What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Paul Barbarin - And His New Orleans Jazz (1955)
Pharoah Sanders - Live At The East (1971)

John Coltrane - Live in Japan (rec.1966)

disc four: the 57-minute "My Favorite Things"

NikF

Guy Lafitte: Blue and Sentimental.

[asin]B0041T7FEU[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Henk

A recent release. A great one. Scofield is sounding better than ever.

'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

NikF

Rene Thomas: Meeting Mister Thomas.

[asin]B00005EB1E[/asin]

His playing is often so driven, kind of like Raney but perhaps more rambunctious - and that's cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Henk

Good stuff, second album from this band. Might be better than the first album, but I need to relisten. Fusion, though acoustic instruments dominate. Some tracks reminded me of music by Herbie Hancock in his funk period. Others (on Amazon) refer to Weather Report of which Erskine was drummer.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

NikF

Hal McKusick: Now's the Time. (1957-58)

[asin]B000003N4B[/asin]

SimonNZ

Mundell Lowe - The Mundell Lowe Quartet (1955)

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 12, 2017, 03:53:14 PM

Mundell Lowe - The Mundell Lowe Quartet (1955)

^
That looks interesting for a number of reasons, not least of all that it's a guitar player right smack in the mid-50s - a period which contains many of the guitar sounds I love.

The Mellow Moods Of Jazz: Hal McKusick/Barry Galbraith.

[asin]B00002817N[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Gypsy Jazz: Various Artists.

[asin]B00TSFXZJ6[/asin]

There are a number of needle drops that make up the performances in this collection, but I consider them a small price to pay in light of the charm and spirit they possess.

SimonNZ

Mal Waldron - The Dealers (1957)
Pharoah Sanders - Wisdom Through Music (1972)

NikF

Alone Together: Jim Hall/Ron Carter.

[asin]B000000YQ3[/asin]

SimonNZ

Victor Feldman - Suite Sixteen (1955)
Pharoah Sanders - Karma (1969)

NikF

Jimmy Giuffre: The Four Brothers Sound.

[asin]B00DD0AGMQ[/asin]

More Giuffre shenanigans. Perhaps not quite as cool as 'Travlin Light', but it doesn't need to be.

SimonNZ

Billy Bauer ‎– Plectrist (1956)
Mal Waldron - Our Colline's A Treasure (1991)

NikF

^
Billy Bauer - Good stuff. That's on my 'Top ten mid-50s guitarist desert island discs'. ;D And I think his work with Lee Konitz is cool too. :)

Toshiko Akiyoshi:  United Notions.

[asin]B014JT752I[/asin]

I'm listening to this mostly for the contributions of Rene Thomas. Maybe later I'll revisit his 'Guitar Groove'.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Enjoying this one a lot lately. Can't even find a webpage or anything on them...

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Rene Thomas: Guitar Groove.

[asin]B01GGPNKUO[/asin]

Yeah, time for a listen to this.

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on June 16, 2017, 07:15:38 AM
^
Billy Bauer - Good stuff. That's on my 'Top ten mid-50s guitarist desert island discs'. ;D And I think his work with Lee Konitz is cool too. :)

I don't think I'd heard of Bauer before, but really enjoyed that one. I'll check out his work with Konitz - thanks!

now:

Errol Garner - Encores In Hi-Fi (1956)
Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ Of The Andes (1964)

Cecil Taylor - One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye (1978)