Simon Nabatov - Around Brazil (2006)
Charlie Parker - [Savoy 9010] (1952)

James

Action is the only truth

Spineur

I decided to check this NY group with a french lead singer

[asin]B00M856CNY[/asin]

SimonNZ

Davis Murray - Now Is Another Time (2003)

James

Action is the only truth

king ubu

In concert last night, at Taktlos in Zurich:

Kaja Draksler Octet - thought-provoking, some of it heartbreakingly beautiful
Amok Amor - energetic stuff, Peter Evans is amazing ... but ultimately same-ish and somewhat dull in it's constant overdrive

Recent listens:

Three times outstanding! The Mitchell is Chuck Nessa's latest release (there's another new one around which I've yet to get to), the Atomic I snatched up from the sales bins at noon today ... lucky strike indeed!

The Evan Parker was recommended heartily by Alexander Hawkins recently, it sounds gorgeous and the music is absolutely stunning! Parker sticks to soprano, accompanied by Mark Nauseef on percussion and Toma Gouband on litophones ("musical stones"). Sounds weird? Well, sure, but it's beautiful!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Peter Bernstein - Brain Dance (1996)
David Kikoski - Mostly Standards (2009)

Jason Moran - Black Stars (2001)
Michael Marcus and Jaki Byard - This Happening (1997)

NikF

Joe Pass: Eximious.

[asin]B00004SAZL[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

king ubu

Obscure but excellent stuff! The first one is a two-disc set combining two sessions by the fine trumpet player (and one of the original boppers) Idrees Sulieman quartet with the amazing pianist Oscar Dennard who died way too young and recorded way too little. The first disc comes from a radio studio in Tangers and is in very good sound (it was released in 1989 by Somethin' Else), the second was taped at a jam session in Quincy Jones' NY apartment, sound isn't very good, but I guess all Dennard is welcome. And Sulimean can't exactly  be heard in small groups and with ample solo space all that often ("The Cats" with Coltrane is wonderful, he's two of Gene Ammons' Prestige jams, also on the great "The Hawk Flies High" by Coleman Hawkins ...)

Sulieman then went to Europe, where he joined the ranks of the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band. In Sweden, in 1964, he recorded "The Camel", which has a big band session with Sulieman now mostly on alto sax on the first half, while the second has him in quartet (and one track quintet with Bernt Rosengren) and on both trumpet and alto. This is an overprized so-so vinyl rip with plenty of noise, but the music is fun indeed.

Sticking to Americans in Sweden, this one's just about to finish:

More excellent stuff, this time in appropriate sound. Recordings by Bill Barron from Sweden, mostly made in 1966, but some later tracks are included, as well as short glimpse of Bill Barron's voice. In the booklet, there's a photo of Bill Barron and his Swedish wife Anna, who contributed a short liner note as well. Good stuff!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just caught a few minutes of these on KCSM, but very nice!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Herb Ellis: Nothing But the Blues.

[asin]B0000046TM[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Never thought I would see this one in a used bin.  Absolute must for the music and the cover is top shelf.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

Franziska Baumann and Matthias Ziegler - Voices & Tides (2007)
Sam Jones - The Soul Society (1960)

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

NikF

Easy Living - Paul Desmond.

[asin]B01BTJTSLW[/asin]

SimonNZ

John Stetch - Ukrainianism (2002)

NikF

Jimmy Raney featuring Bob Brookmeyer.

[asin]B000CIXCDM[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: James on May 08, 2017, 02:14:53 AM

The "knees"!

TD

Some Earl Hagen spy jazz....

If you are into "complete", Film Score Monthly does an incredible job with the music and their liner notes approach definitive.  This set i from 5 of the shows since all 82 shows had their own scores. :o
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz