer ... will make a nice gift, I hope - bought too much without thinking lately.

Now playing, finally got this:

Great stuff!

Following up with this late Blythe recording - I've known it for a while, but finally acquired the disc:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Sam Rivers - Waves (1978)
Phil Robson - Screenwash (2004)

Wynton Marsalis - Thick in the South: Soul Gestures in Southern Blue, Vol. 1 (1991)

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Miles Davis - Live Around The World (rec.1988-91)
Kenny Garrett - Beyond The Wall (2006)

Hampton Hawes - For Real (1961)
Susie Ibarra - Radiance (1999)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

While I'm waiting for the Holdsworth box set to arrive, I'll be playing some Holdsworth albums on YouTube:

George

Still enjoying a first pass through this set. Today - CD 4.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 17, 2017, 09:51:44 PM

Yuri Honing - Seven (2001)

yes, tell me more. I recognize all the names, but can't put any music to it.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

My favorite Errol Garner record (Gems--Columbia LP)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on April 17, 2017, 10:12:35 PM
yes, tell me more. I recognize all the names, but can't put any music to it.

My first listen to this album, and, I think, anything of Yuri Honing. I was a little surprised that the three big names I knew well would take such a generally subservient role - this is not an album of open exchange between equals. Peacock nevertheless is showcased well and seems to have more simpatico with the leader than Bley or Motian. The album is highly regarded in some quarters so I'll try again, but today I found it cold and an under utilizing of the talent on offer.

now:

Amina Claudine Myers - Salutes Bessie Smith (1980)